zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: Toronto Bargain Warehouse @ Chicago Veteran Emporium, Jul 31 - Aug 2 

Post#61 » by zilby » Thu Aug 3, 2017 2:52 pm

johanliebert wrote:
zilby wrote:
Natural11 wrote:
The fault was more on the umpire anyway. A hitter can call time when the ball is in the air if he wants to. It's up to the umpire whether he grants it.

I don't have a problem with some of Stroman's antics, but what bothers me is the double-standard. I doubt it would take long for trouble to brew if guys were hitting homeruns off Stroman, pumping their fists and shouting "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!" while sputtering on and starting their trot.

Stanton got a little payback on Grilli recently and I don't think it escalated any further, but something tells me that's the exception rather than the rule. Hitters that showboat get beaned. Pitchers get a free pass.

Totally agree on the pitchers getting a pass. Celebrations should be allowed for both hitters and pitchers, baseball is a sport and it should be competitive and fun. An injection of personality into the sport isn't a bad thing at all, all the old heads seem to disagree. The Giancarlo Stanton thing was hilarious and I laughed when I saw it. Celebrations are fine, retaliatory beanings should never be okay regardless of the situation, and I have no clue why umps don't enforce that more. If you're good, you should have fun with what you do. It's the same crap that landed Bautista in hot water over the bat flip.

What was the reaction on the bat flip and stare down vs o'day? That was much worse than what we saw vs Texas.

I know, but that playoff game was watched by far more people in Northbound america than anything else, so more people became aware of that situation than the few who paid attention pre-Anthopoulos pick purge.

From the Orioles thing, it's basically that they hate Bautista because they think he's disrespectful and bush league, and since that they always pitch him inside or chirp him. Nobody else really cares, Canada journalism personified him as a hero getting revenge on O'Day and the Orioles from that.
Hawaiian pizza is good.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays