ImageImageImageImageImage

If Donaldson is signed in offseason, at what price?

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Re: If Donaldson is signed in offseason, at what price? 

Post#41 » by Schad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:19 pm

dagger wrote:
Sportsnet running an item that the Cardinals are going to go hard after the Jays for a Donaldson trade. Interestingly, the Cards have several good prospects - and some interesting pitching prospects among them.

And Flaherty, the 47th-ranked prospect in baseball on MLBPipeline, is likely 2018-ready. Has the stuff, has the polish. Tyler O'Neill is also a probable graduate in corner OF, and would add CanCon as a BC kid.

If we want to claim that we were being competitive in 2018, getting a kid with a good chance to slot into the rotation ASAP would help. Still don't expect us to do it though, because Flaherty won't sell jerseys.
**** your asterisk.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#42 » by Skin Blues » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:35 pm

Donaldson for Weaver would be just fine with me. Two more years of pre-arb and controlled through 2022. Doubt the Cards would go for that but he's about as sure a thing as you're going to get from a pitcher with 5 years of team control remaining.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#43 » by The_Hater » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:10 pm

Schad wrote:
dagger wrote:
Sportsnet running an item that the Cardinals are going to go hard after the Jays for a Donaldson trade. Interestingly, the Cards have several good prospects - and some interesting pitching prospects among them.

And Flaherty, the 47th-ranked prospect in baseball on MLBPipeline, is likely 2018-ready. Has the stuff, has the polish. Tyler O'Neill is also a probable graduate in corner OF, and would add CanCon as a BC kid.

If we want to claim that we were being competitive in 2018, getting a kid with a good chance to slot into the rotation ASAP would help. Still don't expect us to do it though, because Flaherty won't sell jerseys.

Yup. If they want to sell to the fans that they're trying to win in 2018, trading JD isn't the solution. That would be a marketing and box office disaster. And since they've already made it perfectly clear the the goal in 2018 is the win, JD can't be traded until July at the earliest.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#44 » by Tanner » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:38 pm

If they can get a haul for JD, then go for it.

I said at the deadline it was the wrong time to trade him, and what he's done since has just confirmed that. Now would be a good time, and the Cardinals have some good prospects.

Rogers wants to the team to remain competitive, and they have a one year window to possibly sneak into a wild card spot in '18, so I'm not expecting anything. But it definitely looks like they can get a haul for him now, as opposed to when he looked awful (by his standards) at the deadline.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#45 » by flatjacket1 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 pm

Schad wrote:
dagger wrote:

I really doubt selling jerseys is a priority. Jersey and hat sales are pooled and split among the MLB teams (as they are technically trademarks of the MLB). Also a good portion of that revenue comes from licensing agreements. More sales will eventually push those agreements values up, but the immediate affect would be third parties like "Fanatics" making additionally money and the MLB will get a piece when the agreement is reviewed and renewed.

Winning is really the sole provider of value, not just in the form of playoff shares but more ratings and brand image. Increase gate revenue isn't really all the great anyways, the Jays gate receipts are usually in the 60-80M range which is peanuts in comparison other sources.

I would be willing to move Donaldson for Flaherty, but the other pieces would be ML type pieces (bullpen). In my humble opinion if we added one top prospect, a solid 3.75-4.25 ERA innings eater and a solid bullpen piece we might actually have a better chance to win in 2018. Our issue right now is our #5 next year isn't exactly giving us a fair shake.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#46 » by Schad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 pm

Mostly "selling jerseys" was simply shorthand for "make Rogers money", because I sometimes have to mix my verbiage up a little.

Regarding the relationship between revenues and winning: yes and no. As we've seen this year, the suggestion that you might win is also pretty good for revenue. Until fans wise up, and then you're hosed.
**** your asterisk.
Jozay
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#47 » by Jozay » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:58 pm

I feel like 5 x 150 is the type of number needed for him to not test free agency.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#48 » by Skin Blues » Sun Oct 1, 2017 10:15 pm

Jozay wrote:I feel like 5 x 150 is the type of number needed for him to not test free agency.

I don't think that keeps him here. Somebody will offer a lot more.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays