ImageImageImage

Rays August thread

Moderator: craig01

MagicRays
Junior
And1: 58

Re: Rays August thread 

Post#41 » by MagicRays » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:47 pm

I'm sure you guys know by now, but we picked up David DeJesus and Delmon Young yesterday. Great additions if we use their splits, which I'm sure Joe will. DDJ will probably be an every day corner OF against RHP. DY signed a minor league contract, but I'm sure he'll come up soon and be used vs. LHP.

Rays front office is going all-in on this post season run. I like it :D

On another note, Wright has looked fantastic lately (check out his stats over his last 10 appearances. There's alotta zero's!). Last night he picked off Gardener at 1st too. Wouldn't mind giving him a shot in higher leverage situations.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#42 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:19 pm

MagicRays wrote:We've really come around these last few days. Baltimore is really good and we've managed to take 2/2 so far from them. Goin for the sweep tonight! Joe put Joyce sandwiched between longo and Myers at cleanup last night. At first I didn't think it was a good idea to have a platoon player in the middle of the order, but wow did it work. Hope Joe discovered the missing ingredient there to unlock Joyce's potential. That's one scary lineup when Joyce is swinging well too.

Oh ya, we're in first today with the Boston loss last night :)

That was a terrific series against Baltimore. Job was completed.

Joyce and Longoria coming alive right now is huge.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#43 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:32 pm

MagicRays wrote:I'm sure you guys know by now, but we picked up David DeJesus and Delmon Young yesterday. Great additions if we use their splits, which I'm sure Joe will. DDJ will probably be an every day corner OF against RHP. DY signed a minor league contract, but I'm sure he'll come up soon and be used vs. LHP.

Rays front office is going all-in on this post season run. I like it :D

On another note, Wright has looked fantastic lately (check out his stats over his last 10 appearances. There's alotta zero's!). Last night he picked off Gardener at 1st too. Wouldn't mind giving him a shot in higher leverage situations.

I love the DeJesus pick up. Delmon Young could be a September addition, and went 2-4 yesterday in AA.

And yes, management has reacted superbly for the pennant chase.

Folks in Tampa, St Pete need to get their asses in those seats as a way of saying thanks.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#44 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Cano just hit a bomb, 1-1 in the fourth.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#45 » by craig01 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:02 pm

Rays hit into 4 DP's, the most crucial with the bases loaded in the first.....Rays lose 3-2.

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,027

Post#46 » by The Real Dalic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:33 am

Hmm and someone said he didn't see Delmon Young joining the Rays :P. JK. But in all seriousness I love the DeJesus pick up a lot.

It sucks that the Rays vs Royals game wasn't on Fox Sports, but we apparently had a beating.

Hopefully we can have a great series against the Angels and keep this great run going!
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#47 » by craig01 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:58 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Hmm and someone said he didn't see Delmon Young joining the Rays :P. JK. But in all seriousness I love the DeJesus pick up a lot.

It sucks that the Rays vs Royals game wasn't on Fox Sports, but we apparently had a beating.

Hopefully we can have a great series against the Angels and keep this great run going!

Bullpen! Ugh!

This bullpen is either perfect for 2 or 3 innings ..... or, no lead is safe.

Blew another one.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#48 » by craig01 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Hmm and someone said he didn't see Delmon Young joining the Rays :P. JK. But in all seriousness I love the DeJesus pick up a lot.

Yeah, I don't really see him doing much.

Was hitting like .123 against RH, and .280 against lefties.

He'll get called up in September when the rosters expand, but his PT will be very limited.

Young has been an underachiever for most of his career, so maybe he'll make me eat my words (I hope so)

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by craig01 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:28 pm

Good win last night.

Archer was spot-on again.

Rodney continues to defy consistency. Last night he was really good.

The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#50 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:45 pm

The playoffs need to start. I'm worried that the Rays could have another 3 to 4 game losing streak that could get us out of the wild card.

I'm sure the Rays will be fine but it would suck if this great season was all for nothing.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#51 » by craig01 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:The playoffs need to start. I'm worried that the Rays could have another 3 to 4 game losing streak that could get us out of the wild card.

I'm sure the Rays will be fine but it would suck if this great season was all for nothing.

My goal each year is to win 90 games, and if it's good enough to make the playoffs all is fine.

Last year, 90 wins was not enough.

The bullpen is of major concern, as they have lost around 13,14 games after having the lead in the 7th inning or later.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#52 » by craig01 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:29 pm

The woes continue as Rays drop opener in Oakland, 4-3.

The rays have allowed too many potential big innings go to waste (8th inning again last night)

The bullpen is not strong enough to close out games consistently, and it has been rare that the rays get 5 run leads very often.....which adds to the pressure of the bullpen struggling to being consistent.

The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#53 » by The Real Dalic » Sun Sep 1, 2013 5:16 pm

The Rays have made a complete 180 in the month of August. In July they just couldn't lose.

The Yankees and Orioles are starting to catch up. The Rays have to turn it around if we're going to make the playoffs. The bullpen and the hitters have to be more consistent if we're doing anything this year.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#54 » by craig01 » Mon Sep 2, 2013 2:50 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:The Rays have made a complete 180 in the month of August. In July they just couldn't lose.

The Yankees and Orioles are starting to catch up. The Rays have to turn it around if we're going to make the playoffs. The bullpen and the hitters have to be more consistent if we're doing anything this year.

Yeah, lots of concerns.

But isn't that baseball?

When you play well, the sky is bluer, the grass is greener, and leftovers still taste great.

When not playing well, it's too damn hot, weeds have infiltrated most of the yard, and leftovers end up in the garbage.

The Rays will have do dig out of this, and it will take better pitching, fewer K's at the plate, and far less GIDP's (which they led MLB with in August).

Today is a new day.....

The Real Dalic
RealGM

Post#55 » by The Real Dalic » Wed Sep 4, 2013 7:29 am

The Rays played very well last night allowing only one run and scoring 7. Hernandez is a great bullpen pitcher even though he's a mediocre starter.

The Rays offense needs to stay consistent. I love what I saw tonight. I see us turning it around. Prove me right guys!

Speaking of proving me right, Delmon Young is playing some good baseball. Hopefully he keeps it up as well.

Return to Tampa Bay Rays