ImageImageImageImageImage

Orioles at Jays, for some games and things

Moderator: JaysRule15

Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,468

Re: Orioles at Jays, for some games and things 

Post#141 » by Potential » Sat May 20, 2023 11:02 pm

Back to last place lmao. It is what it is. I know it's still early in a long season but we really shouldn't be this far back of both Tampa and Baltimore. Hopefully it's not another year of not even having a chance to win the division and just fighting for a wild card spot
Mehar
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,432

Post#142 » by Mehar » Sat May 20, 2023 11:10 pm

Ranger One wrote:213 million payroll and getting destroyed by the Orioles and the Rays who are sitting in the 70 million range. Disgraceful team building tbh.

Yet I remember an interview Shapiro did on the Fan 590 with Bob McCown the year after AA left in 2015, where he said his focus will be to produce a farm system that rivals Tampa Bay. He criticized and questioned the lack of quality prospects in the farm system, and why AA traded so many prospects to go "All in" for the 2015 year.

8 years into his regime, the farm system has been mediocre. The 2021 Jays had a world class offense, but the bullpen was a clown show. The bullpen has had question marks for 8 years. If this season ends with no playoffs, regardless if the Jays are in the AL East- Shapiro/Atkins should be shown the door and fired. They should not be allowed to buy more time by firing a manager they hired just last off-season John Schneider, or an overrated pitching coach like Pete Walker who has been here 10 years too long.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 36,212

Post#143 » by Brinbe » Sat May 20, 2023 11:19 pm

The Timmy L era of Toronto sports is over. Looks like we're back to mediocrity all-around circa 2004-2014
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,999

Post#144 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun May 21, 2023 12:51 am

Blowmano does it again. This one stings even more. We should have won today's game.

Scneider is a moron. How can you make a mistake with pulling you SP not knowing you had an earlier visit from your picthing coach that same inning.

Is Vladdy going to give us a big hit or even a HR at home one of these days??
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#145 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun May 21, 2023 12:58 am

Mehar wrote:
Ranger One wrote:This team aint making the playoffs lmao.

Hopefully, that means the end of the Shapiro/Atkins regime after 8 seasons. The depth is lacking in the farm system. The bullpen has question marks, and trading your top prospect Moreno along with Gurriel for Varsho has backfired so far. This when you have the 7th highest payroll in MLB at 213 million. Three times more than the Rays and Orioles.

Just like Dubas with the Leafs. 8 years and nothing to show in the playoffs.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#146 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun May 21, 2023 1:03 am

Vladdy is the opposite of clutch. What's with the celebration every single which he only gets when no one is on base. It's actually embarrassing.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 32,610

Post#147 » by Fairview4Life » Sun May 21, 2023 1:16 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:Vladdy is the opposite of clutch. What's with the celebration every single which he only gets when no one is on base. It's actually embarrassing.

Every single player in the league does some gesture back to the dugout after a hit now.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,673

Post#148 » by dagger » Sun May 21, 2023 2:17 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:That loss is all on Romano. You just can't hang a slider in that spot with 2 strikes. Once it got tied late, the Orioles bullpen is way too good to expect a win.

He’s part of it but our supposed best batters coming out free swinging in the 9th with the winning run on second with no out? A lot of hitters would have focused on getting just that one run in. Tired of Pete Walker? Well I am tired of the plate approach Guillermo Martinez seems to advocate.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,673

Post#149 » by dagger » Sun May 21, 2023 2:27 am

dagger wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:That loss is all on Romano. You just can't hang a slider in that spot with 2 strikes. Once it got tied late, the Orioles bullpen is way too good to expect a win.

He’s part of it but our supposed best batters coming out free swinging in the 9th with the winning run on second with no out? A lot of hitters would have focused on getting just that one run in. Tired of Pete Walker? Well I am tired of the plate approach Guillermo Martinez seems to advocate.

Since the Pittsburgh series the offence has been one of the very worst in baseball. As Chris Black notes, their BA RISP in that period is .182, 27th in MLB. We saw these long droughts with last year’s team but it was more significantly impacted by injuries. The Jays thus season have had few injuries and still stink for weeks in end

2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#150 » by Ado05 » Sun May 21, 2023 3:06 am

Actually just took in the Orioles are such a better org than the Jays lol.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,717

Post#151 » by Randle McMurphy » Sun May 21, 2023 4:05 am

dagger wrote:

Bichette was clearly trying to hit the ball the other way in that AB if you watch his swings. The fact that he wasn’t able to do it has a lot more to do with Bautista being an absolute monster. Very, very few guys have made Bichette look like that this season.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,288

Post#152 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun May 21, 2023 4:52 am

Hottie McShotty wrote:Blowmano does it again. This one stings even more. We should have won today's game.

