ImageImageImage

We couldve used Glen Davis

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Bob Ortegal
Junior
And1: 0

We couldve used Glen Davis 

Post#1 » by Bob Ortegal » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:13 am

Damn you Donnie! Get Fazekas some steroids please.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#2 » by dirkforpres » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:37 am

He's had one good game... Most likely, neither pick will make a significant impact on their teams anyways.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Bob Ortegal
Junior

Post#3 » by Bob Ortegal » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:50 am

One more than Fazekas has had. Unless you count the D league lol
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by ppp000 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:52 am

very impressed with Big Baby tonight but him and Bass are redundant players.
Rand10
Starter
And1: 39

Post#5 » by Rand10 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 3:54 am

Bass has had a much better year than Davis.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#6 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:07 am

Just another added bonus for Big Baby is that he gets to learn from KG. He's also becoming a fan favorite and he doing a good job with his conditioning.
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by ppp000 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:09 am

mavfan33 wrote:Bass has had a much better year than Davis.

my point was that it wouldnt make sense to draft Davis if we already knew we were going to get Bass b/c they are similar players.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,832

Post#8 » by dirkforpres » Sun Jan 6, 2008 4:20 am

mavfan33 wrote:Bass has had a much better year than Davis.

Bass also gets played a lot more..
FIRE JASON KIDD
jtg41
Sophomore

Post#9 » by jtg41 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 6:30 am

bass: strength + finesse

davis: strength

which one you want?
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#10 » by SaintofKillers » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:46 am

jtg41 wrote:bass: strength + finesse

He's also athletic and when his mind is into it (like in Atlanta) can be a really devastating defender.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#11 » by catalyst » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:02 pm

Plus they are both LSU Tigers
oldeagle
Senior

Post#12 » by oldeagle » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:45 pm

I think it is just natural we compare Big Baby to Faz. We passed up the Babe to select Faz. So if Babe does well we will second guess ourselves.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by catalyst » Sun Jan 6, 2008 2:54 pm

One was a much poorer version of what mavs already have, and the other was an inside scorer, something desperately needed. Mavs guessed wrong, and I think, and said back then, will pay for their mistake. So what if he had not played much here. He is a different type of player here, and would have been a solid contributor given time and coaching. No team in the league has more coaches than dal
War of the Lamb
Sophomore
And1: 18

Post#14 » by War of the Lamb » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:26 pm

Anybody who says BB and Bass are the same player doesn't understand the game. BB has a very high basketball IQ. He seems to always be in the right place and his passing ability is creative, quick, and accurate. His footwork is fast for anyone let alone a 300 lb. guy. If he gets in better condition he will be dynamite.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#15 » by JES12 » Sun Jan 6, 2008 7:56 pm

BB = Brandon Bass
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by FGump » Sun Jan 6, 2008 8:29 pm

Davis is a chunky small forward who plays under the rim. (I seriously wonder if he can dunk, even though he's 6-7 or something.) Just watch his highlights, and you realize he probably has a pretty low ceiling on his potential because he just is too earthbound.

I think Fazekas is the same player as Davis, except Fazekas is an earthbound 7 footer who likes to score inside and Davis is an earthbound smaller guy who likes to score inside. Fazekas also has a much better outside shot as needed. I'd much rather have Fazekas.

Boston didn't sign Davis until very late, and I doubt he'd be getting hardly any play if they weren't so thin.
myconsumerclub
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#17 » by myconsumerclub » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:02 pm

ditto
myconsumerclub
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#18 » by myconsumerclub » Sun Jan 6, 2008 10:14 pm

Fazekas last 3 games in the d league has averaged 23.66 ppg and 9.66 rpg. The kid is starting to develop.

I bet Faz has a longer career and out stats big baby considerably.

I see him joining the Mavs roster soon if he keeps it up.

Bass is a beast and gives us a lot better player as well to have both Faz and Bass is a total no brainer. Considering Bass is a PF that can play SF and small ball C and Faz is a shooter that can play C and PF and shoot like a SF I'd say his size and ability to grab boards makes him a lot more valuable. Big Baby is to short and fat to make it as a PF but in the east he should have an easier go at it.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 7, 2008 2:43 pm

BB = Big Baby?

I have never seen faz play, but all that I have ever heard about him is that he has never taken a shot within 18 feet. All I have heard is he is an outside shooter, not an inside guy. His strength, which is mentioned in the article, is still lacking.

I got the reprot from draft express, and the story says that he needs more strength to get inside. He has moves, but no real muscle to get in there. Davis has shown against the SEC and Tournament teams that he could dominate inside. He does have the added dimension of no self control at the table.

I think we are talking about very slight role players here, and should nto get into too much of a twist. My biggest issue has been the mavs having too many of the same players. Dirk backed up by KVH and Croshere did not work. I wanted mavs to have someone inside to back up dirk to throw a twist in the mix. Picking up Bass hsows that they seen the need too. Would it have been so badk to have davis and Bass in camp to see who could have better handled the role? I do not want mavs to become the Knicks with 5 exactly the same players. Different skills make better teams.

Anyway, too late to act this season. It appears that the mavs future might be Bass backing up dirk and Faz backing up Damp if faz can put on some long lasting muscle. Davis could not do that.
Realmavsman
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by Realmavsman » Mon Jan 7, 2008 3:43 pm

Good Analysis Catalyst. I think that in the draft you should take the best player available regardless of position. Now if it is down to two players and they are both fairly close then you can let your current roster decide by taking the guy that best fills a need.

I am not sure if the Mavs had Big Baby higher on thier draft board or not but my guess is that even if they did it was fairly close. And I think they drafted Faz not so much as a replacement for Cro or KVH but more as another option at Center. We have very little offense from the Center position and I believe that rather than have 3 Centers all of which are very similar (Damp, Diop and Mbenga). They decided to go with Fazekas to have a different type of option at Center. In Summer league they played Faz at Center exclusively. And he was pretty good at the pick and roll. I think if he can build some strength and be able to hold his own on the inside then he could be a valuable option.

I also believe that the development of Bass has made it easier for the Mavs to let Faz develop in the D-League. Bass has actually been playing some Center on the Mavs team. And if he is an option at Center then it is easier to leave Faz in the D-League much longer.

Return to Dallas Mavericks