ImageImage

Can We Repeat?

Gervin
Starter
And1: 20

Can We Repeat? 

Post#1 » by Gervin » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:14 am

I know if we get in to the playoffs, theres always a chance, but with a almost a whole new rotation and w/ key players getting older (edmonds, juan, etc) and what looks to be a touger division, what are our chances?

Pujols will be MVP Pujols

I expect Rolen to stay healthy this year (knock on something) and contribute the way he does best

Carp im sure will bounce back from opening day.

Thoughts?
From the Glory Days of The Lakers Board - Respect That
Follow on Twitter @Gervination
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 3, 2007 1:59 pm

If last year's team could win, then this year's can too.

But while a repeat is not impossible, I think it is unlikely. Just like last year's championship was unlikely. There are other, better teams. And even if you are the best team, everything still has to go right for you to win a championship...given the much more even balance in winning pcts. between even the best and worst teams in baseball as compared to basketball or football, and given the crapshoot nature of baseball's postseason format, winning a championship is as much about serendipity as skill.

I do think that our starting rotation has gotten an unfair and somewhat unanalytical bad rap. Everyone dismisses Wainwright and Reyes because of their lack of experience, but the Cardinals have been grooming those two for awhile now, and they are pretty good...maybe really good in Wainwright's case. Wells has shown in the past that he can be pretty good too; it's all about health with him. Carpenter is one of the three or four best starters in MLB. And your fifth starter just isn't all that important...plus how many teams have a fifth starter significantly better than Looper or, hopefully later in the year, Mulder?

It's our injury-plagued outfield that I worry more about, along with whether or not Isringhausen can still do the job as closer.
Gervin
Starter

Post#3 » by Gervin » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:15 pm

I agree...our rotation will be much better than a lot will believe.

I agree with you on the outfield. Edmonds hasnt been healthy in a while and Juan is already out.

I think if we get to the playoffs this year, Pujols MVP cannot be denied!
MUhoops
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#4 » by MUhoops » Fri Apr 6, 2007 4:12 pm

Wainwright / Reyes / K.Wells --- The Cards are going to need at least one of those guys to be a legitimate #2 and push 15 wins.

If Duncan can prove to be a productive starter and Edmonds has an
average year, the OF could be OK.

I think it *could* happen, but right now there are too many "if's" to really expect it. However, it's a long season and like last year showed, sometimes it's the veteran teams that keep pushing that get it done in the end.

I'd expect the Cards to keep pushing.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#5 » by mizzoupacers » Fri Apr 6, 2007 9:20 pm

Welcome to the board MUhoops. I take it you're a Missouri Tigers fan? Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

I dunno what we are going to get out of Edmonds and Duncan this year. I hope for the best, but it's an open question whether Edmonds will ever be 100 percent or how Duncan's development will go.

Still, they are the best we've got. Encarnacion will help some too, if and when he comes back. He's a mediocre hitter, especially for an outfielder, but at least he's a pretty good fielder. I know that I would rather see him in right field than Preston Wilson. One Cardinals board I lurk on from time to time was writing haiku poems this week about how crappy Wilson is.

I sort of expect a midseason outfield acquisition. By not spending much this winter, I'd hope our front office thinks we have the financial flexibility to go out and get someone for the outfield if need be.
bballpacen
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#6 » by bballpacen » Sat Apr 7, 2007 10:54 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:I sort of expect a midseason outfield acquisition. By not spending much this winter, I'd hope our front office thinks we have the financial flexibility to go out and get someone for the outfield if need be.
I would expect some sort of midseason move to strenghten up the OF. It will be interesting to see who comes available, and what we would have to give up to get him...
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#7 » by boogiesdad » Sun Apr 8, 2007 1:17 am

Our pitching staff needs to gel. We need time. Everything will shake out in the long run. But we could use another arm.
Gervin
Starter

Post#8 » by Gervin » Sun Apr 8, 2007 3:19 pm

boogiesdad wrote:Our pitching staff needs to gel. We need time. Everything will shake out in the long run. But we could use another arm.

Who do u think is on the market that would be a good pickup?
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#9 » by bigboy1234 » Sun Apr 8, 2007 3:58 pm

Theres noone on the market until a team is out of contention.

Oh, so far this season the Cards have had the 2nd worst hitting in the majors only behind the Mariners. And we are tied for the 2nd worst pitching in the NL.

So far things have looked really really bad, our offense has looked worse than our pitching though.
pacerfan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#10 » by pacerfan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:37 pm

Too early to count us out for a repeat, that's for sure. Like last year, it will take the stars, sun, and moon all coming into alignment.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals