Off Season Thread

Moderators: Texas Chuck, HMFFL

cmavswin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 222

Re: Off Season Thread 

Post#21 » by cmavswin » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:58 am

Ya I like Napoli much better than Manny and the fact they got rid of Frank makes it even better.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#22 » by catalyst » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:48 pm

I liked Frank. Injury was bad last year. Napoli can make a difference.

I am still worried about SP.
94feet
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#23 » by 94feet » Wed Feb 9, 2011 7:55 am

Don't leave Michael Young, we need you Mr. Ranger! Much, much, much rather have Young than Adrian Beltre, don't know why we even tried to sign another starting 3B this off season.
DDansby123
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#24 » by DDansby123 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:14 pm

Beltre over Young at 3B is a no-brainer. He's better defensively without question, and a deeper look at the stats will tell you he's probably better offensively as well.

As for DH, a Napoli/Murphy combo would be an upgrade over Young. You can argue that either of those guys by themselves would be an upgrade.

If I were Young, I'd be a little worried about my ABs, too...what with all the guys now on the team who are better than he is. I don't mind if he's the super-utility guy and gives our infielders (outside of 1B) 20 games off this season, and I don't guess I care if he takes half the DH ABs, either. Anything more than that, and it's sacrificing what's best for the team to keep Young happy. Heck, it may be that anyway.
Killa K
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Killa K » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:23 pm

Although I respect what Michael Young has done for the Rangers, the team is really better off with Beltre playing third. Like the previous poster said Beltre is better defensively and offensively which is a huge upgrade. While we have many options at DH, Young would be best suited to play the super-utility role, but at the cost of $16 million a year!? I want to see what trade assets we could possible garner without eating most of his bloated contract.
catalyst
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 41

Post#26 » by catalyst » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:28 pm

Given the current circumstance, Rangers get little. Norm has gone through where Young gets his at bats many times, and it makes sense. Why wouldnt the FO go to Young with this explanation? It is easy

85 games at DH
25 at 3rd
25 at 2nd
20 at first

That is 155 games without injury to Young or other infielders, especially Kinsler. I dont remember if these numbers are exact, but has lots of validity. Kinsler averages 123 games per, Beltre reliable 150. 1st is open with Moreland, Napoli, and ??? YOUNG. I think young is being a baby. I would hope that Ryan would get Young and Paul Molitor together to have a discussion about aging graciously in
the MLB. Rangers need him and he needs rangers.

Return to Texas Rangers