ImageImage

Lohse, 4 Years, $41 million...Good or Bad?

mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Lohse, 4 Years, $41 million...Good or Bad? 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Oct 1, 2008 2:21 pm

2009: $7.125 million
2010: $8.875 million
2011: $11.875 million
2012: $11.875 million

Plus a small signing bonus.

I lean toward "bad"...but it's not a falling-over-in-disgust lean. Those last two years in particular might bite the Cardinals in the ass. For next year, though, it's actually pretty good, provided Lohse has another season that at least comes close to what he did this year. So I'm not too down about the deal, although I'm not thrilled about it either. I figured we were going to have to overpay for pitching this winter...this is overpaying, but it could be a lot worse.

By my calculations, the Cardinals still have at least another $25 million this winter to spend on middle infield and pitching. Mozeliak just has to bring in an upgrade at either second base or shortstop (if not both), as well as a decent lefty reliever. And I'd still like to see him land another good starting pitcher too.

I'm OK with it if he has to do some of that through trades rather than just signing free agents. There's a surplus of outfielders, and maybe of righthanded pitching too. Also Bryan Anderson is expendable for an equally promising player at a position of greater need to the Cardinals. Among the outfielders and pitchers, just don't trade Rasmus, Daryl Jones, or Wainwright--I wouldn't get upset about dealing anyone else (depending on who we get back). Even a guy like Ludwick wouldn't bother me, if we get a top-of-the-rotation pitcher or primo middle infielder in return.

Any other opinions?
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Re: Lohse, 4 Years, $41 million...Good or Bad? 

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 10:54 pm

Neither. It's falling over disgusting.

Right now the payroll is at 70M even. That doesn't include Aaron Miles, Randy Flores, Todd Wellemeyer, Rick Ankiel, Brad Thompson, and Ryan Ludwick who will all be in arbitration. Plus 10 more who to make 25 on the roster for the minimum. So if I had to guess adding the arbitration and minimum contracts in we are already at 90M for next year. Not sure what the budget is though.

Return to St. Louis Cardinals