ImageImageImageImageImage

ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10)

Moderators: Rhettmatic, Alfred, Schad

User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,992
And1: 6,667
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#161 » by Schad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:15 am

Leone continues to bear an uncanny resemblance to a major league reliever.
User avatar
BigLeagueChew
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,976
Joined: May 26, 2011
Location: Catcher
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#162 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:20 am

Pretty big out by Leone if we're coming back from this one run game. Biggest out of the season!
“Unbelievable. I want to hug him forever,” - Russell Martin on Bautista
User avatar
BigLeagueChew
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,976
Joined: May 26, 2011
Location: Catcher
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#163 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:21 am

And this is a bad call.
“Unbelievable. I want to hug him forever,” - Russell Martin on Bautista
User avatar
TOStateofMind
RealGM
Posts: 14,920
And1: 8,084
Joined: Jul 16, 2008
   

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#164 » by TOStateofMind » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:22 am

I've had enough of these horrible umps
Image
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,992
And1: 6,667
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#165 » by Schad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:23 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:And this is a bad call.


Buck is wrong, in that Travis was a little off-balance and stepped out of the box. However, he didn't really substantively interfere, either. Not a call you see often, and for good reason.
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,992
And1: 6,667
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#166 » by Schad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:25 am

Okay, Buck...repeating over and over that "Travis never left the batter's box" when they're displaying a freeze-frame of Travis' foot directly in line with the plate isn't helping your case.
johanliebert
Pro Prospect
Posts: 936
And1: 375
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
 

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#167 » by johanliebert » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 am

One run lose coming up.
User avatar
BigLeagueChew
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,976
Joined: May 26, 2011
Location: Catcher
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#168 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:37 am

Schad wrote:Buck is wrong, in that Travis was a little off-balance and stepped out of the box. However, he didn't really substantively interfere, either. Not a call you see often, and for good reason.


Yeah unfortunately in most cases the catcher has the right of way when throwing. If he steps towards the plate while throwing its no wonder he makes contact with Travis when hes off balanced. Travis makes contact with the catcher I guess is how it should be worded this time according to the umpire. As long as they get the call right.
“Unbelievable. I want to hug him forever,” - Russell Martin on Bautista
User avatar
BigLeagueChew
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,976
Joined: May 26, 2011
Location: Catcher
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#169 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:38 am

Need a stat for most innings per game down by a single run.
“Unbelievable. I want to hug him forever,” - Russell Martin on Bautista
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,992
And1: 6,667
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#170 » by Schad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:44 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:
Schad wrote:Buck is wrong, in that Travis was a little off-balance and stepped out of the box. However, he didn't really substantively interfere, either. Not a call you see often, and for good reason.


Yeah unfortunately in most cases the catcher has the right of way when throwing. If he steps towards the plate while throwing its no wonder he makes contact with Travis when hes off balanced. Travis makes contact with the catcher I guess is how it should be worded this time according to the umpire. As long as they get the call right.


It's really borderline (at best) because there's very little contact there, and that looks like it occurs after he has released the ball, so it's basically a judgment that the catcher altered his throw as a result, and that's questionable.

The only reason I know the catcher's interference rules back to front is that I caught when I played ball, and I was that **** who went out of their way to get those calls (similarly: if you stand in the back of the box as a hitter and make contact with the catcher's glove on your swing, he gets a sore hand and you get first base). Being left-handed helped...right-handed hitters were always in the way.
User avatar
BigLeagueChew
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,976
Joined: May 26, 2011
Location: Catcher
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#171 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:51 am

Schad wrote:
It's really borderline (at best) because there's very little contact there, and that looks like it occurs after he has released the ball, so it's basically a judgment that the catcher altered his throw as a result, and that's questionable.

The only reason I know the catcher's interference rules back to front is that I caught when I played ball, and I was that **** who went out of their way to get those calls (similarly: if you stand in the back of the box as a hitter and make contact with the catcher's glove on your swing, he gets a sore hand and you get first base). Being left-handed helped...right-handed hitters were always in the way.

Yes (catchers interference) . Left handed catchers are very rare that's likely one of the reasons why. :P
“Unbelievable. I want to hug him forever,” - Russell Martin on Bautista
User avatar
BigLeagueChew
General Manager
Posts: 8,229
And1: 2,976
Joined: May 26, 2011
Location: Catcher
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#172 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:05 am

Seems like every pitch is low outside corner and not many of our hitters want to hit it that way.
“Unbelievable. I want to hug him forever,” - Russell Martin on Bautista
johanliebert
Pro Prospect
Posts: 936
And1: 375
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
 

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#173 » by johanliebert » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:06 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:Seems like every pitch is low outside corner and not many of our hitters want to hit it that way.

Easier said than done. That's also a pitchers pitch..they locate that you just tip your hat.
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,992
And1: 6,667
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#174 » by Schad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:08 am

Coghlan seems like a guy who should have waaaay more than 12 successful sac bunts in nine years.
User avatar
TOStateofMind
RealGM
Posts: 14,920
And1: 8,084
Joined: Jul 16, 2008
   

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#175 » by TOStateofMind » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:10 am

Pitcher looks bad..jays just giving free strikes away with those terrible bunt attempts
Image
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,992
And1: 6,667
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#176 » by Schad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:12 am

Welp.
User avatar
Schad
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 43,992
And1: 6,667
Joined: Feb 08, 2006
Location: I am not, and never have been, a member of the Communist bandwagon
     

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#177 » by Schad » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:14 am

Really paying for those early-season off-days...by the time we have another rest day, the team will have traveled from Toronto to LA to St Louis to Tampa to New York.
User avatar
JaysRule15
General Manager
Posts: 9,988
And1: 30,413
Joined: Dec 26, 2011
Location: S.S. Shambles en route to Guangdong

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#178 » by JaysRule15 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:19 am

At least the Raps won. Can't be too depressed about this Jays loss lol. Had a feeling that Chavez would throw the game of his life against us.
Image
S/O BrunoSkull
User avatar
Natural11
Analyst
Posts: 3,288
And1: 1,330
Joined: Nov 27, 2008

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#179 » by Natural11 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Skimmed through this one and honestly that may have been the most frustrating loss this season. Total offensive futility against mediocre pitching. Then you throw a **** home plate ump and yet another pick-off into the mix and you just get a real **** sandwich.

Why can't the Jays manufacture a run with a runner on second base and no outs? This team utterly fails at small ball. If the "big" bats are due up, the excuse is, "hey, we don't pay these guys to move runners and hit singles". What's the excuse now that we don't have any big bats?
johanliebert
Pro Prospect
Posts: 936
And1: 375
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
 

Re: ST5: Blue Jays (3-12) vs. Angels (7-10) 

Post#180 » by johanliebert » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm

Natural11 wrote:Skimmed through this one and honestly that may have been the most frustrating loss this season. Total offensive futility against mediocre pitching. Then you throw a **** home plate ump and yet another pick-off into the mix and you just get a real **** sandwich.

Why can't the Jays manufacture a run with a runner on second base and no outs? This team utterly fails at small ball. If the "big" bats are due up, the excuse is, "hey, we don't pay these guys to move runners and hit singles". What's the excuse now that we don't have any big bats?

well they attempted to bunt in the 9th how that work out?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays