Re: Rumble in the jungle - Seattle Foreman's at Toronto Ali's 

Post#82 » by BramptonYute » Sat May 13, 2017 8:13 pm

lol mariners are so ass
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#83 » by jaymeister15 » Sat May 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Feels nice to be on the other side of plays like that after how the season started.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#84 » by pingpongrac » Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 pm

What was that? All of the sudden the feed cuts out in the middle of an AB then the ball is in the air and we score a run. :lol:
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#85 » by ldnk » Sat May 13, 2017 8:30 pm

Gibby gonna Gibby. 7-2 game and you put Osuna in after he pitched last night.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,324

Post#86 » by TOStateofMind » Sat May 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Luckily that was a quick one for osuna.

Going for the sweep tomorrow.
Tigersrule
RealGM
And1: 7,543

Post#87 » by Tigersrule » Sat May 13, 2017 8:34 pm

I would say keep resting Donaldson and Tulo, and everyone else injured for now lol..were doing perfectly fine without them
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#88 » by dagger » Sat May 13, 2017 9:14 pm

Tigersrule wrote:I would say keep resting Donaldson and Tulo, and everyone else injured for now lol..were doing perfectly fine without them

Well, if the team is to go on multiple long winning streaks, which is what it would take to overtake the Red Sox and especially the Yankees, we need all hands on deck.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
jaymeister15
RealGM

Post#89 » by jaymeister15 » Sat May 13, 2017 9:56 pm

Winning like this definitely isn't sustainable with a lineup that has goins hitting 6th and the likes of coghlam, maile and Barney behind him. It's been awesome they have somehow managed to put a nice streak together with those guys, but obviously you need the regulars back asap to really get back in it.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#90 » by fouronesix22 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:28 pm

Can the jays still make the playoffs? god I hope so
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#91 » by Natural11 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:27 pm

jaymeister15 wrote:Winning like this definitely isn't sustainable with a lineup that has goins hitting 6th and the likes of coghlam, maile and Barney behind him. It's been awesome they have somehow managed to put a nice streak together with those guys, but obviously you need the regulars back asap to really get back in it.

We need JD back. It's debate-able whether or not this team "needs" the bats of Tulo and Martin to be successful.

With all hands on deck, our 2-6 (with Jose batting second) has a ridiculous strikeout rate with a very limited 2-strike approach. Consistency is also an issue. Will our scrubs continue to hit .300 all year? Probably not. But I really like the balance added to the line-up with the recent changes.

I know Maile is literally not hitting, but I believe having a scrub hit 9th actually hurts this team less than having Martin hit 5-6.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#92 » by BigLeagueChew » Sun May 14, 2017 12:10 am

Natural11 wrote:
We need JD back. It's debate-able whether or not this team "needs" the bats of Tulo and Martin to be successful.

With all hands on deck, our 2-6 (with Jose batting second) has a ridiculous strikeout rate with a very limited 2-strike approach. Consistency is also an issue. Will our scrubs continue to hit .300 all year? Probably not. But I really like the balance added to the line-up with the recent changes.

I know Maile is literally not hitting, but I believe having a scrub hit 9th actually hurts this team less than having Martin hit 5-6.

Disagree with pretty much everything here except needing JD back. Tulo is better than Goins and Martin is better than Maile. The winning record lately isn't because of a more balanced lineup than we had earlier in the season, even the worst teams can go 7 and 3 sometimes and good lineups can look awful when they're not.

It's really weird how people only like the MVP's but everyone else is somehow easily replaceable. Our lineup sucks right now but why on earth does everyone hate Martin , Tulo and even Bautista so much? MVP or bust.
jaymeister15
RealGM

Post#93 » by jaymeister15 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:57 am

Natural11 wrote:

Its really not debatable at all that they are a much better team with Martin and Tulo in the lineup instead of Goins and Maile.

How exactly is Maile adding balance to the lineup by hitting .030?

Luckily they are on the right side of variance right now and happen to be playing a team that is basically throwing out a AAA set of pitchers because of injuries...but, in no way is this lineup a better lineup than one that includes JD, Tulo, and Martin.
Natural11
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by Natural11 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:01 am

jaymeister15 wrote:
How exactly is Maile adding balance to the lineup by hitting .030?

Luckily they are on the right side of variance right now and happen to be playing a team that is basically throwing out a AAA set of pitchers because of injuries...but, in no way is this lineup a better lineup than one that includes JD, Tulo, and Martin.

Maile offers nothing offensively, but I like the balance of having guys like Barney, Carrera and even Goins getting regular time in the lineup. With regards to Martin, my issue is with Gibbons batting him in the 4-6 slot.
Natural11
Assistant Coach

Post#95 » by Natural11 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:05 am

BigLeagueChew wrote:It's really weird how people only like the MVP's but everyone else is somehow easily replaceable. Our lineup sucks right now but why on earth does everyone hate Martin , Tulo and even Bautista so much? MVP or bust.

Probably because we are paying them a combined 60 million to underachieve on a last place team. All 3 are in various stages of decline.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#96 » by johanliebert » Sun May 14, 2017 4:02 am

i didnt think it was possible to hit worse than Thole at the C spot. At this rate they may have well resigned dickey for one more season and brought his bf back.

How long has carrera been a capable hitter? :lol: seems like what he and barney are doing is sustainable imo..Goins got to go tho
Stolen Identity
Veteran
And1: 4,010

Post#97 » by Stolen Identity » Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 am

fouronesix22 wrote:Can the jays still make the playoffs? god I hope so

At this stage, anyone in the AL can make the playoffs. The Jays at full strength should be able to sustain a challenge for a spot but their division is so loaded. The Red Sox we're seen as the likely divison winner and their currently 3rd.
Stuck in Dystopia.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#98 » by So_Fresh » Sun May 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Not looking for the catcher to be our best hitter. As long as he has a good arm and foot work, and is able to block pitches, and the team is winning it's all good!
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#99 » by dagger » Sun May 14, 2017 1:52 pm

Stolen Identity wrote:
fouronesix22 wrote:Can the jays still make the playoffs? god I hope so

At this stage, anyone in the AL can make the playoffs. The Jays at full strength should be able to sustain a challenge for a spot but their division is so loaded. The Red Sox we're seen as the likely divison winner and their currently 3rd.

At a minimum, they have to overtake the Red Sox, then either hope the Orioles or Yankees take a swan dive, or that the second place team in one of the other divisions has a worse record. Like a number of posters, I'm suspicious about the Yankees' pitching. But second wildcard is a possibility. It helped to get Seattle in at a time when they have many key injuries, too. Today's game and the Braves series offer the possibility of moving closer to .500 without our DL-d position players. Then we have the Orioles, Brewers and Rangers.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#100 » by Schad » Sun May 14, 2017 2:18 pm

Chasing a fellow AL East team for the Wild Card down the stretch is a very uncomfortable position, as we saw last year. Both ourselves and Baltimore did sneak in, after getting reeled back in by the other contenders, because the final two months are heavily skewed toward divisional clashes and we happen to be in what is setting up to be the toughest division in baseball (as usual).

Our stretch run is: Boston (x9), Baltimore (x7), New York (x6), Minnesota (x4), Detroit (x3), Kansas City (x3). Won't really want to hit that in the thick of a pack. If we're merely around .500 when the deadline approaches, I wouldn't exactly count on us muscling our way in.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays