2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Re: 2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#41 » by Avenger » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 pm

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/ ... rsistence/

Interesting story by John Lott on Dalton Pompey and his father. Ken Pompey makes Tony Rasmus look like an unassertive parent, on one hand he's hiring coaches, sports psychologists and nutritionists for his son even after turning pro, that can't be a bad thing but he has a history of not letting those professionals do their job.

Anyways, he's probably number 1 on my list of the Short Season prospects that could explode, he already shows great plate discipline for an 18 year old and the power which wasn't bad to begin with could take off with the offseason muscle gains.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,532
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#42 » by SharoneWright » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Avenger wrote:http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/03/17/jays-prospect-thankful-for-fathers-persistence/

Interesting story by John Lott on Dalton Pompey and his father. Ken Pompey makes Tony Rasmus look like an unassertive parent, on one hand he's hiring coaches, sports psychologists and nutritionists for his son even after turning pro, that can't be a bad thing but he has a history of not letting those professionals do their job.

Anyways, he's probably number 1 on my list of the Short Season prospects that could explode, he already shows great plate discipline for an 18 year old and the power which wasn't bad to begin with could take off with the offseason muscle gains.

The "Joe Jackson" of baseball dads --- not the Shoeless one....
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#43 » by Al_Oliver » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:56 pm

KLaw on Jays Prospects:

Sanchez showing positive growth
March, 17, 2012
2:34PM ET

I spent Friday on the back fields at the Philadelphia Phillies' complex in Clearwater, Florida, for a matchup of two top pitching prospects as well as a few other prospects of note.

The Blue Jays' high-A roster started right-hander Aaron Sanchez, who was 92-96 with good life and very little effort, mostly working in the 94-96 range, showing good feel for a changeup but less for his slider. Sanchez has always produced easy velocity but his arm action is a little smoother now than it was in high school and his slot is slightly higher; he's also put on 10-15 pounds of good weight. I've always been a fan -- he's got great makeup and the delivery and body are what they're supposed to look like, but now that he's sitting in the mid-90s it's hard to offer any reasons for skepticism beyond the usual caveats on young pitchers.

" The Jays ran out three relievers worth discussing. Right-hander John Stilson had a chance to go in the first round last year before hurting his shoulder; the Jays took him later and paid him enough to get him into pro ball where he could rehab with their doctors. (He did not have surgery.) In one inning he was 91-94, straight but firm, with a hard-tumbling changeup at 79-83 that dropped almost like a splitter, showing one hard downer curveball at 81. There's effort in the delivery, and stress on the shoulder, and the command wasn't good, but if that's how he looks right out of the chute he could move quickly through the low minors this year.

" Lefty Tyler Ybarra has thrown just 66 innings, all in short-season ball, across three years in the Jays' system due to injuries and personal problems, but he's an intriguing inventory arm, 88-92 with tail and quick arm acceleration. He overthrew both his changeup (too firm) and slider (guiding it toward the zone), and like Bonilla he doesn't land cleanly on his front foot. He's a lefty with arm strength and a delivery that could work in a rotation, but it's mostly untapped potential now.

" Hawaiian-born righty Dustin Antolin was the closer in Lansing last year at age 21 with adequate results; he was 90-92 on Friday with an average to a tick above-average cutter at 85-87 and a changeup at 82-84 that was too straight; Phillies outfielder Aaron Altherr clobbered one for a big home run. Antolin's delivery is all reliever and his body isn't loose enough to start anyway.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/n ... vement-mlb
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,546

Post#44 » by dagger » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:08 pm

Yan Gomes with another big day at the plate, this time 3-3 against the Phillies. Had two doubles, three RBIs.

We're up to the neck in quality catching prospects and this poor guy always seems to be stuck behind D'Arnaud and off everyone's radar. He had a pinch hit homer a week or so ago against the Pirates to win a game. Everything I read says he's solid defensively, too.

