ImageImageImageImage

Roy Oswalt request to be traded (Texas on his list)

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,023

Roy Oswalt request to be traded (Texas on his list) 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Sun May 23, 2010 9:43 pm

Salary:
2011:$16M,
2012:$16M club option ($2M buyout)

Roy Oswalt's request to be dealt from the Astros means that the sweepstakes for the veteran pitcher are officially on. We've heard that Oswalt is willing to waive his no-trade clause to go to a contending team, and three teams that he would reportedly be interested in joining are the Braves, Cardinals and Rangers.

If these really are the top choices on Oswalt's wish list, the right-hander might need to expand his horizons. Several obstacles stand between Oswalt pitching for any of these clubs:

* Texas. Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News is pessimistic about the Rangers' chances at Oswalt, noting that the team's unsettled ownership situation would make it difficult to take on Oswalt's big salary. The right-hander is owed $16MM in 2011 and has a club option for $16MM in 2012. That final year can be bought out for $2MM, but that still adds up to an $18MM investment in Oswalt, not to mention the remainder of his $15MM salary this season. Rich Harden is the only experienced arm currently in the Texas rotation, but given the number of promising young arms in the Rangers' system, committing a lot of money to a veteran like Oswalt doesn't make much long-term sense.
* St. Louis. Even if Oswalt's no-trade clause and salary limits Houston's options, it's hard to imagine the Astros dealing one of their franchise icons within the division. MLB.com's Matthew Leach (via Twitter) doesn't think the Cardinals will seriously pursue Oswalt since the St. Louis rotation is already so strong. Leach thinks the Cards will "put in a call" to keep their bases covered, but it's a longshot.
* Atlanta. Much like St. Louis, the Braves have no pressing need for another starter, even one of Oswalt's caliber. If the Braves make any moves before the trade deadline, it will be to acquire a hitter to improve their struggling lineup. There's also the fact that while the Cardinals and Rangers currently lead their divisions, Atlanta is 21-20 heading into Friday's play and will face a tough uphill climb to catch the Phillies in the NL East. The Braves might not fit Oswalt's definition of a "contender."
Link
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Re: Roy Oswalt request to be traded (Texas on his list) 

Post#2 » by cmavswin » Tue May 25, 2010 2:07 am

Harden,McCarthy,Alexi Ogando,Teagarden,Boggs and Kasey Kiker

for

Oswalt

Would give them 2 pitchers for their rotation now a young ready outfielder so they could move Lee without having to get an outfielder back and a young catcher who needs a change of scenery. The Astros would also get 2 young arms that are close to major league ready.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#3 » by catalyst » Thu May 27, 2010 2:19 pm

cmavswin wrote:Harden,McCarthy,Alexi Ogando,Teagarden,Boggs and Kasey Kiker

for

Oswalt

Would give them 2 pitchers for their rotation now a young ready outfielder so they could move Lee without having to get an outfielder back and a young catcher who needs a change of scenery. The Astros would also get 2 young arms that are close to major league ready.

I think any trade for Oswalt and Rangers starts with Holland. That trade above makes Ranger fans happy, and I know that Norm loves Kiker.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,023

Post#4 » by HMFFL » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:20 am

The Rangers are working hard to get Roy Oswalt

A source tells Craig Calcaterra of NBC Sports that the Rangers are "getting closer" to acquiring Roy Oswalt from the Astros.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#5 » by studcrackers » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:16 am

that was also immediately shot down by multiple people. i just cant see us having the budget for him until the ownership situation is settled and depending on what we'd give up in terms of prospects im not sure he'd be worth it
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#6 » by cmavswin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:34 pm

I wish but right now this is garbage but if the Judge gives Nolan Ryan and crew the keys before the deadline than I could see it than. I would think however that if the Rangers could get there hands on Lee from Seattle with his contract that he would be more doable finacially.

Return to Texas Rangers