ImageImageImageImageImage

Offseason, 2017-2018

Moderators: Rhettmatic, Alfred, Schad

User avatar
duppyy
RealGM
Posts: 12,714
And1: 4,494
Joined: Aug 04, 2004
Location: ???????, ??????
       

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#101 » by duppyy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:12 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
duppyy wrote:All this Ohtani news will end up in disappointment for Jays fans. If we get him I'd be really surprised and really happy.


Has there been a single report that had the Jays as a serious contender for Ohtani? Excluding the local shills.


Only local shills. Though, wouldn't SportsNet be the considered the only local shill?
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,599
And1: 7,010
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#102 » by Schad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:23 am

If we're bound and determined to try to make the playoffs, the nightmare scenario might not even be Ohtani signing with the Yankees, but rather with the Mariners. As it stands they aren't awash with money to spend, but the injuries to their pitching staff really outstripped anything we experienced: they lost Drew Smyly for the whole season, Iwakuma for most of the year, Paxton for about 12 starts, Felix Hernandez for more than half the year, and consequently they saw 17 different pitchers make appearances in the rotation.

Now, some of those guys are just flat-out injury risks, but they have enough guys to cobble together a decent rotation nonetheless. Add Ohtani and it could be a very good rotation, and that would make chasing the second Wild Card extremely tough, assuming Houston/Boston/New York are penciled in.
User avatar
sule
General Manager
Posts: 7,635
And1: 7,927
Joined: Nov 11, 2006
     

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#103 » by sule » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 am

duppyy wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:
duppyy wrote:All this Ohtani news will end up in disappointment for Jays fans. If we get him I'd be really surprised and really happy.


Has there been a single report that had the Jays as a serious contender for Ohtani? Excluding the local shills.


Only local shills. Though, wouldn't SportsNet be the considered the only local shill?


Jays seem to be talking about him, but IMO, it'll be no more than a token offer. The Yankees and a few other teams are putting in a lot more work (publicly) to convince him to sign.

I said this on the Jays subreddit, and got about a dozen downvotes, with responses about how I didn't know what I was talking about and that the Jays would make the offer when the time came, and how Rogers would spend the money if the front office thinks there's a chance. Telling those numbskulls to temper expectations based on early reports apparently is a crime to them.
Image
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,599
And1: 7,010
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#104 » by Schad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:21 am

sule wrote:Jays seem to be talking about him, but IMO, it'll be no more than a token offer. The Yankees and a few other teams are putting in a lot more work (publicly) to convince him to sign.

I said this on the Jays subreddit, and got about a dozen downvotes, with responses about how I didn't know what I was talking about and that the Jays would make the offer when the time came, and how Rogers would spend the money if the front office thinks there's a chance. Telling those numbskulls to temper expectations based on early reports apparently is a crime to them.


There's really no money to spend. We can only offer Ohtani a couple million max on top of the posting fee (and we'd have to make trades to even offer than couple mil), which every team in the league would pay if he picks them.
User avatar
sule
General Manager
Posts: 7,635
And1: 7,927
Joined: Nov 11, 2006
     

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#105 » by sule » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:34 am

Schad wrote:
sule wrote:Jays seem to be talking about him, but IMO, it'll be no more than a token offer. The Yankees and a few other teams are putting in a lot more work (publicly) to convince him to sign.

I said this on the Jays subreddit, and got about a dozen downvotes, with responses about how I didn't know what I was talking about and that the Jays would make the offer when the time came, and how Rogers would spend the money if the front office thinks there's a chance. Telling those numbskulls to temper expectations based on early reports apparently is a crime to them.


There's really no money to spend. We can only offer Ohtani a couple million max on top of the posting fee (and we'd have to make trades to even offer than couple mil), which every team in the league would pay if he picks them.


Yup. That was my point. Their entire argument for signing Ohtani is predicated on the idea that Rogers would open up their wallets and spend extra cash to sign him b/c he's "a generational talent". But after the Yu Darvish signing attempt, ownership would be much more hesitant to spend that kind of money without a guarantee that we could sign him, especially with the already high payroll. Yankees are already increasing their international funds plus have the infrastructure and rapport with Japanese media to market Ohtani in his home country and the U.S.

None of that information seemed to resonate with redditors. Some people just don't want to hear the counterarguments to their fantasies, i guess.
Image
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,599
And1: 7,010
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#106 » by Schad » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:00 am

There's no money spent if you don't sign him, though. Rogers is entirely out of the picture on this one...they'll allow Shapiro and Atkins to offer the maximum amount allowable, because there's zero harm in doing so. It'll almost certainly make no difference, however, because a mediocre, old team with roughly half a dozen guys who ought to be DH only isn't a logical fit for him.
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#107 » by polo007 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:37 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#108 » by polo007 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:51 pm

Read on Twitter
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#109 » by polo007 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 9:32 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 44,599
And1: 7,010
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#110 » by Schad » Sat Dec 2, 2017 2:06 am

Not mentioned here, but Tom Koehler and Ryan Goins were both non-tendered. The latter certainly makes sense with the addition of Diaz, given that he is both better and cheaper.
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#111 » by polo007 » Sat Dec 2, 2017 2:34 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#112 » by polo007 » Sat Dec 2, 2017 4:54 am

Read on Twitter

NEW YORK — Atlanta first baseman Matt Adams, former Chicago Cubs closer Hector Rondon and Detroit Tigers reliever Bruce Rondon were among 26 players who became free agents Friday night when their teams failed to offer them 2018 contracts.

Nineteen of the players set free would have been eligible for salary arbitration had they been offered deals by the 8 p.m. EST deadline.

Others cut loose included Houston pitcher Mike Fiers, Toronto second baseman Ryan Goins and Chicago White Sox pitchers Al Alburquerque, Jake Petricka and Zach Putnam.

Adams hit .271 with 19 homers in 100 games with Atlanta after he was acquired from St. Louis in May after first baseman Freddie Freeman got hurt.

Hector Rondon is sixth on the Cubs' career saves list with 77, all from 2014-16. The 29-year-old Venezuelan struggled this year with a 4.24 ERA in 57 1/3 innings.

Bruce Rondon was once considered a top candidate to be Detroit's closer, but he has only seven big league saves since his debut in 2013. He is 8-7 with a 5.00 ERA in 123 appearances, including 1-3 with a 10.91 ERA in 21 games this year.
So_Fresh
Senior
Posts: 572
And1: 381
Joined: Jan 29, 2013

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#113 » by So_Fresh » Sun Dec 3, 2017 4:13 pm

Sign Bruce, Morrow and Cobb. Diaz already fills a role we badly needed off the bench and as insurance. Young and has potential and under control for the next 5 years. Makes us pretty competitive. That's if everyone stays healthy in 2018.
Image
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#114 » by polo007 » Sun Dec 3, 2017 10:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#115 » by polo007 » Tue Dec 5, 2017 3:02 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Balki-B
Sophomore
Posts: 196
And1: 15
Joined: Nov 29, 2010

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#116 » by Balki-B » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:17 am

Do the Jays have the resources to sign any of the former Braves prospects recently released back into FA market?
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
Posts: 21,517
And1: 1,934
Joined: Jul 12, 2003
Location: Game: Blouses.

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#117 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:00 pm

They could, yes, but they're getting snapped up pretty fast. Del Rosario went to the Royals, Maitan went to the Angels, Guttierez signed with the Phillies, and I might be missing others. Whoever is left probably won't last long.
Prepare to be RASHOWNED!
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#118 » by polo007 » Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:08 pm

Read on Twitter

Andrew McCutchen

McCutchen hasn't been mentioned in Hot Stove trade chatter as often this offseason as he was one year ago, which is odd. The outfielder is on a less expensive contract now -- one year, $14.5 million -- and he is coming off a better offensive season.
Although McCutchen still can be streaky, he crushed left-handed pitching in 2017 to the tune of a 1.131 OPS, while finishing with his best homer total (28) since '12. He lacks no-trade protection, and he has a salary that many teams could accommodate. Contractually, then, McCutchen is the inverse of Stanton. The Giants have spoken with the Pirates about McCutchen this offseason, and San Francisco could intensify that pursuit if it misses on Stanton. The Blue Jays, who are trying to extend their competitive window by adding players on short-term deals, are another possible fit as they seek replacements for Jose Bautista.
polo007
Veteran
Posts: 2,942
And1: 576
Joined: Nov 02, 2006

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#119 » by polo007 » Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:07 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
Posts: 14,407
And1: 7,740
Joined: Apr 23, 2010
     

Re: Offseason, 2017-2018 

Post#120 » by Wo1verine » Thu Dec 7, 2017 7:05 pm

Chatwood signs with the Chicago Cubs:

Read on Twitter
Image

Return to Toronto Blue Jays