Thing is, he's 24 going on 25, and with our younger prospects I wonder if we are better moving him because we've got so many quality guys to develop. He can play other positions, so that bears watching, too.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#45 » by Al_Oliver » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:33 pm

dagger wrote:Yan Gomes with another big day at the plate, this time 3-3 against the Phillies. Had two doubles, three RBIs.

We're up to the neck in quality catching prospects and this poor guy always seems to be stuck behind D'Arnaud and off everyone's radar. He had a pinch hit homer a week or so ago against the Pirates to win a game. Everything I read says he's solid defensively, too.

Thing is, he's 24 going on 25, and with our younger prospects I wonder if we are better moving him because we've got so many quality guys to develop. He can play other positions, so that bears watching, too.

agreed. 2 doubles of Hamels is impressive, even if it is spring training
Deron05
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#46 » by Deron05 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:
dagger wrote:Yan Gomes with another big day at the plate, this time 3-3 against the Phillies. Had two doubles, three RBIs.

agreed. 2 doubles of Hamels is impressive, even if it is spring training

Maybe next year he can replace Mathis.
LBJSeizedMyID
Sixth Man
And1: 96

Post#47 » by LBJSeizedMyID » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 pm

[sarcasm]Yeah, that's a fantastic idea[/sarcasm]
Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Post#48 » by Kaizen » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:50 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/spring20 ... r-year-mlb

Making your preseason picks for minor league player of the year honors has a bit more complexity than big league awards. The biggest issue, of course, is playing time. Tampa Bay Rays lefty Matt Moore, Washington Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper and Los Angeles Angels outfielder Mike Trout are universally seen as the top three prospects in baseball, but none of them are good picks for 2012 honors. Moore will open the year in the big leagues, with Harper and Trout likely following suit. In fact, those three showed up on last year's version of this list.

When searching for minor league POY, you need a player who will spend the entire year away from the majors -- and in an environment that is conducive to putting up numbers -- or with an assignment in which the player can impress for other reasons. Here are my top 10 preseason candidates for the unofficial minor league POY.

Travis d'Arnaud, C, Toronto Blue Jays

With Jesus Montero, a catcher in name only, now a big leaguer, d'Arnaud will begin the 2012 season as the best catching prospect in the game. After winning Eastern League MVP honors last season with a .311/.371/.542 line, he's moving to Triple-A Las Vegas, where the ball flies out of the park. Two years ago, J.P. Arencibia hit 32 home runs and slugged .626 in 104 games in Vegas before being called up to Toronto, and one wonders if d'Arnaud can force some difficult decisions with a similar performance.
Kaizen
Starter

Post#49 » by Kaizen » Mon Apr 2, 2012 5:48 pm

Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#50 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Mon Apr 2, 2012 11:29 pm

CZAR85 wrote:http://gerrymcdonald.ca/depthchart.htm

The Dunedin outfield is pretty intriguing, with Marisnick, Crouse and Knecht. And obviously the Lansing rotation with Nicolino, Sanchez and Syndergaard, but I have a feeling they won't be in Lansing all season.
Garmfay
Assistant Coach
And1: 510

Post#51 » by Garmfay » Tue Apr 3, 2012 9:10 pm

Kinda pissed Ahrens isn't gonna be challenged at AA. Make or break year for him (gonna get released if he doesn't make it to AA)
Credit to Turbo_Zone
"The Lion does not concern himself with the opinion of the sheep"
youreachiteach
Veteran
And1: 593

Post#52 » by youreachiteach » Wed Apr 4, 2012 5:31 am

I have a feeling that the Lansing rotation might be in double A by the middle of next year. As a result, I'm thinking 2014 might be "the year" we are waiting for--which all thee flame throwers coming up and ready to contribute.

The Jays are pretty aggressive about promoting their young starters, especially when they show they can dominate a level. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if they got a "taste" of AA late THIS year. if they were in Dunedin already, it'd be a virtual certainty. It's all about the results, and they're all pretty far from the ultimate prize right now. I almost want to buy the minor league baseball package just to watch them.

We're in for a great ride in the minors this year (well, except for Triple A,--but even there you have Gose)..
Kaizen
Starter

Post#53 » by Kaizen » Wed Apr 4, 2012 1:35 pm

Snider, Hech, and this guy named Travis d'arnaud in Las Vegas as well.

I am actually disappointed at the quality of the position prospects in double A.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,466

Post#54 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Apr 4, 2012 1:47 pm

Somewhat surprised that McDade didn't get promoted to AAA. Perhaps it was a combination of a rough spring for McDade and a phenomenal spring for Gomes (they'd be competing for AB's in AAA along with Cooper).
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#55 » by vaff87 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 2:17 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Somewhat surprised that McDade didn't get promoted to AAA. Perhaps it was a combination of a rough spring for McDade and a phenomenal spring for Gomes (they'd be competing for AB's in AAA along with Cooper).

Tony LaCava said it's because they want both Cooper and McDade to be able to play first full time.

And I'm not sure why anyone would complain about the prospects in AAA. That team is rather stacked as far as everyday guys.
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#56 » by satyr9 » Wed Apr 4, 2012 3:14 pm

Looks like Vancouver fans are getting a bit of the short end this year. Teams on either side are full of intriguing players, although I guess at least a few Bluefielders will end up there by year's end.

How is it possible that Fuenmayor is still at low A and on the roster? I feel like he's been around for a very long time already, but I can't be bothered to look him up and confirm anything.

And I love how the rotations all the way up and down have real prospects in them, until you get to AAA where it's just trial by Vegas for a bunch of AAAA types, which as long as AA is good enough to get young'uns ready for the big time might actually not be as bad a thing as we tend to think it is. Having a super tough AAA spot to test the geezer prospects and shoulda coulda woulda guys really is a bit of a benefit, although it makes it almost impossible for them to impress enough to make it.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#57 » by J.Kim » Thu Apr 5, 2012 12:28 am

satyr9 wrote:How is it possible that Fuenmayor is still at low A and on the roster? I feel like he's been around for a very long time already, but I can't be bothered to look him up and confirm anything.

Yeah it's always so weird seeing these international signings. They're in the minors for 7-8 years but then you look at the roster and realize that their only in their early 20s. Like when I just realized Fuenmayor is only 23...
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,112

Post#58 » by Schad » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:02 am

Beyond the stuff that others have mentioned, the things that stand out:

Justin Jackson starting in CF for New Hampshire. Absolutely make-or-break for him, offensively and defensively.

The AA bullpen. We're clearly keeping anyone of even marginal value away from Las Vegas...god, we need a new affiliate at that level.

Danny Barnes in high-A. Not necessarily because of the level, but he could move quickly as a power arm in the 'pen; Dunedin might not challenge him, but he's worth keeping an eye on, because he could hit AA within a couple months, and could hit the bigs by next year if all goes well.

Art Charles, King of the Three True Outcomes and Eric Arce repeating extended spring training. Not terribly surprising, but I was curious whether the team might be a little aggressive with one of them...probably the right choice, all considered.

And yeah, that Lansing rotation is otherworldly.

Fuenmayor is, at this point, just filler; he's not even committed to a team at this point, really, just to extended with the NWL as the most likely destination. Would not surprise me if he was quietly released at some point.
**** your asterisk.
Kaizen
Starter

Post#59 » by Kaizen » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:11 am

Was he a big signing at one point? I do not know who Fuenmayor is.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,112

Post#60 » by Schad » Thu Apr 5, 2012 1:15 am

CZAR85 wrote:Was he a big signing at one point? I do not know who Fuenmayor is.

Not a huge signing, but he got a fairly healthy bonus of a couple hundred thou...one of the larger ones given during the Ricciardi era. Such is life, though; you don't sign kids, particularly kids from Latin America, expecting all of them to succeed, and the writing has kinda been on the wall since his 119:9 K:BB in Lansing as a 19 year old really crushed dreams of him as a future star.

Edit: he's actually only 22, as well, but 22 after 1500+ minor league plate appearances and still unable to find regular playing time at any level really is not good.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays