George ready to win shooting guard job

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,064

George ready to win shooting guard job 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:09 am

Finally healthy, Devean George knows that if he can stay that way, he can make a run at the starting job at shooting guard.

"It’s a revolving door," George said after he played 15 minutes in a reserve role in his season debut Friday in the 91-76 victory against Memphis.

Antoine Wright opened the season as the starter, followed by Jerry Stackhouse, then Jason Terry and finally Gerald Green, who’s made five consecutive starts.

Coach Rick Carlisle prefers to bring Terry off the bench to allow him to concentrate on scoring. Green hasn’t played more than 14 minutes in any of the five starts and was kept on the bench to begin Friday’s second half.

At 6-foot-8, 235 pounds, George, in his 10th season, has the size and agility to defend bigger shooting guards, and he has the mind-set to do the dirty work and enjoy it.

"I’ve played with great players, so I’ve had to make my mark being an energy guy, finding other ways to get minutes on the floor other than just putting the ball in the hole," said George, who won three titles with the Lakers.

Carlisle pushed to re-sign George in the off-season after it appeared he was set to leave Dallas after two injury-plagued seasons.

Link
JES12
RealGM
And1: 122

Re: George ready to win shooting guard job 

Post#2 » by JES12 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:26 am

:lol:

Sorry, did not even read the article...the title was funny enough.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#3 » by DDansby123 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:49 pm

George is easily the best defender of the group, but it's the offense that's dragging this team down right now. If it were reversed, I'd put George in there and give him a shot. Hell, I might give him a shot anyway. The team could use his energy.
mffl_14
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#4 » by mffl_14 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:45 pm

Shouldn't say ...
George is ready to earn a spot on a NBA roster
George is ready to play through a injury
George is ready to recognize he is an NBA scrub

I think that's what the headline should read ! I hope he provides something but I dont understand what has been wrong with Gerald Green. Haven't we already tried to stick a guy who doesn't have anything to offer to the team anymore in Stackhouse ?
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#5 » by sweet daddy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Thing is, you can't afford to have a guy like DG starting at sg when your starting pg only gives you 10 ppg. You can't afford to only get 15 - 16 ppg (at best) out of your starting guards unless ... well you just can't afford it. It puts too much pressure on Dirk and Josh, since we don't get any offense from our centers.

Truth is, JET is just productive enough that nobody on this team deserves to start in front of him, and his age and contract are just unappealing enough to make it hard to trade up to a better sg. Besides, if everything else stayed the same, it would take a HUGE upgrade at sg to make this team signficantly better than it is with JET there.

What this team needs is what we've needed for years ... a low post scoring threat and a decent bench. Personally, I think the low post player is the biggest need. A good defense can stop a jump shooting team if they don't have a low post option. That's what we've been for years now. Gotta make a trade for a big that can score consistently. Then you work on the bench.

In my mind, there's 2 that you could go after. The good solution is Kaman (although I don't know what we could offer that the Clippers would take), the other solution is Curry, although that is a really big risk. Yeah, yeah, everybody hates the thought of Curry, but he's obtainable and all he costs is money for 2 years. Could probably do Stack and Bass or something. That's not really a huge risk, giving up on Bass.
'daddy knows best'
Realmavsman
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Realmavsman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:03 pm

I agree that without a Center that is an offensive threat the starting team needs a SG who can score. I don't like starting Terry. So I don't know why we don't just stick with Gerald Green. Let me see, we have won 4 straight games with him in the starting lineup. So why exactly should we be looking to change to someone else??

I am OK with Kaman but I don't like Curry at all.
sweet daddy
Analyst

Post#7 » by sweet daddy » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:03 pm

Nobody likes Eddy Curry. He's fat, and he's overpaid, and he gets injured a lot. But when he plays, he scores points in the paint no matter who is covering him. He's 16th all-time (all-time) in field goal percentage. He plays down low and scores points. That's why he's overpaid.

Anyway, I agree that I'd rather have Kaman. I just don't think that we can get him. Wish we could.
'daddy knows best'
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 851

Post#8 » by Teffer10 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 pm

sweet daddy wrote:Nobody likes Eddy Curry. He's fat, and he's overpaid, and he gets injured a lot. But when he plays, he scores points in the paint no matter who is covering him. He's 16th all-time (all-time) in field goal percentage. He plays down low and scores points. That's why he's overpaid.

Anyway, I agree that I'd rather have Kaman. I just don't think that we can get him. Wish we could.

Mavs should consider Curry. At this point we need to take some chances. Kaman would cost us a player like JHo so there wouldn't be a significant improvement to the team.

The Mavs really have no alternatives to improve without taking some chances.

Curry obviously wouldn't lead us to a championship but he could fill one of our greatest needs with the right motivator.
If all we have to give up is Stack, then I'd be tempted if there isn't anything better available.
Pointguard01
RealGM
And1: 223

Post#9 » by Pointguard01 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 pm

Curry also turns the ball over way too much. Last year over 3.5 times, so yes we would have shooters on the outside, but Curry's inability to handle the double teams (less than 1 APG) is too much. He scores inside, but also gives up the ball at just as good of a rate. And then there's his defense.......
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#10 » by 2011Champs » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:41 pm

It really does not matter who starts at SG because no matter what the JET is going to get the bulk of the minutes at SG.
SaintofKillers
Assistant Coach
And1: 506

Post#11 » by SaintofKillers » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:10 am

Why not? At least he could lock down on defense and maybe hit a three. We've started GG a couple of times now and have gotten zero whereas Wright just plain sucks.
JES12
RealGM

Post#12 » by JES12 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:24 am

sweet daddy wrote:the other solution is Curry, although that is a really big risk. Yeah, yeah, everybody hates the thought of Curry, but he's obtainable and all he costs is money for 2 years. Could probably do Stack and Bass or something. That's not really a huge risk, giving up on Bass.
1st of all, he is 3 years, not 2. 2nd of all, there is no reason why we need to give the better, younger player in Bass to get him. In fact, a Stack/Wright trade can net a Lee/Curry combo (Lee used as the incentive for some other team to take Curry off NY's hands). Lastly, He costs a lot more than money. When he is on, we will suck defensively, turn the ball over and not get rebounds...assuming he even plays. He also costs us a max free agent in 2010. Bosh or Curry? Lebron or Curry? Wade or Curry? Melo or Curry? 2-3 send options (one being Howard) or Curry?

That's an easy no brainer....and you want to give Bass and a bunch of tax to David Stern for thatfor that?
sweet daddy
Analyst

Post#13 » by sweet daddy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:55 pm

JES12 wrote:[1st of all, he is 3 years, not 2. 2nd of all, there is no reason why we need to give the better, younger player in Bass to get him. In fact, a Stack/Wright trade can net a Lee/Curry combo (Lee used as the incentive for some other team to take Curry off NY's hands). Lastly, He costs a lot more than money. When he is on, we will suck defensively, turn the ball over and not get rebounds...assuming he even plays. He also costs us a max free agent in 2010. Bosh or Curry? Lebron or Curry? Wade or Curry? Melo or Curry? 2-3 send options (one being Howard) or Curry?

That's an easy no brainer....and you want to give Bass and a bunch of tax to David Stern for thatfor that?

Nope, wouldn't want to do that. I thought his contract was up in 2 years, I thought that was what the trade checker said. That changes my feelings, although I don't know why anyone would think we're going to be a big player in the 2010 free agent market. We've never signed a big name free agent here.

I also acknowledge all the bad things about him. Will you acknowledge that he is a solid low post offensive player? Because that was the ONLY point I was making about him. It is something we do not have, and could use. Will you acknowledge that? He would be an offensive weapon that we do not have, that would be useful in the playoffs and when we are playing half-court offense. Our centers only play 20 - 25 minutes each now. How is it so bad to trade 20 - 25 minutes of low post defense for 20 - 25 minutes of low post offense? Giving up one thing to get another. I acknowledge it.

I'm just saying it's something to think about. It is a weakness of ours. If you can figure out how to get a low post player that has solid offensive and defensive skills without gutting the team, I'm all ears.
'daddy knows best'
JES12
RealGM

Post#14 » by JES12 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:47 pm

the trade checker does not count this year. the trade machine only puts the years up to a player or team option (curry is player). on one other note, I also read that curry is not insured.

As far as acknowledging what he his...that depends on him ever stepping on the floor again. BUt my main point on that is that his negatives (on the court) far outweighs his posatives . He would have a terrible +/-
sweet daddy
Analyst

Post#15 » by sweet daddy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:19 pm

You know, the strange thing about this is that it sounds as though I'm advocating a trade for Curry, and I'm not convinced it is a good idea either. His name comes to mind for me because he is a real live post player that is available. Of course, he's available for a reason, so all your points are taken.

My original comments were really about my feeling that the sg spot is not our biggest need since I think that JET is at least a decent sg. Start or not, he's getting starter minutes, and providing decent results.

If we had somebody we could pound the ball to down low several times a game, our offense would be much more effective, and I think that is worth more than an upgrade at sg for our team. Also, having a real difference-maker or two on the bench would be nice, and there aren't any there.

It's just hard to get the real deal when you don't have the real deal to use as trade bait.
'daddy knows best'
JES12
RealGM

Post#16 » by JES12 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:22 pm

I agree with that assessment (needing a concistant inside man) for the most part, but I see things a little differently. IMO, Terry should be eating all of Barea's minutes and Green or some other SG (like Azubuike if we traded Bass) needs to be taking some of Terry's minutes at the 2. The C position definatley can be upgraded, but can it be upgraded enough to be worth the pieces we have to give up? Honestly, I don't think it can as Dampier is one of the better defenders and has enough offense to keep the defense honest.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Teffer10 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:44 pm

JES and SD...you both have good points but here is how I see it.

I don't think we necessarily need a big man that can score in the paint but we do need a player who can score in the paint on a consistent basis.
Therefore, I would love to trade Stack for a SG who can get to the rim (someone like VC) but it is virtually impossible. So I tend to agree with SD that taking a chance on Curry, if all we give up is Stack, might be a good idea. If we do nothing, we won't have any type of inside threat and absolutely no chance at winning in the POs.
I'd do Stack and Wright for Curry/Lee in a heartbeat. Then Diop and Bass for G. Wallace. I'd even throw in Williams if that would help make it work.

Kidd/Terry
Howard/Green
Wallace/George/Williams
Dirk/Lee/Singleton
Damp/Curry
sweet daddy
Analyst

Post#18 » by sweet daddy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:57 pm

That's kind of what I was thinking, Teffer, although I did not say it. If we could pick up Curry (assuming he's actually healthy enough to play) without giving up Diop, then we could use him in another trade, because he does have some value and we probably wouldn't want to keep Damp, Curry and Diop. We could improve the team through those trades about as much as I think is possible, given our current situation.

Might not work, and since JES has pointed out that Curry's contract runs longer than I originally thought, there is some risk in doing this. But it's worth a shot, especially if we can turn Diop into a quality sg/sf. Charlotte does want a big man ... maybe Diop would be enticing to them.
'daddy knows best'
JES12
RealGM

Post#19 » by JES12 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:20 pm

If we can trade Diop, then yeah, I will do Stack + Wright for Curry + Lee becaue the difference in Curry's - Diop's salary is less than MLE type money.

Dampier / Lee / Curry
Dirk / Lee

would be a good rotation.
Teffer10
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Would Diop/Bass/Williams be enough to get G. Wallace or is that too much to give up?
(Starting Center, young backup true PF and young promising backup SF)

Return to Dallas Mavericks