A) Diop & KVH for Shaq
or
B) Marion and Banks for Shaq
FIRE JASON KIDD
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Re: OT: Which would you rather see happen? 

Post#2 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:39 am

dirkforpres wrote:Which one helps the Mavs more?:

A) Diop & KVH for Shaq
or
B) Marion and Banks for Shaq

On the other hand I'm going to be thrilled to see Marion out of Phoenix.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#3 » by Pointguard01 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 6:46 am

Honestly, Marion leaving PHX in place of an declining center is perfect for Dallas. Nash's ability to drive the lane is so much less important. Amare not guarded by Diop/Damp nearly as much is just as nice. They have no one to come close to guarding Dirk.

Shaq might help us out a bit, but I dont think he has much left in him (though he undoubtedly will give more effort in PHX/DAL than MIA). The reason we all think we need a change is more-so against the fast-paced running teams, and PHX might be helping us out without us even making a move. I love it.
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#4 » by JES12 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:17 am

Adding 20 mil of salary while losing our only under 32 Center would bee horrible finacially due to tax and beeing unable to sign free agents (well, reluctance to) and due to beeing able to run up & down the floor and due to knowing we won't have two 10+ mil centers beeing on the injured list. In addition, the Suns' Drik stopper and 1/2 of the alley hoop tandem is gone! Therefore, I choose bee!
italy_23
Sixth Man
And1: 8

Post#5 » by italy_23 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:25 am

I guess its a win-win for us
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#6 » by catalyst » Wed Feb 6, 2008 1:35 pm

I think Marion is much more valuable to PHX than shaq will be . Makes e think this trade is bunk, or Marion is just such a pain to phx.
your_dallas_mavericks
Starter
And1: 5

Post#7 » by your_dallas_mavericks » Wed Feb 6, 2008 2:25 pm

It slows Phoenix down with or without Shaq in the lineup
It puts Amare not Marion on Dirk defensively
It hurts Phoenix on the FT line
It lowers the scoring in Phoenix (no Marion, add old Shaq)
It will eliminate the Suns from contention due to salary cap hell down the road forcing key players to be signed by other teams.

What is not to like. I choose B
If we could just close games with Luka, Kyrie, Green, Maxi, and Wood that'd be great...
jwa1107
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#8 » by jwa1107 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 7:32 pm

Marion in MIA and Shaq in PHX helps DAL
more than Shaq to DAL for KVH & Diop

Marion on Dirk >>>>>> Diaw/Skinner/Amare/Hill on Dirk

and Shaq just doesn't seem to match the D'Antoni offensive system that well...

a lineup of
Shaq/Amare/Hill/Bell/Nash is less trouble for DAL than Amare/Marion/Hill/Bell/Nash
because it allows DAL to play Damp more

Damp/Bass/Dirk/Howard/Harris forces Amare to Bass and Hill on Dirk, Bell on Howard and Harris on Nash wherein DAL gets a clear advantage with Dirk and Harris

on the opposite end, you've slowed down PHX immediately by adding Shaq and Damp can do a decent job defending him and although ultimately a matchup win for PHX not nearly as much as in the past. Bass on Amare is in PHX favor and if Harris is as good a defender as many seem to think he is, DAL has more matchup wins on the defensive end too.

seems like a give up by Kerr on D'Antoni's system to me...
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by catalyst » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:40 pm

The knee jerk is not as bad as gasol. I wonder what the response would have been with Shaq fu in Dallas. This is certainly a better deal than anything for KVH.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by catalyst » Wed Feb 6, 2008 9:41 pm

Do you think Any of the other teams will take KVH+1st for the following?

Miller?
Artest?
Kidd?
Carter?
Andre Miller?
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#11 » by jwa1107 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:27 pm

any team looking for an expiring would take KVH & a 1st & one useable/youthful player (Diop? George? Ager? Faz?)

the question becomes:
1) how desperate is that team for the big expiring?
2) is DAL willing to take on the extra salary and luxtax for that player?

the answer to the latter has to be contingent on the value to this roster (i.e. being a big upgrade); of that list only VC is a better option than when we have now.

I think Miller is out of the question if we're going to keep giving minutes to Damp and Bass and Diop at C. And he's not a huge upgrade enough to justify paying his 23m over the next two seasons and it ties you into both Damp and Miller at C for over 9m apiece each season. You've automatically agreed to not resign Diop if you trade for Miller.
jwa1107
General Manager

Post#12 » by jwa1107 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:28 pm

^^^ unless of course you meant Mike Miller (and not Brad Miller), at which point MEM should be all over a KVH & 1st & Ager deal, as should DAL

(at least I didn't think it was Reggie Miller!)
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Post#13 » by JES12 » Wed Feb 6, 2008 11:40 pm

catalyst wrote:Do you think Any of the other teams will take KVH+1st for the following?

Miller?
Artest?
Kidd?
Carter?
Andre Miller?

If Kidd signes a 10 year contract right now, with 40% of the season left to go, that's like paying him 25 mil for a year. Would a team really want to pay that rate for an expiring? Like Artest... only $2.96 mil left this year and min on a S&T KVH deal would be $5.84 mil for the 25% rule, but that is more than what they owe Artest. I really doubt KVH gets used this season and starting to think he never will.

Going backwards:

Why on earth would we want Andre Miller?

Stack, Hassell and maybe a 1st for Carter. That saves them 28 mil of guaranteed money (47 if you count Carter's unguaranteed last year). That's as good as I do.

Kidd - only if we retain out big 3 and use Harris as more of a SG like DDan suggests

Artest:
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

........................Mike Miller...................
This may sound wierd and somewhat under the table, but it goes on in negotiations everywhere and can work here.

Hassell (3 yr 13.05 mil)
George (1 yr $2,369,111)
for
Miller (3yr 27.39 mil)

Hassell has about 1.85 mil left this year and George has 1 mil left this year. Dallas can add the max (3 mil) to help buy out Hassell and then agree to resign Hassell. Hassell would have to agree to a cheap buyout that would include this year and next year and forgoing his 3rd year player option. He is still due, assuming he does not opt out, 10.55 mil over the next 3 years. If he agrees to a pre-arranged buyout, similar to Francis, of 4 mil (1.85 this year and 2.15 next year), Dallas can resign him with our MLE ($5.356)

From Hassell's POV, he already made $2.5 mil in his stay in Dallas + 4 mil buyout in Memphis + $5.356 in the last part of the year netting 11.856 in one year compared to his 13.05 mil 3yr deal. He loses 1.194 mil, which would be his vet min next year (worst case scenario).

From Memphis, POV, (Hassell's resigned salary - 7 yr vet min)/2 > his salary owed by Memphis, so they can file a set-off so Hassell will not affect their cap hit this year and only be knocked a little next year (2.15 - (next year's salary-$1,141,838)/2). And since Dallas sends 3 mil cash, they pay for 75% of his buyout.

So in essence, Dallas can make Hassell appear almost like an expinring contract to Memphis, free Hassell up to go anywhere he wants in the offseason without losing money and Dallas gets the player they want.

Return to Dallas Mavericks