mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Rolen for Troy Glaus? That's what Ken Rosenthal says 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7665630?MSNHPHMA

Hmmm.

I'm not crazy about it, but maybe Rolen left the Cardinals with no other choice but to trade him.

Cardinals get a guy making about the same money, but for one less year. Could be a good cost-cutting move that will help by the 2010 season, but we'll have to see what the final terms of the trade are if it goes through.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:14 pm

If only the Cardinals would learn to rebuild. I'm guessing Mozeliak really actually thinks we can compete.
Contract Season
General Manager
And1: 31

Post#3 » by Contract Season » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:28 pm

Good trade for the Cards IMO.
I don't get this for the Jays at all, can someone here help me a bit?
They take on big money for an extra year for a guy who is never healthy and has never been the power guy Glaus has.
Am I way off base or hasn't Glaus been a better player almost every year of his career than Rolen and won a World Series MVP?
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#4 » by bigboy1234 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:45 pm

Actually I would say Rolen has easily had the better career, he is almost a hall of famer.

Rolen has a higher upside than Glaus.

Glaus has also been declining every year since his steroid use after the 2003 season were he came off two straight .800 OPS seasons. My guess would be Glaus actually used steroids for his injury though.

If Rolen can even comeback to just 2006 form the Jays win this trade, but thats where the risk is.

My personal hope as a Cardinal fan is Glaus starts out hot and the Cards trade him. As Glaus has incentive to have a big year because he could potentially be a free agent. But I'm not so sure he has the skill to do it anymore.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#5 » by boogiesdad » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:00 pm

THis is not a rebuilding trade, nor is it great as a cost-cutting deal.

No Edmonds, no Rolen

but we have Clement, Glaus, etc UGH
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:23 am

According to Jerry Crasnick at espn.com, the Cardinals won't have to eat any of Rolen's contract (assuming both he and Glaus pass their physicals and the deal goes through).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3193566

So, we're off the hook for a big-ass salary to a declining third baseman in 2010 at least.

Can't say I'm crazy about the trade. Glaus can hit, but he's nowhere near as good defensively as Rolen.

I guess I'm going to have to assume that the feud between Rolen and LaRussa was so bad that not trading Rolen was not an option.

Also, I have to assume that no other club was willing to give us a good prospect for Rolen, at least not unless we also took on a lot of unwanted baggage as well.

If Rolen is healthy and starts the year off on a tear for Toronto, I'm always going to wonder what the Cardinals could have got for him if they'd gritted their teeth and waited to trade Rolen until after he proved he was healthy again.
chatard5
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#7 » by chatard5 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:20 am

I don't mind the trade. I don't want to rebuild. This could help our offense. I really am not sure Rolen will get healthy. I think we still need one more power hitter so Pujols can get more to hit. Hopefully our pitchers can get healthy, and we can actually have a pretty decent rotation. I am still just so pissed we traded Edmonds.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:28 pm

We could have a LOT of power this season, if everyone stays healthy and Ankiel isn't a bust. Pujols, Glaus, Duncan, Ankiel...they're all capable of 30+ HR.

Of course those guys are also all capable of about 150 whiffs apiece (except Pujols).

Add even more power if/when Rasmus gets called up.

Edit: Earlier in this thread I wrote this:

Also, I have to assume that no other club was willing to give us a good prospect for Rolen, at least not unless we also took on a lot of unwanted baggage as well.

Vivaelbirdos.com supports my hunch, they are writing today that the Cardinals tried to get Andy LaRoche for Rolen, but the Dodgers wouldn't do it unless we also took on the putrid contract of Juan Pierre.

I think that Mozeliak really wants to rebuild. He's just not quite in a position to do it yet. He's done some nice house-cleaning so far, though (other than the mysterious re-signing of Aaron Miles...but even that is only a one-year deal for a pretty small salary). I'm still confident that he's going to steer the Cardinals in the right direction.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#9 » by BuckFan25226 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:10 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:We could have a LOT of power this season, if everyone stays healthy and Ankiel isn't a bust. Pujols, Glaus, Duncan, Ankiel...they're all capable of 30+ HR.

Of course those guys are also all capable of about 150 whiffs apiece (except Pujols).

:rofl:
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi

Return to St. Louis Cardinals