MavCarter
RealGM
And1: 30,987

Re: 2017 Salary Situation 

Post#21 » by MavCarter » Tue Dec 6, 2016 10:05 pm

The_Hater wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
It probably depends if the Jays just want to retool for just a season or 2 or do a full rebuild. It also might depend on pressure from ownership who might not want to let their biggest ticket go.

And if you think back over the past 15 years of mediocrity. Halladay, Edwin, Jose, Delgado all stayed here as free agents.

I think you're way better off trading Donaldson (and everyone else) and taking a step back for a couple years than keeping him and retooling.

Theres no point keeping a franchise talent surrounded by a bad team. Why keep repeating history?

I don't disagree, I only gave alternatives to why they might not deal him.

Imagine the Jays have another playoff year with huge attendence and TV rating and Rogers decides to start spending like a top 5 team to keep the run going. Then you might be looking at a retool rather than a rebuild. And keeping J+sh might put enough money in the coffers to pay for a large chunk of his salary.

I don't think rogers will ever spend like a top 5 team. They have shareholders to please
#Enjoytheride
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#22 » by Schad » Tue Dec 6, 2016 10:10 pm

It might be worth considering if you could be absolutely assured of keeping Donaldson for less than, like, $32m a year deep into his 30s. But he's almost definitely going to test free agency, and from there anything can happen...he'll be hitting FA in what could be a ridiculous class, which could i) leave some players taking less than full market value if they aren't the primary targets of the teams with cash, or ii) lead to an unprecedented orgy of spending if teams keep their powder dry in the run-up to that free agent class, as it has been speculated they might.

Too many variables that could work against us; I'd be surprised if he's a Jay approaching FA, even if we believe that there's value added in a possible deal.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#23 » by dagger » Tue Dec 6, 2016 10:21 pm

The_Hater wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
It probably depends if the Jays just want to retool for just a season or 2 or do a full rebuild. It also might depend on pressure from ownership who might not want to let their biggest ticket go.

And if you think back over the past 15 years of mediocrity. Halladay, Edwin, Jose, Delgado all stayed here as free agents.

I think you're way better off trading Donaldson (and everyone else) and taking a step back for a couple years than keeping him and retooling.

Theres no point keeping a franchise talent surrounded by a bad team. Why keep repeating history?

Imagine the Jays have another playoff year with huge attendence and TV rating and Rogers decides to start spending like a top 5 team to keep the run going. Then you might be looking at a retool rather than a rebuild. And keeping J+sh might put enough money in the coffers to pay for a large chunk of his salary.

I have a feeling the tax and currency situation is going to rear its ugly head when we talk of getting, or retaining, very top tier guys. With Trump and a GOP Congress, I'm assuming top tier tax rates in the US will be rolled back. It might cost the Jays CAD $10m more per season to keep JD here than to let him walk. However, if there is a chance to keep him, I suspect the odds will depend on how fast the farm system appears to be recovering this year and how little our other older vets decline. It's all about bridging the chasm AA created in the asset development stream.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#24 » by BramptonYute » Tue Dec 6, 2016 10:22 pm

The_Hater wrote:
BramptonYute wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I think they can afford to go away for a couple years. They were bad for 20+ and we all came running back, im sure a couple years wont hurt us that much or at all.

Although I would agree that this wouldnt be the ideal time to take a step back.

I was shocked to see that TFC had sold like 37,000 tickets to that game against montreal. The city, for the most part, supports a winner. A city full of bandwagoners lol. Raptors, were bad for so long (with a good season mixed in here and there but didnt really turn a corner till 2014) and now they've been selling out every night since they've been a good team, jays were meh to bad for 20+ years, finally became good and they average 40,000+ a night, TFC didnt do a thing for 10 years, now they're getting a ton of people to show up to BMO. I think the fans will come back.

I think, though, that if they traded some of these guys (outside of tulo and martin cause we know they wont pull much), they need to get good ass deals to at least sell the fanbase on an extremely bright future. Ideally you get deals where you get a really good talent thats not too far away, like when the A's traded Russell for Samadirjza. Of course, you dont always get your ideal situation.

As long as the team ends up good, people will show up and they'll watch on TV.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#25 » by bluerap23 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:45 am

Numbers updated with Arbitration figures (I put Stro in at 3.4 assuming he wins or we settle on a two year), Jose and the reported update on Upton (we only owe him $1 million this season).

So we are currently around 155 million. If 165 is an accurate projection there is still room to add a significant arm to the bullpen.
Patman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,410

Post#26 » by Patman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Wo1verine wrote:We can sign Donaldson and still rebuild. It doesn't have to be so drastic in my opinion.

Martin will be off the books a year later and Tulo could get traded by the deadline or next off-season to clear even more money.

By that time we'll have guys like Afford, Vald JR ( who could move positions), SRF etc waiting in the wings or already on the big league roster contributing on minimum league contracts.

Plus our farm should see an improvement within' the next 2 or 3 seasons.

It doesn't make sense. Josh will not have any protection in the line-up, and we'd still be a bad team with or without him. It makes much more sense to ship him out for players that will peak at the same time as our top prospects. We might even be able to unload Russ along with him.
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#27 » by bluerap23 » Thu Feb 2, 2017 3:11 pm

Updated figure with howell is 158+

I suppose they have room for one more arm in the budget.
bluerap23
Head Coach

Post#28 » by bluerap23 » Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:22 pm

Up to approximately $161 million with Joe Smith signing. Still have to make a move to make a spot on 40 man. I wouldn't be surprised if they trade Darwin Barney for salary savings, though I hope they don't.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#29 » by polo007 » Mon Apr 3, 2017 2:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Toronto Blue Jays