ImageImageImageImageImage

MLB Scrubs Success over Minor League Stars

Moderator: JaysRule15

North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

MLB Scrubs Success over Minor League Stars 

Post#1 » by North_of_Border » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:39 pm

Just an observation I made and would like your opinion. It really boggles the mind.

There are many, many, very skilled players in the minors. Very successful in their trades. Yet, most will never get a realistic shot at a MLB spot. Which is reasonable I guess, considering how hard it is to make it to the MLB level. It's a rare opportunity and the odds are against anyone. Most minor leaguers, even if they are very good will likely never make it to the Majors. Nor would they make millions. I read minor leaguers earn a very very poor wage. They are basically just chasing a dream.

Yet we always see the many, many, fringe, mediocre talents carve out a astablished MLB career and earn millions over years and years at the top level. Guys that are garbage.

Who am I talking about?

Maybe say Ryan Goins. Or Ezequel Carrera, or Justin Smoak. Even if these guys were waived by the Jays, someone might just pick them up again and through them a cookie. Yet all while there are minor league stars who can actually play. But never will.

Why do teams keep these scrubs, even if it's for just a bench role. When say you can get a much more skilled player who maybe has the potential to contribute at a much higher level. He might not, but the potential is there. The scrubs will be scrubs and stay scrubs. Low upside or high upside? Why not?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Re: MLB Scrubs Success over Minor League Stars 

Post#2 » by Schad » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:54 pm

I haven't even the foggiest idea what you're talking about. Are you suggesting that there's a deep pool of very talented minor leaguers that we're ignoring in favour of the likes of Goins and Carrera? If so, who are these people?
**** your asterisk.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#3 » by vaff87 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:13 pm

:rofl: WTF?
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#4 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:57 pm

"Scrubs" like Carrera or Smoak would be stars at the minor league level. Most of these "scrubs" are called AAAA players. It's because they're too good for the minor leagues, but not good enough to be starters in the majors. The gap between the minors and the majors is huge and minor league success is much more likely not to translate at the major league level.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:38 pm

If you're good enough to play in the majors, somebody will find you and guve you a shot. There isn't some mass conspiracy going on. Teams are constantly looking for talented players making the minimum salary.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,555

Post#6 » by s e n s i » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:25 am

who are these STARS rotting away, defecating through unhinged toilet seat on a steamy bus between biloxi and jackson. making just enough to buy a 1/3 pound monster thickburger COMBO from carls jr . why are they treated so poorly
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).

Return to Toronto Blue Jays