Scneider is a moron. How can you make a mistake with pulling you SP not knowing you had an earlier visit from your picthing coach that same inning.

First things first, fire Schneider and Rivera.

I’m starting to feel like the incompetence is spreading.

We need to get new hitting coach. Someone needs to unlock Vladdy from this version of himself. Low strikeout but low power. Someone told him to change his entire approach and it’s not looking good. This man was on the verge of superstardom and now they’ve gotten him being a little drummer boy spitting singles and doubles.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 55,391

Post#153 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 21, 2023 5:26 am

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
Hottie McShotty wrote:Blowmano does it again. This one stings even more. We should have won today's game.

First things first, fire Schneider and Rivera.

I’m starting to feel like the incompetence is spreading.

We need to get new hitting coach. Someone needs to unlock Vladdy from this version of himself. Low strikeout but low power. Someone told him to change his entire approach and it’s not looking good. This man was on the verge of superstardom and now they’ve gotten him being a little drummer boy spitting singles and doubles.

If we miss the playoffs this year, I want everyone fired, top to bottom.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#154 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 21, 2023 5:32 am

Mehar wrote:
Ranger One wrote:213 million payroll and getting destroyed by the Orioles and the Rays who are sitting in the 70 million range. Disgraceful team building tbh.

Yet I remember an interview Shapiro did on the Fan 590 with Bob McCown the year after AA left in 2015, where he said his focus will be to produce a farm system that rivals Tampa Bay. He criticized and questioned the lack of quality prospects in the farm system, and why AA traded so many prospects to go "All in" for the 2015 year.

8 years into his regime, the farm system has been mediocre. The 2021 Jays had a world class offense, but the bullpen was a clown show. The bullpen has had question marks for 8 years. If this season ends with no playoffs, regardless if the Jays are in the AL East- Shapiro/Atkins should be shown the door and fired. They should not be allowed to buy more time by firing a manager they hired just last off-season John Schneider, or an overrated pitching coach like Pete Walker who has been here 10 years too long.

I was just thinking about this today during our game. Shapiro was acting all smug after we fired AA, proclaiming a new era in Blue Jays baseball. Fast forward 8 years, and we're in the exact same position. Our farm system is barren and the team has yet to win a playoff game under his leadership.
Raider917
Veteran
And1: 770

Post#155 » by Raider917 » Sun May 21, 2023 10:51 am

what was the reason for anthopoulos leaving?
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#156 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun May 21, 2023 1:00 pm

5-11 against the AL East ain't gonna cut it folks!
Hottie McShotty
Analyst

Post#157 » by Hottie McShotty » Sun May 21, 2023 1:01 pm

Ado05 wrote:Actually just took in the Orioles are such a better org than the Jays lol.

10 years of losing and drafting high will do that to your organization.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,288

Post#158 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun May 21, 2023 1:01 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:5-11 against the AL East ain't gonna cut it folks!

the fact that we have been saying the other AL East teams are frauds when the Jays are the real frauds

at least the makeover to the stadium is appealing :lol: :lol:
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#159 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 21, 2023 3:35 pm

Raider917 wrote:what was the reason for anthopoulos leaving?

He was expecting to be promoted to president when Beeston retired. That would be the logical step after he took us to the ALCS. Instead, Ed hired his buddy Shapiro. AA saw this as a demotion since he had full autonomy under Beeston but would now have to answer to Shapiro, so he left. Ed knew full well AA wouldn't stay on in this scenario. He wanted AA out and this was a way to do it while keeping his hands clean.
Jago88
Junior
And1: 342

Post#160 » by Jago88 » Sun May 21, 2023 3:36 pm

Raider917 wrote:what was the reason for anthopoulos leaving?

Don't think we know the exact reason for sure but a few things maybe, this article covers it

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/alex-anthopoulos-leaving-blue-jays-after-rejecting-extension/

Return to Toronto Blue Jays