ImageImageImageImageImage

2017 Salary Situation

Moderator: JaysRule15

bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

2017 Salary Situation 

Post#1 » by bluerap23 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 4:20 pm

This is what I have so far for 2017. We are currently at about $160 million. Last year we started the season at about $140 and finished the year at about $160 million. Budget is projected at $160-165. Perhaps one more FA signing or a trade where the payroll isn't hugely impacted. The reality of Martin and Tulo contracts is really going to impact this team moving forward. Having 25-30% of payroll allotted to two aging players that don't impact the game offensively may spell the end of this run we have been on.

Martin, Russell $20,000,000
Tulowitzki, Troy $20,000,000
Jose Bautista $18,000,000
Upton, Melvin Jr. $1,000,000
Donaldson, Josh $17,000,000
Estrada, Marco $14,500,000
Liriano, Francisco $13,666,667
Happ, J.A. $13,000,000
Morales, Kendrys $10,000,000
Pearce, Steve $6,250,000
Smoak, Justin $4,125,000
Stroman, Marcus $3,400,000
Grilli, Jason $3,000,000
Howell, JP $3,000,000
Smith, Joe $3,000,000
Barney, Darwin $2,887,500
Loup, Aaron $1,125,000
Gurriel, Lourdes $1,028,571
Carrera, Ezequiel $1,162,500
Pillar, Kevin $508,000
Goins, Ryan $508,000
Sanchez, Aaron $508,000
Osuna, Roberto $508,000
Jimenez, A.J. $508,000
Travis, Devon $508,000
Biagini, Joe $508,000
Barnes, Danny $508,000
Schultz, Bo $70,000
Alford, Anthony $70,000
Borucki, Ryan $70,000
Campos, Leonel $70,000
Ceciliani, Darrell $70,000
Dermody, Matt $70,000
Girodo, Chad $70,000
Bolsinger, Mike $70,000
Leone, Dominic $70,000
Pompey, Dalton $70,000
Ramirez, Harold $70,000
Smith, Chris $70,000
Tepera, Ryan $70,000
Urena, Richard $70,000
TOTAL - TOR $161,189,238

Starters
Sanchez
Stroman
Happ
Estrada
Liriano

Bullpen
Osuna
Grilli
Biagini
Howell
Loup
Smith
Barnes

Lineup
Travis
Donaldson
Jose
Morales
Tulo
Martin
Pearce
Upton
Pillar

Bench
Smoak
Barney
Goins
Carrera
Jiminez
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Re: 2017 Salary Situation 

Post#2 » by Wo1verine » Mon Dec 5, 2016 4:44 pm

Even if we spent up to $160M, $20M still isn't much money in today's MLB.

Would be shocking if we signed Fowler with this updated salary situation.

Contract would have to be back loaded or money shipped out most likely.
BrunoSkull
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#3 » by bluerap23 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 4:48 pm

Wo1verine wrote:Even if we spent up to $160M, $20M still isn't much money in today's MLB.

Would be shocking if we signed Fowler with this updated salary situation

Agreed. I don't see any impact signing unless we are trading Tulo or Martin.
Numbers are accurate. Source: Cot's and Sportrac. Arbitration numbers are accurately projected by MLB trade rumours.
Wo1verine

Post#4 » by Wo1verine » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:09 pm

bluerap23 wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:Even if we spent up to $160M, $20M still isn't much money in today's MLB.

Numbers are accurate. Source: Cot's and Sportrac. Arbitration numbers are accurately projected by MLB trade rumours.

Yeah, those numbers are a little depressing to be honest .. While lots of off-season left... Current salary situation doesn't exactly boost confidence when it comes to bringing in an impact player like Fowler, with all the other needs we currently have on our roster.

Maybe we'll be surprised..
BrunoSkull
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:27 pm

Wo1verine wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

Yeah, those numbers are a little depressing to be honest .. While lots of off-season left... Current salary situation doesn't exactly boost confidence when it comes to bringing in an impact player like Fowler, with all the other needs we currently have on our roster.

That fact that we have been talking with Fowler would make one believe there's far more money available. If there wasn't they'd already be looking for table scraps instead. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that payroll is $170-175.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Wo1verine

Post#6 » by Wo1verine » Mon Dec 5, 2016 5:46 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:
bluerap23 wrote:

That fact that we have been talking with Fowler would make one believe there's far more money available. If there wasn't they'd already be looking for table scraps instead. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that payroll is $170-175.

I wish that you'll be correct man! Hope for the best but not expecting because i don't want to be disappointed.
BrunoSkull
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#7 » by Schad » Mon Dec 5, 2016 6:43 pm

Yeah, our payroll situation isn't particularly good; filling out our bullpen will push us into the $150m range, and we still have a few necessary additions beyond that. It's why I'm not terribly enthused about a Fowler, good though he is; we're probably better off, assuming we don't have much more to spend than believed, continuing this pattern of value additions and hoping that we have a well-rounded team with a good rotation as the cornerstone.

Either that, or trading off the likes of Tulo/Martin to free up a big chunk of money...
**** your asterisk.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#8 » by RalphWiggum » Mon Dec 5, 2016 6:54 pm

Insane to think we just recently signed Smoak to a contract where he'll make double what Sanchez, Osuna, Biagini and Pillar do combined.

I know 4 million is peanuts in today's baseball but everytime is see that number next to his name I seriously worry about the guys at the top.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Schad » Mon Dec 5, 2016 7:02 pm

RalphWiggum wrote:Insane to think we just recently signed Smoak to a contract where he'll make double what Sanchez, Osuna, Biagini and Pillar do combined.

I know 4 million is peanuts in today's baseball but everytime is see that number next to his name I seriously worry about the guys at the top.

MLB's salary structure is insane, period. I know that players entering the league tend to get screwed in CBAs, but I'm stunned that they didn't do anything substantial with the minimum salary.
**** your asterisk.
Kinger95
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,730

Post#10 » by Kinger95 » Mon Dec 5, 2016 7:04 pm

I really think that this has a lot to do with making sure that we have the money to retain Donaldson. There's gonna be some huge extension numbers thrown at him so he doesn't hit FA and if we resign Edwin it's possible that them 4 each making 20 mill plus in 2018-20 doesn't let us stay under budget after the rest of the rosters filled out. This might have less to do with EE and more of a Donaldson issue
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Schad » Mon Dec 5, 2016 7:50 pm

Unfortunately, this is probably Donaldson's last season here. He'll command in excess of $30m a year, and the point at which we might have been able to extend him prior to free agency has likely passed. If we take a step back this year, it makes far more sense to move him for a king's ransom rather than hoping to outbid the many teams who'd throw money at him.
**** your asterisk.
The_Hater

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Mon Dec 5, 2016 7:59 pm

Schad wrote:Yeah, our payroll situation isn't particularly good; filling out our bullpen will push us into the $150m range, and we still have a few necessary additions beyond that. It's why I'm not terribly enthused about a Fowler, good though he is; we're probably better off, assuming we don't have much more to spend than believed, continuing this pattern of value additions and hoping that we have a well-rounded team with a good rotation as the cornerstone.

Either that, or trading off the likes of Tulo/Martin to free up a big chunk of money...

I've been thinking that trading Martin might be wise. He could fall off the cliff at any moment.

Not sure what the market is or how much salary teams would want the Jays to eat
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#13 » by BigLeagueChew » Mon Dec 5, 2016 8:02 pm

Schad wrote:Unfortunately, this is probably Donaldson's last season here. He'll command in excess of $30m a year, and the point at which we might have been able to extend him prior to free agency has likely passed. If we take a step back this year, it makes far more sense to move him for a king's ransom rather than hoping to outbid the many teams who'd throw money at him.

