ImageImage

Cardinals Spring Training Thread

mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Cardinals Spring Training Thread 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:45 pm

Here's the first story out of Spring Training that has really caught my attention:

link

Please, Anthony Reyes, let this be the year you put it together.

The Cardinals could really use a good year from him. If he gets it together, he's probably our second-best starting pitcher this season (after Wainwright).

I honestly think the Cardinals can compete in the Central this year if they can just get some decent starting pitching. OK, and if Pujols can stay healthy too.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#2 » by BuckFan25226 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 am

Gotta love TLR trying to convince the front office to go after Bonds. :rofl:
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:52 pm

How about that Scott Spiezio?

Cards Cut Spiezio

I hope Spiezio overcomes his problems, but he's going to have to do it as an ex-Cardinal. How could the Cardinals do anything else after what happened last year.

This opens up a spot on the bench for somebody. For now I'm going to guess Brendan Ryan--we're going to need someone who can be the backup third baseman. But there's a long way to go until Opening Day.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:27 pm

Well we are about halfway through Spring Training and Cesar Izturis is still proving that he is awful.

Mozeliak would leap considerably in my estimation if he would have the balls to cut Izturis and force La Russa to go with Brendan Ryan at shortstop.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:22 pm

With Pineiro hurting, the Cardinals are thinking about Kyle Lohse, the Post-Dispatch says.

link

If we can get him on a one-year contract, seems like a no-brainer to me. Lohse is no world-beater, but I think our minor-league starting pitcher prospects could all use another year in the minors, and we need someone who can be reasonably expected to actually pitch every fifth game.

I don't even particularly care how much they pay Lohse, if it's only for one year. But I won't like it if he gets more than one year.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#6 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:47 pm

I would be against giving Lohse money because I'd rather rebuild through draft and international signings, but since the Cardinals won't do that I guess I'm all for it.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by mizzoupacers » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:33 pm

Welcome to the Cardinals, Kyle.

link

One year, $4.25 million, that sounds just fine to me.

Note to Bill Dewitt: this signing does NOT preclude you from ponying up this summer for whoever is the best prospect on the draft board. Open Dewallet! :curse:
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#8 » by BuckFan25226 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 pm

well, Pujols is absolutely mashing in spring training, as well as Ankiel, Barton, and Glaus. hopefully we get about .270/25/90 out of Duncan as well, but he's not looking so hot in spring training. I'm the ultimate optimist, but this team might be fun to watch this year if our pitching can just be average. Reyes pitched a gem today through 6 innings. It would be nice if Anthony could finally break though to be at least be a solid 3 or 4 guy this year. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind seeing Lohse, Waino at the top just for this year.

While we probably won't win the division, I think we'll be scrappy this year. Our pitching can't be any worse then last year. Reyes can't be any worse, and Lohse and Pineiro can't be any worse then Wells, not even close. Then there is the old "Well when Carp and Mulder get back" factor 8) :pray: . Then there is Clement as well. In my perfect world, we'll see a rotation like this in July or August...

Carpenter
Wainwright
Mulder
Clement
Lohse/Reyes :pray:

Wow am I pathetic.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,

blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by mizzoupacers » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:01 am

I think we're going to be better than last year--the starting rotation can't possibly be as bad as when they kept trotting out Reyes and Kip Wells and their 6+ ERAs and -.200 winning pcts. Can it? :o

I think the team in the field will be better too, younger, healthier, and speedier. Assuming Pujols holds up.

I hope the bullpen is as good as last year, but that's the part of the team that seems most likely to slide (along with shortstop). I'm not sure all those bullpen guys we brought back can match the season they had last year.

I'm going to guess a final record of around .500, give or take a few games, and a team that's a little more entertaining to watch, with more speed and good power at the plate. Bonus is that we'll see call-ups at some point for Rasmus, and maybe a pitcher or two as well, who could be a big part of the team's future.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals