ImageImageImageImageImage

Offseason Signings/Rumours Thread

Moderator: JaysRule15

vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Re: Offseason Signings/Rumours Thread 

Post#221 » by vaff87 » Sun Apr 2, 2017 3:03 am

All we need to do is get one of these many, many superstar minor leaguers that are apparently out there going undiscovered, to play LF.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#222 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Apr 2, 2017 3:57 am

Not sure why we're going with Goins over Upton to be honest. Barney could play the backup infielder role. Even though Upton might not do much with the bat, he's pretty much our only speed option off the bench and is an ok defender. On a team full of older, slower guys, having a speed threat on the bench for late inning situations is a pretty valuable option imo.

I really don't see Goins bringing much to the table at all if we're going with Barney as well. Maybe the team doesn't trust Travis' knee and feels and that he'll be going back to the DL shortly. That's pretty much the only reason I can think where you can justify keeping both Barney and Goins.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#223 » by StopitLeo » Wed Apr 5, 2017 5:06 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:Not sure why we're going with Goins over Upton to be honest. Barney could play the backup infielder role. Even though Upton might not do much with the bat, he's pretty much our only speed option off the bench and is an ok defender. On a team full of older, slower guys, having a speed threat on the bench for late inning situations is a pretty valuable option imo.

I really don't see Goins bringing much to the table at all if we're going with Barney as well. Maybe the team doesn't trust Travis' knee and feels and that he'll be going back to the DL shortly. That's pretty much the only reason I can think where you can justify keeping both Barney and Goins.

Someone made the point in another thread that there might be longer term thinking behind choosing Goins over Upton. Goins has 4 years of control paying him peanuts while Barney is going to be UFA after this season and will command much more. If Barney leaves then having Goins as a utility MI for the next few years is a pretty good option. And who knows, maybe he'll hit like he did in 2015, which would be a bonus on top of the defense you can count on. Goins also played some OF last year so it's possible there is some value in that as well.

While speed off the bench for the late innings would be a nice luxury I think 4 years of Goins is worth more than that. And perhaps it is time that Pompey shows he can be a 4th outfielder and bring those legs to the bench.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#224 » by Skin Blues » Wed Apr 5, 2017 6:26 pm

StopitLeo wrote:Goins has 4 years of control paying him peanuts ... Goins also played some OF last year so it's possible there is some value in that as well.

If Goins is on the roster for 4 more years, we're in big big trouble.

He has no value as a shortstop; his value as an OF is off the charts in the red. Saying "maybe he'll play like he did the final two months of 2015" is like saying "maybe I'll win the lottery before my next mortgage payment is due so I won't bother going to work anymore".
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#225 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed Apr 5, 2017 7:22 pm

Goins is the 2nd best shortstop we have though. Barney could play there or 3rd base if needed but he's better suited at 2nd base than shortstop. You need a middle infielder capable of playing short much like your 4th outfielder, or one of your outfielders needs to cover centerfield just in case. Goins is on the roster for the same reason as the last 2 years and before that was because Travis wasn't here yet. Hopefully Travis and Tulo remain in the lineup as long as they can but they could probably use a day off here and there as well even if everything is alright.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#226 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed Apr 5, 2017 7:23 pm

Gavin Floyd has been released according to baseball america.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,606

Post#227 » by StopitLeo » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:19 pm

Skin Blues wrote:
StopitLeo wrote:Goins has 4 years of control paying him peanuts ... Goins also played some OF last year so it's possible there is some value in that as well.

If Goins is on the roster for 4 more years, we're in big big trouble.

He has no value as a shortstop; his value as an OF is off the charts in the red. Saying "maybe he'll play like he did the final two months of 2015" is like saying "maybe I'll win the lottery before my next mortgage payment is due so I won't bother going to work anymore".

Just because he is under control doesn't mean he'll be on the roster for 4 years.

How does Goins have no value as a SS when he is our backup SS? He has played considerably more short in his career than Barney (who is a 2B/3B). The point about the OF was that he can play there in a pinch. You aren't putting Upton in the infield, ever.
wazabifuzz
Starter
And1: 599

Post#228 » by wazabifuzz » Thu Apr 6, 2017 5:32 pm

EE is going to make the Jays regret it for letting him go ...
so far the jays are not doing anything better than what they were doing last year and in hindsight EE should have been signed...
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#229 » by pingpongrac » Thu Apr 6, 2017 6:29 pm

wazabifuzz wrote:EE is going to make the Jays regret it for letting him go ...
so far the jays are not doing anything better than what they were doing last year and in hindsight EE should have been signed...

Two games into the season. :lol:
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#230 » by polo007 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 pm

According to TSN Baseball Insider Steve Phillips, the Toronto Blue Jays are in trouble.

http://www.tsn.ca/the-blue-jays-are-in-trouble-1.724615

The Blue Jays are in trouble. No one is hitting, other than Donaldson and reserve infielder Darwin Barney. In fact, they are the only two Jays hitting over .250.

Toronto is caught between the proverbial rock and the hard place. They can’t afford to put Donaldson on the DL and they can’t afford not to put him on it. They need his offence desperately, but they also need it desperately two weeks from now. If the Jays don’t put Donaldson on the DL, he may be lost for a month or more. That would be catastrophic. I will be surprised if the Jays don’t put him on the 10-day DL.

General manager Ross Atkins should get on the phone immediately and see if the Mets would consider trading Jay Bruce. The Mets have a crowded outfield with Yoenis Cespedes, Curtis Granderson, Jay Bruce and Michael Conforto. New York would prefer to trade Bruce over any of the others and he would be a great fit in Toronto.

If money is an issue, consider a deal that would send Francisco Liriano and Dalton Pompey to New York for Bruce and young starter Robert Gsellman. The Mets would get an upgrade over Gsellman and an outfielder to replace Bruce, while the Jays would get a hitter in Bruce to upgrade the offence and a starter to replace Liriano. Bruce and Liriano are both making $13 million, so the money would be a wash.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#231 » by Skin Blues » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:23 am

If we could get Gsellman for Pompey we should act fast. Probably 0% chance the Mets even consider that though. Too bad Phillips isn't their GM still or we might have a shot at landing him.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#232 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:39 pm

lol no way the Mets would give us Gsellemen for Pompey. Well, maybe they would if we guilt Alderson for stealing Syndergaard from us.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays