mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Edmonds traded to Padres 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:40 am

link

Wow, this sucks.

Honestly, why not just wait another year until Edmonds' contract is up, if all we're going to get is a marginal prospect and maybe save enough money to buy a really cheap pitcher? If we waste that money on the next Kip Wells, I'm going to be seriously ticked off. If we sign the next Kip Wells to a multi-year contract, I'm going to be seriously, SERIOUSLY ticked off.

Looks like we're going to see Barton in center field, unless they do something crazy like call up Rasmus right away. (To be fair, Pujols jumped to the majors at about the same age, and that worked out fairly well.)

I guess the Cardinals are officially in rebuilding mode now.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#2 » by boogiesdad » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:17 pm

I was really suprised in this cost savings trade.

I still think there will be some serious signings to follow.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:01 pm

OK, after a few days to think about it, I've made peace with the Edmonds trade. Mainly because it turns out that Edmonds asked to be traded, preferably to a California team with a chance to contend...the Padres fit that description.

I can't feel too bad about the Cardinals granting him his wish, the guy deserves to go out with a winning team if that's what he wants. I would have liked to see Edmonds play for the Cardinals for another year...but with or without Edmonds, 2008 is a transition year, so there's just not that much at stake for the Cardinals.

As long as we don't blow the $6 million savings on the first year of a long contract to a crap pitcher, I'm OK with the trade.

I'm kind of hoping we take a one-year flyer on someone like Colon or Prior or Jason Jennings. If we get lucky, we get a good pitcher for a year, plus maybe the inside track on keeping him longer. If we don't get lucky, we wipe the slate clean after the season and still have flexibility to use that money on someone better starting in 2009.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#4 » by boogiesdad » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:34 am

Prior is gone to HOUSTON....ugh
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#5 » by bigboy1234 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:34 am

boogiesdad wrote:Prior is gone to HOUSTON....ugh

Huh?
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:22 pm

I read somewhere that Houston is "looking" at Prior, but that's all I've seen.

The Cardinals are supposedly "looking" at Kris Benson. :-?

Maybe instead of one-year wonders, the Cardinals should apply the $6 million savings from the Edmonds trade to signing next summer's Rick Porcello. I'd be cool with that.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals