ImageImageImage

Rays June thread

Moderator: craig01

MagicRays
Junior
And1: 58

Re: Rays June thread 

Post#21 » by MagicRays » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:37 pm

Hoping Cobbs alright. Line drive to side of head. He was conscious but not moving when carted off the field.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#22 » by MagicRays » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Cobbs doing fine. Concussion, but everything else is normal. This is probably the best case scenario that could have happened. Great news.

Price accompanied Cobb to the hospital. I really hope we can find a middle ground in the contract negotiations with Price and lock this guy in to something like what we got Longo with. $100m/10yr might be long for a pitcher, but it might be our only way to keep him. Making solid ground on moving from St. Pete to Tampa might be a convincing factor as well (and no state income tax). Moving inland across the bridge will more than double our average attendance/sales, leading to a bigger payroll. How do we lock Price into a deal Now that could take advantage of these things? Bonuses I guess. Big attendance bonus. I dunno, I'm just rambling now. We gotta find a way to keep him though. Can't pull another Shields ship-off. We have great young talent, but who's gonna be our veteran ace with playoff experience? We won't have a single one. Gotta move to Tampa. Personally I'd be giving them at least $100 more a year if they moved to Tampa. Much more if they moved to Orlando! lol
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#23 » by craig01 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:48 pm

MagicRays wrote:Longo dealing with plantar fascitis (sp?), so that's the reason for Johnson at 3B. Unfortunately, Kelly's June has been so bad, I would almost prefer Roberts or SRod there. Man these guys are streaky.

Side note, JP Howell got suspended 2 games for participating in a huge brawl.

I'd much rather see SR at third than KJ. today Scott is in LF......UGH

I was watching when Cobb got nailed, and that was ugly. Thankfully he's ok. I hope the beaning does not affect his mental state though.....I know it would affect me
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
MagicRays
Junior

Post#24 » by MagicRays » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 pm

craig01 wrote:
MagicRays wrote:Longo dealing with plantar fascitis (sp?), so that's the reason for Johnson at 3B. Unfortunately, Kelly's June has been so bad, I would almost prefer Roberts or SRod there. Man these guys are streaky.

Side note, JP Howell got suspended 2 games for participating in a huge brawl.

I'd much rather see SR at third than KJ. today Scott is in LF......UGH

I was watching when Cobb got nailed, and that was ugly. Thankfully he's ok. I hope the beaning does not affect his mental state though.....I know it would affect me

Scott looked extremely uncomfortable in LF today. With tomorrow off, I hope Longo will be good to go at 3B Tuesday so we can get Johnson back to LF and Scott off the field. I have a feeling we'll see Myers within a month starting.... holy crap. As I was writing that, with the Durham game on in the background, I hear "a huge blow to the Bulls offense now that Myers is heading to Tampa Bay." Wow! I wonder if Scott's performance on defense had anything to do with that move. Myers sure has been on fire. They must think he has adjusted well enough to off speed pitches and is ready, or ready enough to be an improvement over what we're dealing with now.

I think we now have an every day outfield of Myers/Jennings/Joyce. Maybe Joyce takes a day off vs. LHP here and there, but he's playing so well I doubt that'll happen for some time. With SRod/Roberts hitting well vs. LHP, we could see Zobrist play OF and insert one of them to 2B once in a while. Maybe Kelly Johnson at DH now? Scott on the bench? Someone must have been DL'd, sent down, or waived. I would guess Roberts or Scott.

Wow now I can't wait for Tuesday's game.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#25 » by MagicRays » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 pm

One Myers projection I'm seeing is..

low of: .230 avg, 20 HR, lots of walks, lots of KOs, average OF defense
high of: .270 avg, 30 HR, lots of walks, lots of KOs, Alex Gordon level OF defense

interesting. at a very minimum, this guy will step in and improve our OF defense immediately. if his latest numbers from AAA are actually from an adjustment that is working, and not just a hot streak, then i dont have any doubt he will hit the high side of that projection with a reduced KO rate to boot.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#26 » by MagicRays » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 am

Wow 3rd inning of 2nd game, Myers makes an over-the-shoulder grab while running to the warning track look pretty easy. Not sure Joyce would have caught that. Impressive.

First hit (vs LHP) was on off-speed stuff. He did look like he was rushing his at-bats in the first game vs. the RHP starter. Hope that settles down.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#27 » by craig01 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:58 am

Myers is struggling at the plate.

Hopefully he'll let things settle in.

He'll be fine

MagicRays
Junior

Post#28 » by MagicRays » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Myers jacked a grand slam for his first career HR off CC Sabathia today! Way to go kid. I'm sure he'll be in the lineup vs. every LHP for the next 6 years. He's doing work against them.

Pitching killed us today. Wayyyyy too many walks
MagicRays
Junior

Post#29 » by MagicRays » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:00 pm

The Rays have become a very scary offense vs LHP with the addition of Myers in the lineup. The boy has a 7 game hit streak going, to include every game he's played for the Rays except his very first one.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#30 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Myers is the real deal and he will continue to give us much needed pop on the lineup. Much much needed lol. Now if we can get out pitching, bullpen in order then we got a good shot.
aka: prorl
MagicRays
Junior

Post#31 » by MagicRays » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Not sure why Maddon decided to bring out Farnsworth and Ramos against the middle of the best offense in the majors last night in a close game. After a day off, everyone rested, Torres/Peralta/Rodney are all ready to go. Cabrera and Fielder quickly took advantage of that. Here's some stats, unrelated to my previous rant...

Top Rays WAR (wins above replacement)

Longo 4.3
Zobrist 1.9
Loney 1.8
Escobar 1.5
Jennings 1.5
Johnson 1.3
Joyce 0.7
Lobaton 0.7
SRod 0.4
Molina 0.3
Myers 0.2
Scott 0.0
Fuld -0.2

And now, wOBA (weighted on-base average). .320 is average.

Longo .388
Loney .358
Joyce .351
Myers .351
Zobrist .334
Johnson .326
Jennings .323
Lobaton .315
Scott .314
SRod .305
Escobar .291
Molina .283
Fuld .241

Here's what I take from these numbers.

Longo is a beast, as we all know, and we're lucky to have locked him up for so long on a great deal.
Zobrist is our 2nd best player on the field and if the recent success at the plate continues, the wOBA and WAR should climb.
Loney was an amazing free agent signing. $2m/1yr is a steal for his production. Unfortunately, these numbers will demand much more next year. More than we can afford. Belnome @ AAA might replace him for cheap.
Escobar's great defense keeps his WAR up, while his subpar offense keeps it down. Still, a good FA pickup on a great contract.
Jennings has just barely above average offense, but a good WAR. This proves the value of his defense.
Johnson's numbers confuse me. They suggest his defense is what's keeping his WAR up, which I'm skeptical of. Either way, he was on fire in May and I would love to get that guy back.
Joyce has a strong wOBA but it doesn't translate to a high WAR. That means his defense is holding him back. Maybe he's our DH vs. RHP next year.
Lobaton has under average wOBA but a positive WAR. So his defense keeps him in the game. I don't see that.
Scott's offense is below average, and he doesn't have any defense to help him. Doubt he's with us next year.
Fuld is a liability on offense. His great defense isn't enough to get his WAR into positive territory.

I think we all know most of things things already. But here's something interesting. Myers' great .351 wOBA is not translating to WAR (yet). The reason is not his defense in RF. It's because his production at the plate has not translated into wins for us. He is producing, but the Rays are not winning. That's just bad luck for him. When our pitching comes around, Myers' WAR should rocket up.
MagicRays
Junior

Post#32 » by MagicRays » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:52 pm

Rodney said in his post-game interview that he pulled another arrow out of his quiver after the save to shoot down a lion (tigers) he saw in the stands. Man this guy has been money lately. Taking a look at his month-to-month stat lines, he has really cut down on the walks in June. I think that says it all right there. The command is back. And hopefully to stay for the season.

This team has shown flashes of brilliance in every facet of the game, just at different times. If we get it all clicking together, we'll be the most dominant team in the majors.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by craig01 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 11:23 pm

I saw the interview too. Funny

Agreed about the potential of this team.

Rays need a 15-5 streak to put the heat on the division.

Return to Tampa Bay Rays