Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,025

Mark Cuban joining group to bid on Rangers 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:17 pm

Mark Cuban joining group to bid on Rangers

Mark Cuban has joined with Dallas businessman Jeff Beck and former sports agent Dennis Gilbert to form a group of investors who will bid on the Rangers, according to the New York Post.

Cuban declined to comment on the report, telling a band of NBA writers in Las Vegas that he has been contacted, but "I can't say anything else." A baseball source suggested that the group would become an active bidder only if the group headed by Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan falls out of contention for the club.

"Cuban, really?" Rangers third baseman Michael Young said after Saturday's game. "Who cares? We got Cliff Lee."

Gilbert was one of the three original investors to buy the Rangers last winter, but his bid fell apart and was damaged when Nolan Ryan said he wouldn't stay with the club if Gilbert became the owner.

Cuban applied to buy the Cubs in July 2008 and was one of the bidders who was selected by the Tribune Co. to try to purchase the club. Various reports, though, indicated that he would not be approved as an owner by commissioner Bud Selig and the ownership committee. That same fate awaits Jim Crane should he land the winning bid in a yet-to-be-determined auction before the Rangers are brought out of bankruptcy July 22.
CDansby
Pro Prospect
And1: 205

Re: Mark Cuban joining group to bid on Rangers 

Post#2 » by CDansby » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:23 pm

Ha, funny reaction from Young.

I'm all for it, Cuban cares about his teams, that's all the Rangers need. Jon Daniels does the real work and Cuban just writes the checks.
JCMasta
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by JCMasta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 am

Sorry but i just can't see Ryan not being apart of the rangers future. Cuban would be a nice alternative but i rather it not come down to that..
cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Post#4 » by cmavswin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm

If Cuban joins Ryan and Greenberg and kicks out Hicks than all is well.
2011Champs
General Manager
And1: 854

Post#5 » by 2011Champs » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:06 pm

cmavswin wrote:If Cuban joins Ryan and Greenberg and kicks out Hicks than all is well.

Exactly. I can't believe the financial cluster :censored: that Hick has made of the Rangers.
Hicks has no business being in the sports world.

Return to Texas Rangers