ImageImageImageImageImage

Atkins calls out Tulowitzki

Moderator: JaysRule15

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Re: Atkins calls out Tulowitzki 

Post#61 » by I_Like_Dirt » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Spiderdan22 wrote:Sorry, but no manager should be calling their personnel out in public...oh but I forgot, you Shatkins lovers think he can do no wrong. They've already taken a top 6 team and run it into the ground in two years...can't wait to watch them blow the rebuild too. You never heard Gillick calling out his players publicly. Now there's a respected GM.

I honestly think this is much ado about nothing both ways. I don't see this as some sort of great or terrible move. And while I'm open to considering all potential angles, you're making a pretty awful case for yours. Personally, I'm waiting to see what the team actually does with any of the players involved before I judge anything. Talk is largely irrelevant in the end.

Taken a top 6 team and run it into the ground? No, they've got a solid farm and some players starting to filter up. In fact, the only part of what they've done that might constitute running the team into the ground is hang on to the framework of that former top 6 team and held on to it for too long. They were never going to trade those guys for younger stars and those guys were always going to get worse fast and no amount of selling off prospects was going to turn the team back into a top 6 team with so many aging players turning into pumpkins so fast. AA built a good team with a self-destruct timer built in and lots of massive salaries. This is the natural result. And really, short of trading Donaldson sooner, there isn't much I can see that was poorly strategized so far. Sure, I'd have rather gotten better prospects in trades but other teams aren't lining up to give those away so easily and thankfully the Jays aren't, either.
Bucket! Bucket!
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#62 » by Black Watch » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Blue Jays expected to meet with Tulo's agent this week in Vegas during the Winter Meetings.

Best case scenario: a buyout arrangement is agreed upon.

Worst case scenario: more drama in the face of his obstinacy.

Stay tuned...
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#63 » by Al_Oliver » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Black Watch wrote:Blue Jays expected to meet with Tulo's agent this week in Vegas during the Winter Meetings.

Best case scenario: a buyout arrangement is agreed upon.

Worst case scenario: more drama in the face of his obstinacy.

Stay tuned...

Bury him in a hole in the desert...
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#64 » by BramptonYute » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 pm

And he's been released

Read on Twitter
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#65 » by So_Fresh » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:07 pm

good riddance. didn't see a way forward in this relationship. no more drama from this guy. glad he's gone. next is Martin.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#66 » by Natural11 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:24 pm

When will MLB get over these long term mega deals? Seems like the vast majority of 6+ year deals end up being a major burden on the back end.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#67 » by Black Watch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Black Watch wrote:
vaff87 wrote:Why don’t they just buyout Tulo? Him being here isn’t good for anyone, and he has zero trade value.

You're thinking of something like what Boston did with Sandoval. Thing to remember is the Red Sox ownership is uniquely invested in the team. Rogers is a media conglomerate--totally different.

And even if they were as invested, the team doesn't have the kind of leverage on Tulo that the Yankees did when they forced A-Rod into retirement (he still got paid, by the way). He knows he's injury-prone but still expects to play. And, really, it's only been in the last couple years (during which time he's been hurt and away from the game) that baseball teams have altogether stopped playing old players guys regularly just because they're veterans. Baseball is getting younger and guys with Tulo's temperament aren't going to fit in well. Wouldn't be surprised if Tulo goes crying to the MLBPA, should he start to feel any such pressure to retire.

I hope he caves in, obviously, but it's likely we haven't heard the last of this.

How wrong I was. Never would've thought Rogers would just straight up eat the money. Turns out that Rogers is more invested in this rebuild than we thought.
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#68 » by johanliebert » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:I think Ross Atkins has to be one of the dumbest people in professional sports.

No, this is what teams do before moving on. Smear a players name.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#69 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:24 pm

Read on Twitter
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#70 » by Black Watch » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:30 pm

johanliebert wrote:
WuTang_OG wrote:I think Ross Atkins has to be one of the dumbest people in professional sports.

