ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Jays @ Reds, Aug 18-20

Moderator: JaysRule15

Which predictions will be the closest to being right?

Game 1
No votes
Game 2
No votes
Game 3
100%

Total votes: 2

SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,533
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Re: GT: Jays @ Reds, Aug 18-20 

Post#61 » by SharoneWright » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:18 am

Brinbe wrote:pain

Is anybody here a marine biologist?
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#62 » by SharoneWright » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:25 am

Stand up Reds Nation! You just beat the mighty Vladimir Guerrero! Just be careful though, next game he might throw sunflower seeds at you!
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#63 » by SharoneWright » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:29 am

Game 1 predicted score was 7-3.

A couple more of these 1-0 losses, and it will be the closest to being right.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,468

Post#64 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:32 am

Read on Twitter
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,616

Post#65 » by HangTime » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:56 am

I guess the 7-3 i saw wasn't the score, it was 7 total hits, and Jays had 3 of them.
Potential
RealGM
And1: 44,193

Post#66 » by Potential » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:57 am

Mariners please put one of the worst offensive teams in the history of professional sports out of their misery once and for all. Let's see how Atkins fixes the lineup in the offseason
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#67 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:57 am

Read on Twitter

Imagine if the Jays had an elite player like this who carried their teams into the playoffs.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#68 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:58 am

Potential wrote:Mariners please put one of the worst offensive teams in the history of professional sports out of their misery once and for all. Let's see how Atkins fixes the lineup in the offseason

Let's hope Atkins isn't the one doing the fixing.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#69 » by COY0607 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:03 am

I don’t feel good about this team at all, they have consistently disappointed all season, and I feel like something has broken the past couple of weeks

Maybe Bo coming back sparks the offense, but Mariners are peaking and I think they’ll put some distance between themselves and Jays quickly

This season has been a such a drag
Mehar
Analyst
And1: 2,331

Post#70 » by Mehar » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:12 am

Potential wrote:Mariners please put one of the worst offensive teams in the history of professional sports out of their misery once and for all. Let's see how Atkins fixes the lineup in the offseason

Hopefully it is James Click who does the fixing and not Atkins. However, there are rumblings out of New York, that the Yankees might be interested in looking at bringing James Click on board as GM, and possibly having Cashman remain as Vice-President. Still in disbelief that Atkins did not acquire a better bat at the deadline, and felt that Paul DeJong alone was sufficient for the stretch run. He said the players just needed to hit better. Well that has not happened, even after the deadline. If the Jays miss the playoffs, you simply cannot give a 9th year to Ross Atkins. Zero Playoff Wins in 8 years will be the legacy of Shapiro and Atkins, along with hiring incompetent managers like Schneider and Montoyo. That on top of a 213 million payroll, which is three times more than what the Orioles and Rays are spending, and about 80 million more than Seattle.
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#71 » by COY0607 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:26 am

Initially this was a decent, maybe even above average offense that struggled with RISP

Lately they’re just a bad offense, so many 3-4 hit games, with most of those being soft singles

They will need a major overhaul in the off-season. I’ve lost hope for this season
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,928

Post#72 » by Michael Bradley » Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:36 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

If I had any confidence that Shapiro would fire/replace Atkins, then I'd be able to convince myself that the Jays missing the playoffs might have an unintended benefit, but seems more likely they will just scapegoat the hitting coach(es) and retool from there. And really, if there's anyone out there in the world that can fix Vlad, then that alone would raise the ceiling on this team substantially, but at this point I don't think Atkins should be the one to make those decisions. Certainly not if they miss the playoffs.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,906

Post#73 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:10 am

Michael Bradley wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

If I had any confidence that Shapiro would fire/replace Atkins, then I'd be able to convince myself that the Jays missing the playoffs might have an unintended benefit, but seems more likely they will just scapegoat the hitting coach(es) and retool from there. And really, if there's anyone out there in the world that can fix Vlad, then that alone would raise the ceiling on this team substantially, but at this point I don't think Atkins should be the one to make those decisions. Certainly not if they miss the playoffs.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. There is zero accountability in this organization.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#74 » by SharoneWright » Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:11 am

So what does the base runner on 1st do there when Vladdy dropped the ball on purpose? Is he allowed just to stay standing on 1B? That seems like the only move right? Or does he need to vacate the base once the ball is in play to provide an opportunity for the hitter to reach? I think he does…
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#75 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:16 am

SharoneWright wrote:So what does the base runner on 1st do there when Vladdy dropped the ball on purpose? Is he allowed just to stay standing on 1B? That seems like the only move right? Or does he need to vacate the base once the ball is in play to provide an opportunity for the hitter to reach? I think he does…

He should have stayed on 1st, yeah. It was a mistake to leave it once Vlad dropped it purposely and threw to 1st eliminating the force. Of course, it's hard to blame the guy too much. The batter needs to be running there.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#76 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:18 am

Michael Bradley wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

Yes, I too don't expect Shapiro to do anything. They'll both just believe their organizational process was correct (regardless of results) and that will be all that matters.

Vlad's swing is also completely messed up right now and his plate approach is as bad as it has ever been in his major league career. It would be nice if they found someone who knew how to fix him before he figures it out elsewhere.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,646

Post#77 » by Asianiac_24 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:20 am

I can't believe Cavan Biggio was batting cleanup. Seriously, any one of Chapman/Jansen/Kirk would have easily been better
Randle McMurphy
RealGM

Post#78 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:23 am

Asianiac_24 wrote:I can't believe Cavan Biggio was batting cleanup. Seriously, any one of Chapman/Jansen/Kirk would have easily been better

I'm guessing Jansen is still hurt or hurting (he hasn't played all week), but that was mostly a product of Springer bizarrely getting a rest day after an off day when we're entering the home stretch of a tight playoff race. Gotta love that Jays High Performance Department.
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,938

Post#79 » by Hottie McShotty » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:31 am

Atkins should not be around next season if this team misses the playoffs.
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,646

Post#80 » by Asianiac_24 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:35 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
Asianiac_24 wrote:I can't believe Cavan Biggio was batting cleanup. Seriously, any one of Chapman/Jansen/Kirk would have easily been better

I'm guessing Jansen is still hurt or hurting (he hasn't played all week), but that was mostly a product of Springer bizarrely getting a rest day after an off day when we're entering the home stretch of a tight playoff race. Gotta love that Jays High Performance Department.

What's the rationale behind batting Chapman behind Biggio though? I know he's not hitting well with RISP but he's still a vastly better player

Return to Toronto Blue Jays