ST: Jays (37-44) at Yankees (43-37) - July 3-5

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: ST: Jays (37-44) at Yankees (43-37) - July 3-5 

Post#41 » by Schad » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:26 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:So Gibby pinch hits Martin now in a 3-run game, but not earlier in a 1-run game. What a terrible manager.

Martin's ancient; we already have to spell him more often than most teams do with their catchers, and PH him earlier would have meant that he'd need to catch a few innings. As it stands, he has only started behind the plate in 46 of the 70 games we've played when he wasn't on the DL, and that's not Gibby having any desire to start Maile.

Having Montero may mitigate that a bit, but I'm really hoping that there's a deal out there for Martin, because he'll play less and less behind the plate over the next couple years.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#42 » by JaysRule15 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:31 am

Well, at least I got to see Chapman pitch.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#43 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:40 am

Schad wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:So Gibby pinch hits Martin now in a 3-run game, but not earlier in a 1-run game. What a terrible manager.

Martin's ancient; we already have to spell him more often than most teams do with their catchers, and PH him earlier would have meant that he'd need to catch a few innings. As it stands, he has only started behind the plate in 46 of the 70 games we've played when he wasn't on the DL, and that's not Gibby having any desire to start Maile.

Having Montero may mitigate that a bit, but I'm really hoping that there's a deal out there for Martin, because he'll play less and less behind the plate over the next couple years.

If we were at all serious about winning this game, Martin could have easily caught a few innings. Martin's 34 - old, but not ancient.
And he appeared in 137 games last year.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#44 » by Schad » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:43 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:If we were at all serious about winning this game, Martin could have easily caught a few innings. Martin's 34 - old, but not ancient.

34 years old is ancient for a catcher. There are only two catchers in all of baseball who are 34 or older who have started more than half their team's games at the position: Martin and Yadier Molina.

For what it's worth, the most appearances by a 35+ year old catcher this season? Carlos Ruiz, who has started 23 games.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#45 » by JaysRule15 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:46 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:
Schad wrote:

If we were at all serious about winning this game, Martin could have easily caught a few innings. Martin's 34 - old, but not ancient.

If we're trying to move Martin (and I hope we are), I would rest him as much as possible so he doesn't hurt anything these next few weeks. Like you said, I'm sure Gibby would've brought Martin in had we been all serious about winning this game. Pretty sure mgmt is low-key decided to pull the plug and have told Gibby not to overtax veterans so they stay healthy and be ready to be traded.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#46 » by zilby » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:54 am

Can't lie, I could not bring myself to watch this game, or any of the series on the weekend.

I'm just glad Betances pitched a relatively clean inning. He's in my keeper league, I lost 3 of 14 categories (WHIP, BB, ERA) last week solely because he had one absolute dumpster fire of an outing. Still has a long way to go for me to forgive him.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#47 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:38 am

Schad wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:If we were at all serious about winning this game, Martin could have easily caught a few innings. Martin's 34 - old, but not ancient.

34 years old is ancient for a catcher. There are only two catchers in all of baseball who are 34 or older who have started more than half their team's games at the position: Martin and Yadier Molina.

For what it's worth, the most appearances by a 35+ year old catcher this season? Carlos Ruiz, who has started 23 games.

Totally right. Another brutal signing from the beginning.

But the Jay's PR machine was out in full force in those first couple of days, telling stories about his physical youthfulness and tai chi regimens. Body -issue love... How he wasn't a normal 30+ year old catcher.... so short-sighted a couple years back. Fantasyland. Dickey, Tulo, Martin, blech.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#48 » by vaff87 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:41 am

SharoneWright wrote:
Schad wrote:

But the Jay's PR machine was out in full force in those first couple of days, telling stories about his physical youthfulness and tai chi regimens. Body -issue love... How he wasn't a normal 30+ year old catcher.... so short sightedness a couple years back. Fantasyland. Dickey, Tulo, Martin, blech.

He helped us get to the playoffs twice. :crazy:
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#49 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:44 am

vaff87 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
Schad wrote:

But the Jay's PR machine was out in full force in those first couple of days, telling stories about his physical youthfulness and tai chi regimens. Body -issue love... How he wasn't a normal 30+ year old catcher.... so short sightedness a couple years back. Fantasyland. Dickey, Tulo, Martin, blech.

So could have someone else. Nothing is written.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#50 » by vaff87 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:49 am

SharoneWright wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

He's been to the playoffs 8 of the last 9 years(on four different teams) and was coming off two terrific years in Pittsburgh where he was one of the best players in baseball.
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#51 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jul 4, 2017 3:56 am

vaff87 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

He's been to the playoffs 8 of the last 9 years(on four different teams) and was coming off two terrific years in Pittsburgh where he was one of the best players in baseball.

And he plays a mean sax!!! :wink:

I don't expect we'll agree here, but I don't think he's provided value commensurate with his contract and certainly won't going forward,,, no matter what his teammates did to get to the playoffs and not ultimately win.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#52 » by polo007 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 4:08 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Raps_Swingman
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#53 » by Raps_Swingman » Tue Jul 4, 2017 11:47 am

Well everyone pointed to this part of the schedule(minus Wilner) as an indication of how the rest of the season will probably go. I think we got our answer, time to start moving some pieces and letting some younger guys play.
That's what she said.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#54 » by fouronesix22 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:07 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/report-jays-ready-to-sell-teams-scouting-stroman-1.795968

Jays looking to sell. Teams scouting Stroman. Dont know if this is 100% but here we go. End of an era :(
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#55 » by johanliebert » Tue Jul 4, 2017 1:47 pm

polo007 wrote:Image
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Balls sure are flying out the park at a historic rate...they change the seams?
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#56 » by The_Hater » Tue Jul 4, 2017 2:08 pm

Gibby isn't the reason we're struggling this season. He didn't put Maile on the roster. He's not swinging the bats or throwing the ball. This simply isn't a very good team.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#57 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Jul 4, 2017 4:58 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Gibby isn't the reason we're struggling this season. He didn't put Maile on the roster. He's not swinging the bats or throwing the ball. This simply isn't a very good team.

Not saying Gibby is the reason we're struggling (though I've never thought he's a good manager). But in this instance, if he was serious about winning the game, there was no good reason to keep Martin on the bench in the 7th in a one run game. Particular with a much better backup on the way that could play today and tomorrow if need be.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#58 » by The_Hater » Tue Jul 4, 2017 5:07 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Not saying Gibby is the reason we're struggling (though I've never thought he's a good manager). But in this instance, if he was serious about winning the game, there was no good reason to keep Martin on the bench in the 7th in a one run game. Particular with a much better backup on the way that could play today and tomorrow if need be.

I think baseball managers do very little in general. Gibby manages his pitching staff well, might rest his lineup players a little too often but thinks long term on that. He would never leave Zach Britton on the bench in a tie game with the season in the line but it's so easy to second guess coaches in general when decisions don't work out. Gibby is average.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#59 » by johanliebert » Tue Jul 4, 2017 5:35 pm

Tulo timing is way off at the plate he gotta change that swing
vaff87
RealGM

Post#60 » by vaff87 » Tue Jul 4, 2017 5:47 pm

I read this morning that Dan Shulman is quitting Sunday Night Baseball after this year, to have a better "work life balance" and spend more time with his family in Toronto. More Jays games?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays