Post#1 » by BramptonYute » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:11 pm

archer vs rowley
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

ST: Toronto Blue Jays @ Montreal Rays: Return of the Tank 

Post#2 » by JaysRule15 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 pm

After the last two weeks of false hopes, we now find ourselves back in no man's land. It's time to stop chasing fool's gold and embrace the tank once and for all.

Tropicana Field and facing Archer should provide enough of a losing factor, but in case they don't, I hereby invoke the Salmons Curse.

My apologies to those of you who had faint hopes of contention, but this is the end.

BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Re: ST: Toronto Blue Jays @ Montreal Rays: Return of the Tank 

Post#3 » by BramptonYute » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:42 pm

rowley is trash
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Re: blue jays @ bay rays 

Post#4 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Well, hopefully this means we can at least see some younger players get real playing time in September.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
ā€œWe could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ā€˜A couple more minutes.ā€™ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#5 » by Schad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 am

Holy **** I successfully merged two threads.
**** your asterisk.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: ST: Toronto Blue Jays @ Montreal Rays: Return of the Tank 

Post#6 » by zilby » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:25 am

JaysRule15 wrote:After the last two weeks of false hopes, we now find ourselves back in no man's land. It's time to stop chasing fool's gold and embrace the tank once and for all.

Tropicana Field and facing Archer should provide enough of a losing factor, but in case they don't, I hereby invoke the Salmons Curse.

My apologies to those of you who had faint hopes of contention, but this is the end.

This is the most beautifully painful thing I've ever seen. If we die, we do it with grace and panache.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,501
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#7 » by SharoneWright » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 am

TAbby's "insight" remains second to noneā€¦
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,629

Post#8 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:38 am

Ryan Goins should be batting clean up.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#9 » by johanliebert » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:16 am

It was only a matter of time for rowley. I'd keep taepesh in the rotation between the 2.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#10 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 am

johanliebert wrote:It was only a matter of time for rowley. I'd keep taepesh in the rotation between the 2.

Little quick on the trigger there, aren't we? After three starts?
ā€œWe could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ā€˜A couple more minutes.ā€™ Because we were really into it."
ldnk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,522

Post#11 » by ldnk » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:42 am

What did Pillar do to get thrown out by the ump?
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#12 » by fouronesix22 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:15 am

Forget september callups... Turn that into August callups please. Let the young guys play!
johanliebert
General Manager

Post#13 » by johanliebert » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:24 am

fouronesix22 wrote:Forget september callups... Turn that into August callups please. Let the young guys play!

Can they contribute? The majors isn't a place to develop
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#14 » by JaysRule15 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:16 am

johanliebert wrote:
fouronesix22 wrote:Forget september callups... Turn that into August callups please. Let the young guys play!

Can they contribute? The majors isn't a place to develop

Agreed, prospects shouldn't be rushed up here. Let them finish out their minor league seasons early September, then call up a few of them who have a shot of making the team out of spring training next season and give them an audition.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#15 » by Natural11 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:47 pm

SharoneWright wrote:TAbby's "insight" remains second to noneā€¦

Pat "Master of Excuses" Tabler. The Jays commentary team will come up with anything to excuse poor play. People give the Raptors broadcasters some flack, and no doubt some of it is deserved, but to some degree they call it like they see it.

We won't hear so much as a peep from the Jays team about multiple batters hitting under .200 w/RISP, but we'll hear plenty about tricky hops, bright lights, prevailing winds, and those gosh darn shadows wreaking havoc.

I want to look at the bright side and consider some young prospects getting significant playing time in September, but the reality is we could be 10 games out and they'll still be putting up the wild card standings before every game and trotting Jose out there to see if he can finish the season over the Mendoza line. Gotta keep hope alive to get those seats filled.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM

Post#16 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:00 pm

Francisco Liriano's line with Houston so far: 6.1 IP, 6H, 6 BB, 2 K

I'm still surprised we got anything for him at all, let alone a solid if unspectacular prospect like Hernandez. Speaking of Hernandez, in a limited MLB sample of 112 PA to-date, he has a higher OPS than two of our full-time outfielders. Hernandez at .724, Bautista at .708, and Pillar at .703. You would hope that Hernandez' numbers get better with more MLB playing time.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,216

Post#17 » by LLJ » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Francisco Liriano's line with Houston so far: 6.1 IP, 6H, 6 BB, 2 K

I'm still surprised we got anything for him at all, let alone a solid if unspectacular prospect like Hernandez. Speaking of Hernandez, in a limited MLB sample of 112 PA to-date, he has a higher OPS than two of our full-time outfielders. Hernandez at .724, Bautista at .708, and Pillar at .703. You would hope that Hernandez' numbers get better with more MLB playing time.

Liriano was a good investment. Pittsburgh gave us stuff to get rid of him, and we got a good half season out of him. Then we got some stuff again for giving him to Houston.
johanliebert
General Manager

Post#18 » by johanliebert » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Natural11 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:TAbby's "insight" remains second to noneā€¦

Pat "Master of Excuses" Tabler. The Jays commentary team will come up with anything to excuse poor play. People give the Raptors broadcasters some flack, and no doubt some of it is deserved, but to some degree they call it like they see it.

We won't hear so much as a peep from the Jays team about multiple batters hitting under .200 w/RISP, but we'll hear plenty about tricky hops, bright lights, prevailing winds, and those gosh darn shadows wreaking havoc.

I want to look at the bright side and consider some young prospects getting significant playing time in September, but the reality is we could be 10 games out and they'll still be putting up the wild card standings before every game and trotting Jose out there to see if he can finish the season over the Mendoza line. Gotta keep hope alive to get those seats filled.

Just because they are younger doesn't mean theylol hit. Then what? You'll use that excuse of experience?

Tabler is an employee of the team leave it to radio guys.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#19 » by Tanner » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:22 pm

LLJ wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:Francisco Liriano's line with Houston so far: 6.1 IP, 6H, 6 BB, 2 K

Liriano was a good investment. Pittsburgh gave us stuff to get rid of him, and we got a good half season out of him. Then we got some stuff again for giving him to Houston.

Yeah Jays got a 1.5 war out of him in 2 half seasons (plus he helped us get to the playoffs in '16), plus two prospects, one of which might be turning into something (McGuire). Then they were able to flip him for another prospect. Sure it took flexing some financial muscle to get those prospects but overall still a pretty solid set of moves even if the prospects don't pan out.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#20 » by flatjacket1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:08 pm

johanliebert wrote:It was only a matter of time for rowley. I'd keep taepesh in the rotation between the 2.

He's a great arm against RHB. Really doesn't have a way to get lefties out. FB/CH/SL with only plus pitch really being slider is a tough sell. His FB isn't fast or strong enough where if he misses he won't be punished, and SL against LHB isn't a good idea so they can pretty much eliminate that.

If he threw his FB 2 MPH harder with a little more movement I bet he'd be fine. It will be interesting though because his story seems to be he picked up a baseball a year or so ago after coming out of the military (not throwing for 2 years straight) and just started throwing. Seems like a prime candidate for a velo jump come March.

Either way we really have 3 starters next year so we need to take a look at everybody.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick

Return to Toronto Blue Jays