Yup am already thinking hes next to leave. He still has an arbitration year left as well after this season though. What's going to happen there? 1 year @ $25-30M ? or move him at the deadline if we won't make the wildcard.
The_Hater

Post#14 » by The_Hater » Mon Dec 5, 2016 8:03 pm

Schad wrote:
RalphWiggum wrote:Insane to think we just recently signed Smoak to a contract where he'll make double what Sanchez, Osuna, Biagini and Pillar do combined.

MLB's salary structure is insane, period. I know that players entering the league tend to get screwed in CBAs, but I'm stunned that they didn't do anything substantial with the minimum salary.

Which is why it's so much smarter for a mid market team to build their roster around controllable players like the Indians and Royals have done and the Rays and A's did for years. AA seemed to be going that direction until he started to push all his chips into the middle of the table.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
rarefind
RealGM
And1: 10,055

Post#15 » by rarefind » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:14 pm

Don't worry about signing Donaldson, it isn't going to happen. If we're out of contention this year or next, he'll be dealt for prospects. The only possibility we have to retain him is Shatkins using his 2018 arb to command a discounted 2-3 year deal. Now, JD is not an idiot and neither is his agent. JD will eat the one year arb in 2018 if it comes to it and cash in, in 2019.
Wo1verine

Post#16 » by Wo1verine » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:28 pm

We can sign Donaldson and still rebuild. It doesn't have to be so drastic in my opinion.

Martin will be off the books a year later and Tulo could get traded by the deadline or next off-season to clear even more money.

By that time we'll have guys like Afford, Vald JR ( who could move positions), SRF etc waiting in the wings or already on the big league roster contributing on minimum league contracts.

Plus our farm should see an improvement within' the next 2 or 3 seasons.
BrunoSkull
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#17 » by BramptonYute » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:30 pm

Wo1verine wrote:We can sign Donaldson and still rebuild. It doesn't have to be so drastic in my opinion.

Martin will be off the books a year later and Tulo could get traded by the deadline or next off-season to clear even more money.

By that time we'll have guys like Afford, Vald JR ( who could move positions), SRF etc waiting in the wings or already on the big league roster contributing on minimum league contracts.

whats the point of keeping donaldson through a rebuild?

Just trade him for a haul.
The_Hater

Post#18 » by The_Hater » Tue Dec 6, 2016 8:16 pm

BramptonYute wrote:
Wo1verine wrote:We can sign Donaldson and still rebuild. It doesn't have to be so drastic in my opinion.

It probably depends if the Jays just want to retool for just a season or 2 or do a full rebuild. It also might depend on pressure from ownership who might not want to let their biggest ticket go.

And if you think back over the past 15 years of mediocrity. Halladay, Edwin, Jose, Delgado all stayed here as free agents.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#19 » by BramptonYute » Tue Dec 6, 2016 9:24 pm

The_Hater wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:

It probably depends if the Jays just want to retool for just a season or 2 or do a full rebuild. It also might depend on pressure from ownership who might not want to let their biggest ticket go.

And if you think back over the past 15 years of mediocrity. Halladay, Edwin, Jose, Delgado all stayed here as free agents.

I think you're way better off trading Donaldson (and everyone else) and taking a step back for a couple years than keeping him and retooling.

Theres no point keeping a franchise talent surrounded by a bad team. Why keep repeating history?
The_Hater

Post#20 » by The_Hater » Tue Dec 6, 2016 9:51 pm

BramptonYute wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:whats the point of keeping donaldson through a rebuild?

I think you're way better off trading Donaldson (and everyone else) and taking a step back for a couple years than keeping him and retooling.

Theres no point keeping a franchise talent surrounded by a bad team. Why keep repeating history?

I don't disagree, I only gave alternatives to why they might not deal him.

Imagine the Jays have another playoff year with huge attendence and TV rating and Rogers decides to start spending like a top 5 team to keep the run going. Then you might be looking at a retool rather than a rebuild. And keeping J+sh might put enough money in the coffers to pay for a large chunk of his salary.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays