Nets-Portland-Dallas

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

oldeagle
Senior
And1: 0

Nets-Portland-Dallas 

Post#1 » by oldeagle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Nets in three-way talks for Kidd

The New Jersey Nets are in serious negotiations with the Dallas Mavericks and Portland Trail Blazers about a blockbuster three-way trade that would send Jason Kidd to the Mavericks, league sources said Wednesday afternoon.

In the proposed trade, Dallas and Portland would send the Nets a package that includes the Mavs' Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse and Blazers forwards Travis Outlaw and Channing Frye and guard Jarrett Jack. Mavericks point guard Devin Harris would be sent to Portland. Along with Kidd, the Nets would send reserve forward Malik Allen and center Jamaal Magloire to Dallas.

The Nets would also receive at least one future No. 1 pick and cash. It's expected that New Jersey would work a buyout with Stackhouse and allow him to be a free agent. Other players could be included to balance the exchange of contracts.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#2 » by FGump » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:45 pm

Old news, same story, much discussed here already in other threads.
oldeagle
Senior

Post#3 » by oldeagle » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:48 pm

Sorry , I didn't see where League sources confirmed before, along with the buyout of Stack.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Post#4 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:53 pm

Bottom line is plug all those names into Real GM Trade Machine and it does NOT work.

Other players could be included to balance the exchange of contracts.

The question remains which players would be included? It's obvious it would have to do with Portland. Dallas and New Jersey are okay as far as the current trade goes...
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#5 » by dirkforpres » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:09 pm

I highly doubt this trade would happen just because the Mavs would never trade Devin, especially with Kidd playing in his final years... Im pretty sure they'd stick with the roster we got before we would trade 2 key players for 2 players on the downside.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#6 » by studcrackers » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:47 pm

could you imagine a lineup of harris/roy/outlaw/aldridge/oden

just give up for a decade if oden's healthy, once he comes into his own they'll probably dominate regardless
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Varsity878
Freshman

Post#7 » by Varsity878 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:49 am

studcrackers wrote:could you imagine a lineup of harris/roy/outlaw/aldridge/oden

just give up for a decade if oden's healthy, once he comes into his own they'll probably dominate regardless

Outlaw is one of the names included in the package. So its likely it will be Oden/Aldridge/Webster/Roy/Harris for the future. Still not bad either way.

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:
The question remains which players would be included? It's obvious it would have to do with Portland. Dallas and New Jersey are okay as far as the current trade goes...

I agree. The deal becomes complicated because of Harris's PPP contract and Outlaw's BYC value. Now if Portland sends out Webster instead of Outlaw, it brings the numbers closer.
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#8 » by ppp000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:33 am

your_dallas_mavericks wrote:Bottom line is plug all those names into Real GM Trade Machine and it does NOT work.

Other players could be included to balance the exchange of contracts.

Who said the Mavs are ok with that? If you go by the Dallas newspapers and even the current SI article, the Mavs are not willing to give up Harris.
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Re: Nets-Portland-Dallas 

Post#9 » by cmavswin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:55 am

oldeagle wrote:
In the proposed trade, Dallas and Portland would send the Nets a package that includes the Mavs' Devean George and Jerry Stackhouse and Blazers forwards Travis Outlaw and Channing Frye and guard Jarrett Jack. Mavericks point guard Devin Harris would be sent to Portland. Along with Kidd, the Nets would send reserve forward Malik Allen and center Jamaal Magloire to Dallas.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Another thing -- because of the one-year veteran contract that he signed, Devean George, who has been mentioned as part of any deal involving Kidd, would have to give his approval for a trade. I'm guessing here, but playing for the Nets rather than a championship contender would not seem to be appealing.

http://startelegram.typepad.com/mavs_fu ... sense.html

Something tells me Devean George is not going to Jersey.
from_ro_to_dirk
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#10 » by from_ro_to_dirk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:25 am

Mavs to get Kidd for George and Harris basically? I'm all over that, no questions asked, if Harris is going to the Nets. BUT, Harris going to the Blazers makes me scared about how good these guys will be next year and so forth. Basically we'd have a window of this year and next year to win our title. After that, no gaurentees until we find another PG.

But yah, adding Kidd, then getting Stack back when he's cut? Dallas = front runners for title. Of course i remember we were the front runners last year too...
Varsity878
Freshman

Re: Nets-Portland-Dallas 

Post#11 » by Varsity878 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:27 am

cmavswin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Another thing -- because of the one-year veteran contract that he signed, Devean George, who has been mentioned as part of any deal involving Kidd, would have to give his approval for a trade. I'm guessing here, but playing for the Nets rather than a championship contender would not seem to be appealing.

http://startelegram.typepad.com/mavs_fu ... sense.html

Something tells me Devean George is not going to Jersey.

In all likelihood if the Mavs-Blazers-Nets agree upon a deal in principle, the Nets will likely consult with George and his agent about a buyout as soon as he gets to New Jersey in order for to get him to waive his no trade clause. It would give him an opportunity to go to a contender elsewhere and get more playing time.
Pugsley_2491
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#12 » by Pugsley_2491 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:18 am

in the rumored trade, it involves stack coming to NJ. Now I'm a big stack fan but wouldn't it make more sense for both teams to use KVH's contract? Just sign him for whatever will make the salaries work. I hope this trade goes down, I really want outlaw on the Nets. And I can just imagine what Kidd will do playing back in dallas and having a legit shot at a title. Seriously, some fans don't want to give up Harris but getting Kidd will give you the best shot at a title rather than keeping Harris. I'd also like to see you guys win the title this year since you guys got screwed against Miami.
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by ppp000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:37 am

Here's what I think:
-there is NO incentive for Portland to do this trade, giving away 3 key guys for Harris.

-The whole trade is bogus. The Mavs are not budging for Harris OR the Nets do not want Harris and so they are both trying to get a 3rd team involved...thus Portland, which is a young, up and coming team that has no reason to make a significant trade unless there is high reward, which isn't the case here.

-The Mavs also do NOT have any incentive to lose depth and Harris. Good for those who think Kidd = guaranteed ring, but in the loaded West we are 30-13 and last I checked, doing very well with an improved Harris. If we wanted to make a big change, we would do so to get what we most need: a SG and a C.

-The Nets could do better than dealing with the Mavs. Maybe they should deal directly with Portland if the Blazers really are willing to give up 3 youngsters for a PG.
Pugsley_2491
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#14 » by Pugsley_2491 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:45 am

JES12
RealGM
And1: 125

Post#15 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:21 am

Pugsley_2491 wrote:http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-29-124/Trade-Rumors-are-Fun-.html
Thanks for that link. That article pointed out that Harris is the 9th best PG and Terry is the 10th best PG in the league above names like Jason Kidd (17), Gilbert Arenas (16), Mo Williams (15), Andre Miller (14) , Kirk Hinrich (31), Rajon Rondo (20), Jameer Nelson (25), Raymond Felton (34), and many others.

It seems, according to Hollinger, both of our PG's are better than Jason Kidd. Interesting and LOL!

So assuming Hollinger has any credibility (which, I'm not really conceding) we have we have two of the top ten PG's in the league and somehow we are in trade talks to gut our team for the 17th best PG whi is paid 7 mil more than all 3 of our PGs combined?

BTW, the only reason Barea is not on that list somewhere is that he does not get enough minutes from our two top 10 PG's.

BTW, I still love my sig that mavsfoty made for me!
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 4,081

Post#16 » by Cassius » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:09 am

If you have the opportunity to start

Kidd
Terry
Howard
Dirk
Damp

with

Barea
Eddie Jones
Buyout Stack
Diop
Magloire

You do it.

With 18 fouls to hack off on Boozer, Garnett, Lebron, Bynum & Duncan and a PF/PG in Kidd to match up with whoever the Warriors want to send out against you... you're not losing.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
JES12
RealGM

Post#17 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:16 am

No I wouldn't.

I'd much, much rather have Harris than Kidd.

Edit: AND, I'd rather have Diop than Magloire and I rather a real SG start with Terry off the bench.
JapanAir21
Junior

Post#18 » by JapanAir21 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:26 am

Exactly, most Mavericks fans are cautious with having Kidd because Harris fits SO WELL for the Mavericks. I mean, is Kidd going to be a sparkplug if the Mavericks need him to score 7-8 points in a matter of minutes? No. Getting Kidd would kill our depth/bench, the thing that makes the Mavericks so good.
ppp000
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by ppp000 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:32 am

UPDATE from Stein: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3223513

(unfortunately), He says the mavs ARE willing to trade Harris. It even mentions a Diop or Bass deal in it. The trade is stalled b/c Portland doesn't want to pull the trigger and maybe some hesistation by the mavs. either way, if we give up Harris and Diop and become an unbalanced team for Kidd, I will laugh when we fail in the playoffs again. Kidd does not mean automatic ring, they don't hand those out for making a big trade for a team that's 30-13 and contending every year.
JES12
RealGM

Post#20 » by JES12 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:39 am

ppp000 wrote:UPDATE from Stein: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3223513

(unfortunately), He says the mavs ARE willing to trade Harris. It even mentions a Diop or Bass deal in it. The trade is stalled b/c Portland doesn't want to pull the trigger and maybe some hesistation by the mavs. either way, if we give up Harris and Diop and become an unbalanced team for Kidd, I will laugh when we fail in the playoffs again. Kidd does not mean automatic ring, they don't hand those out for making a big trade for a team that's 30-13 and contending every year.

I'm about to change my sig until after the trade deadline as my quest for Harris to remain a Maverick starts NOW.

I would love a sig that would help me in my cause, but for now, I would have settle for a plain Harris one.

Return to Dallas Mavericks