ImageImageImageImageImage

2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

Kaizen
Starter
And1: 22

Re: 2012 Minor Leagues/Prospect Discussion Thread 

Post#381 » by Kaizen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 pm

I am going to the game in Dunedin tomorrow. The tickets are $6 for seats in the first row. Does anybody know who is scheduled to pitch?
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#382 » by -MetA4- » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:46 pm

Should be Boone pitching I believe.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#383 » by flatjacket1 » Tue May 1, 2012 3:11 am

So far in AAA D'Arnaud is 3 for 3 with a double, and Hech is 2 for 3 with a HR.

D'Arnaud literally just manhandled his average up to .289. He's OPSing .900 in away ball parks, and crushing lefties for a similar OPS.

JPA might have a problem if D'Arnaud doesn't slow down. Hitting .390 over the last 11 games including the active game, he is tearing the cover off the ball.

Hech also is quite intriguing. Of course Escobar needs more time to figure things out, but Hech crushing the ball doesn't help any.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#384 » by Wally West » Tue May 1, 2012 8:45 pm

Does anyone have a scouting report on Jesse Chavez? I wonder what goes into the brain trust of AA and whoever as to what makes then decide to turn a failing reliever with good to great stuff into a starter.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#385 » by flatjacket1 » Tue May 1, 2012 10:26 pm

blackflash234 wrote:Does anyone have a scouting report on Jesse Chavez? I wonder what goes into the brain trust of AA and whoever as to what makes then decide to turn a failing reliever with good to great stuff into a starter.

I've always thought he was decent for a spot starter but everybody else hates him and prefers Laffey.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#386 » by Relentless88 » Tue May 1, 2012 10:38 pm

flatjacket1 wrote:
blackflash234 wrote:Does anyone have a scouting report on Jesse Chavez? I wonder what goes into the brain trust of AA and whoever as to what makes then decide to turn a failing reliever with good to great stuff into a starter.

I've always thought he was decent for a spot starter but everybody else hates him and prefers Laffey.

Please don't generalize the board like this. I haven't even seen many poster (or any for that matter) mention they'd prefer Laffey over Chavez. I think most, myself included, don't like either as a starting pitcher in the AL East. If I had to pick, I'd take Chavez in a spot start since he throws harder and has posted good numbers so far in AAA.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#387 » by flatjacket1 » Tue May 1, 2012 10:50 pm

Relentless88 wrote:Please don't generalize the board like this. I haven't even seen many poster (or any for that matter) mention they'd prefer Laffey over Chavez. I think most, myself included, don't like either as a starting pitcher in the AL East. If I had to pick, I'd take Chavez in a spot start since he throws harder and has posted good numbers so far in AAA.

Okay buddy. Here is when I posted I would start Chavez over Laffey a few weeks ago and every post in order following it. Nothing is changed or left out.

flatjacket1 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.

Apparently Carreno was going deep into counts in LV, which scares AA for some reason. Chavez isn't terrible, better than Laffey for sure.

There There wrote:You cannot be serious

Chavez is likely a much worse option than Laffey.

He has made four starts since 2005, three of them this year. He has been mediorce to awful as a reliever. He would be the 2012 right handed version of Dana Eveland and Jo-Jo Reyes.

If Chavez is starting for this team, Anthopolous has lost his **** mind.

Schadenfreude wrote:Chavez is unquestionably terrible. His xFIP is a little better than Laffey's, but that's because xFIP takes one look at his insane HR rate and says "holy ****, there's no possible way that's sustainable." But then you look at the fact that he's a power pitcher who has surrendered 1.0 HR/9 over his past 150 IP in the minors, and you realize that yeah, it's quite possible that it is in fact sustainable.

Trilogy wrote:I don't get why a guy like Chavez is getting a look, if they are going the stop gap route it makes more sense to let either Villanueva or Perez start and keeping Evan Crawford in the pen.

Then nobody else mentions Chavez and talks about Hutch and Laffey.
Relentless88
RealGM

Post#388 » by Relentless88 » Tue May 1, 2012 11:20 pm

Okay, so 3 posters = everyone. I still didn't get that they "prefer" Laffey over Chavez from those posts. The posts were mostly about how awful both these guys are, which is obviously true.
flatjacket1
Analyst

Post#389 » by flatjacket1 » Wed May 2, 2012 12:09 am

Relentless88 wrote:Okay, so 3 posters = everyone. I still didn't get that they "prefer" Laffey over Chavez from those posts. The posts were mostly about how awful both these guys are, which is obviously true.

Fine. 100% of the people who referenced my post said Laffey was better than Chavez. You said you couldn't find 1 poster who thought that, I showed you at least 3.

Let me bold some words.

Schadenfreude wrote:Blah doesn't quite cover it; starting Chavez is wretch-worthy, if it comes to that. Worse than Laffey. Quite surprised that we're not going with Carreno, and I'd be stunned if it's Hutch.

There There wrote:You cannot be serious

Chavez is likely a much worse option than Laffey.

One said "Worse than Laffey" and the other said "Chavez is likely a much worse option than Laffey" but still you "still don't get that they prefer Laffey"?
Relentless88
RealGM

Post#390 » by Relentless88 » Wed May 2, 2012 1:43 am

Saying "I prefer Laffey over Chavez" and "Chavez is a worse option to a terrible option" is a little different, IMO. The point that I got from those posts, is that they would prefer neither to start for us. I think most of the board would agree with that.

Anyways the original point was that you don't generalize "everybody" when it was really just a handful of posters.

Also this is getting OT, so I'm going to stop.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

Post#391 » by Schad » Wed May 2, 2012 5:32 am

To clarify, there are slightly under 350,000,000 people in the United States and Canada. There are few people in that pool who I would not want to have starting over Laffey, given Laffey's past performance. Chavez is one of the few who would give me pause, given that his past performance over a not-insubstantial sample size is actually worse than Laffey's.
**** your asterisk.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,076

Post#392 » by tsherkin » Wed May 2, 2012 11:18 am

Time for ignorant-Tyler to ask a few questions about Toronto minor league prospects, because I don't follow the minors much.

How are Syndergaard and Deck doing?
baulderdash77
Lead Assistant
And1: 235

Post#393 » by baulderdash77 » Wed May 2, 2012 11:52 am

I prefer neither to ever start for us in the majors & to remain minor league filler. I'd prefer in case of injury to call up McGuire & Jenkins first because I consider them actual prospects; however I'd rather have Hutch take his lumps & improve on the job because he's more likely to actually stick.
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#394 » by Al_Oliver » Wed May 2, 2012 1:32 pm

baulderdash77 wrote:I prefer neither to ever start for us in the majors & to remain minor league filler. I'd prefer in case of injury to call up McGuire & Jenkins first because I consider them actual prospects; however I'd rather have Hutch take his lumps & improve on the job because he's more likely to actually stick.

Agreed. I would like to see if Deck gives up towering bombs at the MLB level too...
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#395 » by Wally West » Wed May 2, 2012 5:59 pm

baulderdash77 wrote:I prefer neither to ever start for us in the majors & to remain minor league filler. I'd prefer in case of injury to call up McGuire & Jenkins first because I consider them actual prospects; however I'd rather have Hutch take his lumps & improve on the job because he's more likely to actually stick.

Given the fact that there was cause to concern about Chris Sale's delivery and it leading to injury problems, would you guys have taken him instead of McGuire?
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

Post#396 » by Schad » Wed May 2, 2012 6:54 pm

tsherkin wrote:Time for ignorant-Tyler to ask a few questions about Toronto minor league prospects, because I don't follow the minors much.

Syndergaard is doing pretty well through 14 IP; insanely high strikeout rate, with a few too many walks, but it's a small sample.

Deck has gotten rocked...his components aren't as bad as his 7.18 ERA, but it's worrying that he now has around 50 IP in AA over the past two years and a HR/9 of nearly 2.0.
**** your asterisk.
Tyrone Slothrop
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,203

Post#397 » by Tyrone Slothrop » Wed May 2, 2012 6:57 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
tsherkin wrote:Time for ignorant-Tyler to ask a few questions about Toronto minor league prospects, because I don't follow the minors much.

Syndergaard is doing pretty well through 14 IP; insanely high strikeout rate, with a few too many walks, but it's a small sample.

From what I've heard Syndergaard's fastball is just wayy too good for A hitters, but his secondary pitches need a lot of work.
U_Mad
Senior
And1: 83

Post#398 » by U_Mad » Wed May 2, 2012 8:32 pm

Gomes also seems to be tearing shiz up, and he was killing it during spring too...too bad hes a C

avg 369. sluggin. 560 OBP. 957
There There
Veteran
And1: 201

Post#399 » by There There » Wed May 2, 2012 8:33 pm

Tyrone Slothrop wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:

From what I've heard Syndergaard's fastball is just wayy too good for A hitters, but his secondary pitches need a lot of work.

Which is why this approach the Jays have taken in limiting their innings is a bit worrisome.

I would imagine it's not the most effective approach to work on your secondary pitches when you're working like a reliever and generally only going through the lineup once.

I understand they do not want to have to shut them down later in the year due to reaching their innings limit, but I hope at the same time we're not stunting their development.
Graham's Cracker
Analyst
And1: 647

Post#400 » by Graham's Cracker » Wed May 2, 2012 11:31 pm

Al_Oliver wrote:

Agreed. I would like to see if Deck gives up towering bombs at the MLB level too...

In that sense he would fit right in with our pitching staff.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays