Around the MLB 2018

Moderator: JaysRule15

JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Re: Around the MLB 2017 

Post#1461 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:39 pm

Start the rebuild already goddammit. Get something back for guys like JD, Smoak, Pillar, Osuna, Happ etc. We are not contending in 2018 with this core.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#1462 » by Tanner » Sat Dec 9, 2017 3:49 pm

Trading Donaldson has always come down to the return. If it's worth it, and can add two or three good pieces, then go it. If it doesn't, and teams are lowballing due to his years of control left, then trading him for the sake of trading him doesn't help. The goal should be to make the team better long term, and I'm sure short term will also be a consideration due to the circumstances (owned by a corporation that doesn't want to disappoint shareholders, plus might be looking to sell).

I don't think the Yankees getting Stanton changes anything. Ohtani going to the Angels probably impacted the Jays more since the second wild card is more of where their chances fall.

I am not against non tanking moves. Trading JD if a great deal comes up, but still trying to put the most competitive team on the field. I'd prefer rebuilding like the Yankees did, over what the White Sox are doing.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,189

Post#1463 » by Hoopstarr » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:14 pm

Does the Sherman Antitrust Act apply to baseball?
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#1464 » by dagger » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:10 pm

Hoopstarr wrote:Does the Sherman Antitrust Act apply to baseball?

No, MLB has an exemption.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM

Post#1465 » by dagger » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:22 pm

Deal looks done, Stanton has green lighted it.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#1466 » by Lateral Quicks » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:48 pm

Jays will be in tough to snag a wild card spot - Yankees and Angels are now the clear favourites for those two spots.

Still, both those teams have question marks. Stanton was merely "very good" in 2015 and 2016, and has had injury issues. Judge struck out a metric tonne and one would expect some regression from him - can be certain teams are studying the tape on him this off-season. Ohtani and Trout should make a fearsome duo, but beyond that the Angels have depth issues.

Still... not looking good right now. Jays do have some money to spend though.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#1467 » by Schad » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:21 pm

We have some money to spend, but those other teams have similar amounts. If the Yankees intend to spend up to (but not into) the luxury tax, they still have a shade under $30m at their disposal after their arb-eligible players are accounted for. The Angels have another $25m, if their budget hasn't increased over last season.

This is going to be tough sledding, to say the least.
**** your asterisk.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1468 » by Schad » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:28 pm

Tanner wrote:
I am not against non tanking moves. Trading JD if a great deal comes up, but still trying to put the most competitive team on the field. I'd prefer rebuilding like the Yankees did, over what the White Sox are doing.

Don't think we're in a position where we'd need to do a full White Sox, but our hand is kinda forced on timing, because so much of our team is approaching free agency (and are risky extension possibilities). We can definitely move players while simultaneously bringing in major leaguers with more team control, however.
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#1469 » by SharoneWright » Sat Dec 9, 2017 9:28 pm

This move makes their stupid short porch in right seem even more cheesy.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1470 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:26 pm

Welp, we're treadmilling until we crash and burn boys.

On paper, there’s a case to be made for listening on Donaldson this winter — perhaps even more so now that Stanton’s a Yankee. Donaldson would undoubtedly net a substantial return, but there’s no guarantee he’d command quite the same at next year’s trade deadline. Contending teams might have third basemen in place by then, and those that don’t could have the option of pursuing fellow 2018 free agent Manny Machado in trade.

That said, Donaldson’s expected to play for Toronto in 2018. Atkins says team decision makers feel a “personal responsibility” toward the fans who led the American League in attendance this past season and watched in even greater numbers on TV. The GM cites a similar obligation to veterans such as Martin, J.A. Happ and Troy Tulowitzki. “When we don’t [win], I feel that we’ve let them down,” he says.

That’s one of the reasons the Blue Jays aren’t going to tear it down. Instead, they’ll look to contend in 2018 by supplementing their existing roster this off-season and hoping that some of the players who suffered injuries in 2017 rebound. “I personally don’t feel that you should ever be in a rebuild mode, especially in this market and in this environment,” Atkins says. “There might be soft resets based on circumstance, based on where you are as a team and it’s managing risk and mitigating risk, and understanding that there are times that you should be more opportunistic. But personally, I don’t buy into the strategy that we’re not going to be a good team for five and six years.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-gm-ross-atkins-rebuild-decisions/
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#1471 » by BramptonYute » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:34 pm

Lol, we're really gonna be praying for the 2nd wild card spot.

Just pls dont **** up the donaldson situation.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#1472 » by polo007 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1473 » by Schad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:07 pm

We have already **** up the Donaldson situation. Unless we're absolute trash, we'll kinda have to hope that he and Happ walk for compensation picks, because that's at least better value than extending them.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM

Post#1474 » by dagger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:57 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:Welp, we're treadmilling until we crash and burn boys.

On paper, there’s a case to be made for listening on Donaldson this winter — perhaps even more so now that Stanton’s a Yankee. Donaldson would undoubtedly net a substantial return, but there’s no guarantee he’d command quite the same at next year’s trade deadline. Contending teams might have third basemen in place by then, and those that don’t could have the option of pursuing fellow 2018 free agent Manny Machado in trade.

That said, Donaldson’s expected to play for Toronto in 2018. Atkins says team decision makers feel a “personal responsibility” toward the fans who led the American League in attendance this past season and watched in even greater numbers on TV. The GM cites a similar obligation to veterans such as Martin, J.A. Happ and Troy Tulowitzki. “When we don’t [win], I feel that we’ve let them down,” he says.

That’s one of the reasons the Blue Jays aren’t going to tear it down. Instead, they’ll look to contend in 2018 by supplementing their existing roster this off-season and hoping that some of the players who suffered injuries in 2017 rebound. “I personally don’t feel that you should ever be in a rebuild mode, especially in this market and in this environment,” Atkins says. “There might be soft resets based on circumstance, based on where you are as a team and it’s managing risk and mitigating risk, and understanding that there are times that you should be more opportunistic. But personally, I don’t buy into the strategy that we’re not going to be a good team for five and six years.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/toronto-blue-jays-gm-ross-atkins-rebuild-decisions/

This is the kind of half-assing that caused the Jays to go 22 years without playoffs.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,705

Post#1475 » by Kurtz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Schad wrote:We have already **** up the Donaldson situation. Unless we're absolute trash, we'll kinda have to hope that he and Happ walk for compensation picks, because that's at least better value than extending them.

St Louis and San Francisco should be desperate right now, having missed out on Stanton. Boston should be even more desperate to answer this move. All 3 teams could use a massive upgrade at 3B.

This is a very opportune time to start a bidding war for JD between these 3 teams, I think.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1476 » by Schad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:24 pm

Kurtz wrote:St Louis and San Francisco should be desperate right now, having missed out on Stanton. Boston should be even more desperate to answer this move. All 3 teams could use a massive upgrade at 3B.

This is a very opportune time to start a bidding war for JD between these 3 teams, I think.

Boston's probably set with Devers, but STL and SF are absolutely in the market. Open question with the Giants have the pieces necessary, though.

And that's part of the problem...there aren't many teams with a need at 3B, and with the prospects to pay full freight. We know there's one in STL with both, and with interest in Donaldson. But 3B is a pretty deep position these days, and if the Cards find someone, who knows if there'll be anyone offering a bounty at the trade deadline.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1477 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Like how is it even acceptable for the front office to say that our vision for the team is focused on having a personal responsibility to please the fans and not letting them down lol.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1478 » by Schad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:07 pm

It's pretty comical. Like, we know that the aim is to milk this for all it's worth before the fans stop showing up, but we're barely even attempting to make the argument that we're going to be playoff contenders. It's just "hey, who knows, but we can't rebuild because we have veterans and fans."
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM

Post#1479 » by dagger » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#1480 » by So_Fresh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 am

Apparently the Jays are interested in Josh Harrison.

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Blue Jays