ImageImageImageImageImage

Varsho/Moreno Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

Los_29
RealGM
And1: 12,202

Re: Breaking: Varsho in, Moreno, Gurriel out 

Post#41 » by Los_29 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:34 pm

WuTang_OG wrote:Had a feeling gurriel was on the block after trading Teo. Points to emphasis of changing clubhouse

I agree. I think that's definitely part of it. Sad to see Moreno go. I'd be lying if I said I knew a lot about Varsho. There are some things to like though. Good power, great defensive versatility and had a 4.9 WAR last year for Arizona.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 32,614

Post#42 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:34 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:Holy **** this is bad. Someone please convince me otherwise. The #3 overall prospect AND Gurriel (who is on a great deal) feels like a massive overpay for a 106 wRC+ 26 year old with one good season.

Gurriel’s great deal is up at the end of next season, I believe.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
guvernator
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#43 » by guvernator » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
guvernator wrote:daulton varsho is not good... like nothing about his offensive profile is exciting. Unless Shatkins think that Moreno's loss of power stroke is real, this is another **** trade in a line of **** trades.
Essentially, if Bo and Vlad don't stick around in 3 years, this team is absolutely back in the tank again. (also clearly, staying below the tax threshold is a thing in this case. FU Rogers).

This trade was about defense. And he's had a higher war than anyone on our team last year. You can be meh on the trade but Varsho is good.

Still to be seen if Varsho can sustain. I'll take Moreno (even with the loss of power) over what ever Varsho can do (half his war is from defence... good luck projecting that).
Davey0
Pro Prospect
And1: 698

Post#44 » by Davey0 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:35 pm

primecougar wrote:Whats everyone complaining about? We got the best outfield defender from last year that can hit for power, is a lefty, and can catch.

Moreno is still a nice prospect and gurriel is 27 and will be a free agent next year

Gurriel is 29 but you are right that he will be a free agent next year. Will want more money. I'm sure the Jays want to save money to extend the contracts for Vlad and Bo.

Also, it's not a bad trade. Now you can put Jansen on C and Kirk on DH, it spreads out the players on an even level now. That outfield for defense looks a lot better compared to the last season's roster.

As you said Moreno is still a prospect. We really didn't get a full season to fully commit to how he'll turn out. So, he could be either a hit or a miss with the Dbacks.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,969

Post#45 » by T-d0t » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 pm

We still need an outfielder right?
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,272

Post#46 » by Madvillainy2004 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:36 pm

Reclamation project for an almost 5 WAR player? We reclaiming him to Aaron Judge levels of overall production? Lmao
T-d0t
General Manager

Post#47 » by T-d0t » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:37 pm

All of Vlad's buddies traded one by one haha
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 23,195

Post#48 » by ItsDanger » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 pm

My initial impression of Moreno was questionable power and sub par behind the plate with pitchers. Should be a plus hitter. Fine with trading him as it should have been expected but wish the return was higher. Would have been more appealing if a salary dump was included as an example.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#49 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 pm

T-d0t wrote:We still need an outfielder right?

Unless we’re good with Biggio out there when Springer gets hurt.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 65,079

Post#50 » by Duffman100 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 pm

T-d0t wrote:We still need an outfielder right?

I’d say so. I’d rather kiermairer be more of a 4th outfielder.

A 5th starter is probably more important
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,657

Post#51 » by SharoneWright » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:38 pm

2 thumbs down.

Moreno gonna hurt us for many many years. A decade of regret.

What happened to being "more than happy to employ 3 catchers" and dealing from a position of strength??? All the talk of needing a lefty bat finally pushed Ross into a panic trade. Booourns.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 36,212

Post#52 » by Brinbe » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:39 pm

giving up moreno really sucks because i think he'll be a hell of a player going forward. but the return isn't too bad for a 5 war 26-year-old. just gotta hope it wasn't a flukey year. and i guess the return is less than if they went to get reynolds.

otherwise, i'm not surprised they cut bait on guri and teo before they were due bigger paydays in their 30s. it's a move i'd do too.

and maybe they have another OF in mind or they'll give Biggio/Merrifield those ABs

they clearly want better defense/run prevention after running the likes of tapia out there last season.
T-d0t
General Manager

Post#53 » by T-d0t » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:39 pm

SharoneWright wrote:2 thumbs down.

Moreno gonna hurt us for many many years.

What happened to being "more than happy to employ 3 catchers" and dealing from a position of strength??? All the talk of needing a lefty bat finally pushed Ross into a panic trade. Booourns.

This once again proves our media don't know ****
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#54 » by ItsDanger » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:39 pm

Kiermaier is starting as he stated. If healthy, he's quality CF but I'm assuming he's platooning.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Fairview4Life
RealGM

Post#55 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:40 pm

SharoneWright wrote:2 thumbs down.

Moreno gonna hurt us for many many years. A decade of regret.

How is this not a trade from a position of strength to shore up a weakness?
guvernator
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by guvernator » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:40 pm

ItsDanger wrote:Kiermaier is starting as he stated. If healthy, he's quality CF but I'm assuming he's platooning.

platoon kk and merrifield.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,272

Post#57 » by Madvillainy2004 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:42 pm

guvernator wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
guvernator wrote:daulton varsho is not good... like nothing about his offensive profile is exciting. Unless Shatkins think that Moreno's loss of power stroke is real, this is another **** trade in a line of **** trades.
Essentially, if Bo and Vlad don't stick around in 3 years, this team is absolutely back in the tank again. (also clearly, staying below the tax threshold is a thing in this case. FU Rogers).

This trade was about defense. And he's had a higher war than anyone on our team last year. You can be meh on the trade but Varsho is good.

Still to be seen if Varsho can sustain. I'll take Moreno (even with the loss of power) over what ever Varsho can do (half his war is from defence... good luck projecting that).

There's definitely a level of risk in this trade. I mean defense is hard to project but I doubt he goes from leading the majors in some defensive metrics to being bad lol. A lefty power bat with great defense was what we needed. I wanted a more established star for Moreno but his 4 yrs of control are huge too.
tanuki1031
Veteran
And1: 3,394

Post#58 » by tanuki1031 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:42 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
primecougar wrote:Whats everyone complaining about? We got the best outfield defender from last year that can hit for power, is a lefty, and can catch.

Moreno is still a nice prospect and gurriel is 27 and will be a free agent next year

I don't care for Gurriell at all lol was a idiot in the field, has 0 power now. His best value was his 7/21 contract.

Sentimental reaction of losing a visible energy guy (and not much else) in Gurriel and a hot prospect on paper in Moreno, while gaining a relative unknown in Varsho because how many Jays fans watch the D-Backs?

Varsho put up elite defensive numbers (we need) and adds a much needed lefty in the line-up (we need), and it's not like he has no chance of making up the massive offensive numbers (lllol) of the guys going out.

Losing Moreno sucks but this is a win now move to keep with the Vlad/Bo window. We had too many catchers and who really knows whether Moreno will go the Pug route or Yan Gomes and JP Arencibia.
ItsDanger
RealGM

Post#59 » by ItsDanger » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:43 pm

Jays are going for a run prevention lineup. Varsho is a plus defender.
guvernator
Pro Prospect

Post#60 » by guvernator » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:43 pm

So unless Tiedemann takes the next step, this team has no blue chip prospects left (Hopefully jays are signing that Bonilla kid in next year's IFA).

Return to Toronto Blue Jays