ImageImage

La Russa suggests he'd like to return

Boston's Future
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

La Russa suggests he'd like to return 

Post#1 » by Boston's Future » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:45 am

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/news/a ... p&c_id=stl

While Tony La Russa waits to learn the results of the Cardinals' general manager search, the longtime St. Louis skipper sounds very much like a man who'd like to return for a 13th season wearing the "birds on the bat."
La Russa, speaking by cell phone from the headquarters of his Animal Rescue Foundation in California, said Friday that he hopes to have some resolution on his situation "sooner rather than later." But he gave an indication that he'd like for that resolution to come in the form of another tour of duty with the Redbirds.

"I've invested 12 years there, and you know the formula," La Russa said, referring to his long-standing checklist of approval from ownership, players and fans. "I got a real good response from the players and ownership, so that part of it is in good shape. The player thing has been answered. The front office still wants me and ownership still wants me."

La Russa indicated late in the 2007 season that some of his relationships with players might have been strained to a dangerous degree by the difficult season. But during the season's final weekend, he said those concerns had been allayed.

Though La Russa's name has been mentioned in conjunction with several managerial openings -- and potential openings, in the case of the New York Yankees -- he said he has not been contacted by any club other than St. Louis at this point. He declined to speculate on whether he would listen to offers from other clubs while his status with the Cardinals remains in limbo. His last contract, a three-year deal signed in 2005, expired at the end of the season.

The club has not given a time frame for its general manager search in the wake of Walt Jocketty's dismissal. La Russa will wait to see who his boss would be in St. Louis, but he doesn't intend to wait all winter.

mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:32 pm

Here's the latest take on the La Russa situation by Bernie Miklascz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist:

link

Me personally, I have no earthly idea whether he will be back or not. I'm just taking it as it comes. I'd like to see him come back, because I think he's a really good manager. But part of me wouldn't mind seeing us bring in someone new and start looking to 2009 and beyond rather than worrying too much about next season. It's going to be at least another year before the Cardinals can cut loose a lot of bad salary, and before our farm system really is ready to do much for the big-league club. If La Russa is back, we might do some dumb stuff to try to win 85 games next year that will prevent us from winning 95 games in the following years.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals