ImageImageImageImageImage

Yankees' Refsnyder for Jays' McBroom

Moderator: JaysRule15

North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Yankees' Refsnyder for Jays' McBroom 

Post#1 » by North_of_Border » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:14 am

25 year old 1st Base prospect Ryan McBroom has been dealt to the Yankees for 26 year old INF/OF Rob Refsnyder.

McBroom is a late bloomer having a big year. Refsnyder was formerly the Yankees future 2nd base man, but now is more of a utility guy.

Not a huge move by either team. But both are looking to find lightning in a bottle. Yankees get more potential to play with, while the Jays get a guy who will at the very least be a role player.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: Yankees' Refsnyder for Jays' McBroom 

Post#2 » by Schad » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:24 am

McBroom has been pretty bad this season, actually. And Refsnyder is a bat-first player who is best-suited to a corner OF spot, because he's quite bad defensively in the infield, and he has no power.

In all likelihood, neither are above-replacement-level at any point. Refsnyder probably gets DFA'd when some hard-throwing reliever with no control hits the waiver wire this winter, and McBroom probably never reaches the majors.
**** your asterisk.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#3 » by johanliebert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:44 am

Schad wrote:McBroom has been pretty bad this season, actually. And Refsnyder is a bat-first player who is best-suited to a corner OF spot, because he's quite bad defensively in the infield, and he has no power.

In all likelihood, neither are above-replacement-level at any point. Refsnyder probably gets DFA'd when some hard-throwing reliever with no control hits the waiver wire this winter, and McBroom probably never reaches the majors.

Are they going to give him an opportunity to play 2nd base here tho? I thought the move was a band aid solution to that hole in the lineup
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,132

Post#4 » by duppyy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:03 pm

Both guys last names sound like random generated names in 2k.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#5 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:15 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Schad wrote:McBroom has been pretty bad this season, actually. And Refsnyder is a bat-first player who is best-suited to a corner OF spot, because he's quite bad defensively in the infield, and he has no power.

Are they going to give him an opportunity to play 2nd base here tho? I thought the move was a band aid solution to that hole in the lineup

Yeah that's my read of it, too. I'd guess he's the full-time 2B man for the rest of the year, or at least until Travis comes back.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Schad » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:35 pm

He might be given that chance. Really cannot emphasize enough that he doesn't play major league quality second base, though.
**** your asterisk.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#7 » by johanliebert » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:47 pm

Schad wrote:He might be given that chance. Really cannot emphasize enough that he doesn't play major league quality second base, though.

Neither did Travis. Anything to get goinsut the line up
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Schad » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:05 pm

johanliebert wrote:
Schad wrote:He might be given that chance. Really cannot emphasize enough that he doesn't play major league quality second base, though.

Neither did Travis. Anything to get goinsut the line up

Travis is at worst a league-average defender at 2B, and has generally graded out slightly above average.

Refsnyder...maybe I've been a bit too oblique in my language. He is generally considered to a terrible defensive second baseman who is really a corner OF in skillset who has been playing 2B for the simple reason that his bat likely doesn't play anywhere else.
**** your asterisk.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#9 » by SharoneWright » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:11 pm

So what you are really trying to say is that he has untapped potential. A diamond in the rough, if I'm reading you. An intriguing plug-and-play option up the middle.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays