ImageImageImage

Playoffs 2024 - WCF - G1 - Mavs @ Wolves (Wed., 8:30PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,038

Playoffs 2024 - WCF - G1 - Mavs @ Wolves (Wed., 8:30PMEST) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Mon May 20, 2024 12:38 pm

The Wolves came back from a 20 point deficit to beat the Nuggets.

For some reason, the Wolves are heavily favored against the Mavs.

Towns/Reid will likely be the biggest problem here. Not sure what Maxi's status is... but it has always been a tough matchup.

I just hope that refereeing inconsistency isn't a thing in this series. If those guys are allowed to contact and grab Luka, then they better not be calling bs fouls everytime Edwards drives to the basket and yells (this literally happens on every drive, not looking forward to it).

Fingers crossed Luka builds up on the last game, Kyrie has his magic second halves and the rest of take turns impacting the game. The Wolves are a great story, but this feels like a golden chance to make the finals.
60/21/10
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,128

Re: Playoffs 2024 - WCF - G1 - Mavs @ Wolves (Wed., 8:30PMEST) 

Post#2 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 20, 2024 12:48 pm

Dirk wrote:Image

The Wolves came back from a 20 point deficit to beat the Nuggets.

For some reason, the Wolves are heavily favored against the Mavs.

Towns/Reid will likely be the biggest problem here. Not sure what Maxi's status is... but it has always been a tough matchup.

I just hope that refereeing inconsistency isn't a thing in this series. If those guys are allowed to contact and grab Luka, then they better not be calling bs fouls everytime Edwards drives to the basket and yells (this literally happens on every drive, not looking forward to it).

Fingers crossed Luka builds up on the last game, Kyrie has his magic second halves and the rest of take turns impacting the game. The Wolves are a great story, but this feels like a golden chance to make the finals.

The reason I like Ant more than SGA is he's not the foul baiter SGA is. Dude kept using his elbows in the lane to draw contact and falling on the ground flopping just to get calls that isn't really Ant. Unless they just change things up for this series for the Wolves who usually is not a ref darling like OKC I think there will be a lot of no calls both ways. There's also no Lu Dort to tackle Luka.

I don't make predictions but I like the Mavs chances. But either team could win.

If we get 90%+ healthy Luka like in Game 5 and 6 I'm feeling good, if he reverts back to Game 1 and 4 Luka where he can barely move we're probably in trouble.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 pm

No real shock, but everyone and their momma is picking Wolves. But the argument usually ends up being "Wolves are the better team because they won more games in the regular season" such a dense argument because Mavs got 2 of their 5 starters at the trade deadline, Kyrie missed 24 games, Lively missed time etc.. but good, I think Mavs thrive as the underdog.
dirkules_41
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,006

Post#4 » by dirkules_41 » Mon May 20, 2024 2:50 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:No real shock, but everyone and their momma is picking Wolves. But the argument usually ends up being "Wolves are the better team because they won more games in the regular season" such a dense argument because Mavs got 2 of their 5 starters at the trade deadline, Kyrie missed 24 games, Lively missed time etc.. but good, I think Mavs thrive as the underdog.

Yeah, Luka missed 2 of 4 games against the Wolves, Kyrie 3 of 4 and Gaff and PJ 4 of 4.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,457

Post#5 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 20, 2024 3:18 pm

Go Mavs!!
In the game Kyrie missed at home, Luka started supernova and they moved from single coverage to blitz, and no one on the team could hit a shot to save their life, and of course Mavs won the other home game, if the series will be officiated like games 2+3 against the Clippers, it'll be awesome...
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 20, 2024 3:23 pm

dirkules_41 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:No real shock, but everyone and their momma is picking Wolves. But the argument usually ends up being "Wolves are the better team because they won more games in the regular season" such a dense argument because Mavs got 2 of their 5 starters at the trade deadline, Kyrie missed 24 games, Lively missed time etc.. but good, I think Mavs thrive as the underdog.

Yeah, Luka missed 2 of 4 games against the Wolves, Kyrie 3 of 4 and Gaff and PJ 4 of 4.

What I meant was Wolves won 56 games Mavs won 50, but yeah that too.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,425

Post#7 » by Archx » Mon May 20, 2024 3:33 pm

There is only one player i fear the most and that is Naz Reid. :D

Other than that, can Gafford and Lively overpower Gobert? Can PJ defend KAT well enough? DJJ won't be able to guard ANT entire game because i feel he's going to be in foul trouble a lot. So either PJ or THJ from the bench will have to replace him. Not having Maxi is going to be a problem as well.

It's hard to imagine Mavs winning 4 games. The athleticism, quickness, rebounding, etc. Wolves have it all on defense. Mavs would need to shoot over 40% from range in all games to have a chance plus win the rebounding battle. It's not impossible but highly unlikely. Luka at 100% would obviously be a different story.
LondonWolf91
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#8 » by LondonWolf91 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:43 pm

I am a Wolves who comes in peace. I am just excited to be here based on how much of a historically bad team we have been.

I can see plenty of scenarios which can cause problems for each team.

May the best team win
Swish77
Junior
And1: 98

Post#9 » by Swish77 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:53 pm

Mavs will play Rudy off the floor like we did when he was with the Jazz. Mavs in 6. Should be a fun series.
Swish77
Junior
And1: 98

Post#10 » by Swish77 » Mon May 20, 2024 3:54 pm

LondonWolf91 wrote:I am a Wolves who comes in peace. I am just excited to be here based on how much of a historically bad team we have been.

I can see plenty of scenarios which can cause problems for each team.

May the best team win

Good luck to you as well.
agentofatlas
Sixth Man
And1: 1,021

Post#11 » by agentofatlas » Mon May 20, 2024 5:00 pm

I think the Mavs will pull this off.

Luka needs to establish himself early and hunt Conley down asap. Just so that it triggers the help and they could go to that 4 vs 3 scenario on offense they do so well.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,819

Post#12 » by Bob8 » Mon May 20, 2024 5:19 pm

Mavs were out after game 1 against Clippers, Clippers dominat without Kawhi and Luka in shooting slump. Then we were out after game 4, because Luka was injured/sick and in shooting slump. Then we were out after game 1 in OKC series, Okc too good and Luka injured/bad conditioned. And finally we were out after game 4, fat Luka the reason. Based on that I liked our chances a lot. ;)

Mavs in 6.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,162

Post#13 » by daoneandonly » Mon May 20, 2024 5:34 pm

SO happy Mavs made it this far.

This one will be tough. As much as I dislike him, Ant is a bonafide superstar. McDaniels is an ace defensive wing who knows his role, KAT can always go off when he's on, and yeah for some reason Naz Reid is KG when he sees Dallas on the other side. Not sure how this series will go, but WCF is a great feat.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 37,038

Post#14 » by Dirk » Mon May 20, 2024 7:10 pm

Swish77 wrote:Mavs will play Rudy off the floor like we did when he was with the Jazz. Mavs in 6. Should be a fun series.

This is from a Jazz fan.

So Gobert in this playoffs is +111 when he's on the court (the leader so far in the playoffs), has averaged 34 minutes a game in the playoffs, but so far this series is routinely getting played off the court and is unplayable in the playoffs.

Can anyone tell me how this works? Hell, yesterday there were a bunch of morons saying "see what happens when you get Rudy out of the game" in the 3rd quarter, despite that he was on the court during most of their comeback in that quarter.

Gobert hasnt been played out of games.
60/21/10
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,457

Post#15 » by Mavrelous » Mon May 20, 2024 7:23 pm

Gobert reputation was tarnished mainly becauseof two PO series:
2021 Clippers: this was an underrated team, 5th place in MVP voting Brunson was played off the floor by them, 6'5" - 6'9" long athleic of lights out shooting and suffocating defense.
2022 Mavs: Snyder defensive planand Mitchell matador defense mafe Brunson and Maxi impersonate Stephand Dirk
Gobert is a walking top defense by himself.
Mavs in 6, we smoke French baguettes for breakfast
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,238

Post#16 » by Micah Prescott » Mon May 20, 2024 7:30 pm

Mavs coming off playing that fast-paced OKC offense will come in handy here I think. Wolves are a defensive team and the Mavs are going to have to find the open man very quickly, and move the ball in general very quickly. They did exactly that vs OKC.
Apz
Head Coach
And1: 2,126

Post#17 » by Apz » Mon May 20, 2024 7:42 pm

Dirk wrote:
Swish77 wrote:Mavs will play Rudy off the floor like we did when he was with the Jazz. Mavs in 6. Should be a fun series.

This is from a Jazz fan.

So Gobert in this playoffs is +111 when he's on the court (the leader so far in the playoffs), has averaged 34 minutes a game in the playoffs, but so far this series is routinely getting played off the court and is unplayable in the playoffs.

Can anyone tell me how this works? Hell, yesterday there were a bunch of morons saying "see what happens when you get Rudy out of the game" in the 3rd quarter, despite that he was on the court during most of their comeback in that quarter.

Gobert hasnt been played out of games.

But they havent played any team that pick and roll. Suns have no point guard. Denver doesnt really have a point guard. Now they will be up against mavs that got 2 guys that is absolute elite at pnr. People say that McDaniels and so on will guard Luka. That is not how it will be, Luka/Kyrie decides who guards them and expect a lot of Lively setting high PnR to get Rudy out on the perimeter. Im not saying its 100% that Rudy becomes unplayable, but it would not surprise me. And KAT is long, but not very fast. If he guards DJJ or PJW they can just run, I really dont think he got the stamina to hang with either of those 2 and be good on offense. Conley we know got slaughtered last time mavs were up against him and Rudy.

The think twolves and mavs have that OKC lacked is a guy/guys that can go atomic and score 40-50. And ofc they have Naz the mavs slayer, who scares me the most of all on the twolves team.

I think it will be a fun series and looking forward to it.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 20, 2024 10:39 pm

How can you terrible and earn the right to ref in the next round? Don't be surprised if we get another Brothers game or 2.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Baz
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,901

Post#19 » by Baz » Mon May 20, 2024 10:42 pm

This is the match-up I wanted. Wolves & the Mavs are both playing with house money at this point in the playoffs. Neither team was expected to reach the finals before the season. From a mentality standpoint, I think the Mavs have the advantage having Kyrie, a champion, & Luka, who has been here before.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 20, 2024 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Dallas Mavericks