For the people actually involved in this--like Tulo and his agent--they are quoted as being "very grateful."

There was no smearing last week when they stated the obvious, and no hard feelings today as he's released.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#71 » by Schad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:56 pm

Yeah, I mean, this isn't playing hardball. That would have been DFAing him to free up a roster spot and outrighting him to the minors in order to try to push him to take a buyout in order to continue his career (or retire and save us from paying any of it). We went public to ensure that there were no misconceptions about his future role -- if any -- and then likely approached his agent to take stock of their position once we'd made our intentions known. We were presumably rebuffed, and instead of really turning the screw (to maybe save a couple mil) we just punted him. Hence why his agent is happy: we ultimately chose the path of least resistance.
**** your asterisk.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,112

Post#72 » by C Court » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:01 pm

Obviously there was no one willing to take Tulo in a trade, even if the Jays ate most of his salary.

Read on Twitter
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,443

Post#73 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:03 am

johanliebert wrote:

Nope.

That's not what an executive does (a real one for that matter). No use in publically calling out players, just puts negativity on your team and on your character. The players and agents arent stupid. No point in doing it.

He's been behind every step of the way so far. I guess that's what you get with a rookie GM.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#74 » by SharoneWright » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:54 am

2 good things---

-fully committed to a rebuild (d'uh!)
-I don't want to hear anymore that Rogers is cheap - they just lit a whole bunch of money on fire to do what was needed
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Black Watch
Bench Warmer

Post#75 » by Black Watch » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:08 am

SharoneWright wrote:I don't want to hear anymore that Rogers is cheap - they just lit a whole bunch of money on fire to do what was needed

The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#76 » by The_Hater » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:17 pm

Why? Because he gave a candid, honest and accurate assement of a fading player who can’t stay on the field?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,443

Post#77 » by WuTang_OG » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:06 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Why? Because he gave a candid, honest and accurate assement of a fading player who can’t stay on the field?

No, mainly because he publicly said stroman and sanchez were in trade talks. You dont make statements like these. You shut your mouth and work behind the scenes like every good GM but he's a rookie and doesn't know how to handle the media yet
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#78 » by Schad » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:34 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

No, mainly because he publicly said stroman and sanchez were in trade talks. You dont make statements like these. You shut your mouth and work behind the scenes like every good GM but he's a rookie and doesn't know how to handle the media yet

You keep saying that Atkins is a rookie. He very much isn't.

And all he said publicly was that Stroman and Sanchez are available for the right price. It's really common for GMs to use the media to make the availability of their players known.
**** your asterisk.
EJaggit
Starter
And1: 2,328

Post#79 » by EJaggit » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:08 am

JaysRule15 wrote:Gotta say that it's a bit hypocritical of Tulo to always flaunt his leadership and team-first mentality, then have this ridiculous demand to play SS only. Even if his bat was viable (it isn't), I would've looked at moving Tulo off SS defensively anyways.

Considering that we're rebuilding and need to see what we have in these young kids, giving playing time to a 34 year old who is not going to be part of the future isn't a viable plan. Atkins is right to make this clear publicly well in advance, so Tulo can't complain later that he was promised something else and was short-changed.

At this point, eating 90% of Tulo's deal and giving him away to some team hoping to catch lightning in a bottle seems to be our best course. If that doesn't materialize, just pay the guy and tell him to stay home if he isn't willing to come off the bench as a utility player.

Tbh, I've always thought Tulo was a snake... Dude, he said he isn't willing to change from SS and now after he's cut "I'll play any position" we should've let him rot on the bench or something. Guy literally didn't to show up to ANY game in 2018- decided to get surgery on his ankles close to season start. That's such a snake move. I am sad we couldn't get anything for him though.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#80 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:38 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Your comment was posted in a theead where he was spreaking specifically about Tulowitski, yet now you’re trying to claim that your opinion was based on other comments/situations? Very odd.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays