ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays @ NY Yankees - Joey Bats' Final Flippin' Stand

Moderator: JaysRule15

C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Re: NY Yankees v Your Blue Jays - Jose's Final Home Stand 

Post#41 » by C Court » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Not pitching to him. A walk for Jose. I want story book!
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
C Court
RealGM

Post#42 » by C Court » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Another hit and a RBI for Jose. Nice!
C Court
RealGM

Post#43 » by C Court » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Damn. Caught at the plate. Let's have a look.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#44 » by Lateral Quicks » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Teoscar has legit pop in his bat. If he can show some plate discipline we have our right fielder for many years.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#45 » by Schad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:43 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Teoscar has legit pop in his bat. If he can show some plate discipline we have our right fielder for many years.

He'll need to show far more plate discipline, yeah. Right now, like a lot of rookies, he's seeing a high percentage of fastballs...he's still managing to swing through pitches at an alarming rate, and chasing out of the zone far more than he should. Unless he dials those back, they'll be fatal flaws no matter his power, because he'll get junkballed to death.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#46 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Aaron Judge looks like he's signing adoption papers to be our father for the next 10 years.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Schad » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:02 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:Aaron Judge looks like he's signing adoption papers to be our father for the next 10 years.

He's now hitting .375/.493/.912 with 9 HRs against us. Still, at least we aren't the Orioles: .426/.588/1.049 with 11 HRs in 85 PAs.
**** your asterisk.
TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,342

Post#48 » by TOStateofMind » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks Joey bats. Your name will be up there with the blue jay greats.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:55 pm

As someone who only started following this team from 2002-2003 onwards, Bautista is the best hitter I've ever seen on this team and my favorite player after Doc. He's delivered so many memorable moments that I'll always remember. Watching him and EE hit back to back in the lineup for so many years was definitely a treat. Hopefully both those guys end up on the Level of Excellence someday.
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#50 » by fouronesix22 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:00 pm

Read on Twitter

:cry: Was a sad day for sure. Almost shed a tear. Thanks for the great memories!
fouronesix22
Veteran
And1: 3,548

Post#51 » by fouronesix22 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Read on Twitter

Im not crying... someone was cutting onions beside me
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#52 » by zilby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:16 pm

I wonder if Bautista is gonna play this week. After his good day today and the emotions and the swan song stuff, I wouldn't be opposed at all if that was his last game and he rests up, also staying above the Mendoza line.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#53 » by JaysRule15 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:17 pm

It's really too bad that Jose's pride won't let him do it, but I'd be down to bring him back in a bench capacity next season if no other team out there is willing to give him a starting role this offseason.
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#54 » by Natural11 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:59 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:It's really too bad that Jose's pride won't let him do it, but I'd be down to bring him back in a bench capacity next season if no other team out there is willing to give him a starting role this offseason.

I don't really want to bash the guy today of all days, but he hit over .200 only one month this year and at 37 it's unlikely this was an anomaly. Aside from a little flash in May, he just hasn't looked at all like the Jose of 2015 and prior.

You really need some versatility from your bench guys. The only scenario that may make sense is if you move Morales in the off-season and Jose wants to come back at a vet minimum as a part time DH that maybe spots an occasional start in RF. Even that is sentimental thinking.

The right move for winning is to let him go. It will suck to see him in another uniform, but we'll get used to it like we have for every other Jay who moved on. Best to just enjoy the memories and let him go.
C Court
RealGM

Post#55 » by C Court » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:06 pm

As someone who watched the Jays first game (as a diehard Expos fan), I can say that Jose is one of the best players to play north of the border.

Is he top ten? You could make that argument and not be wrong. I don't ever tire of the bat flip home run ........

Read on Twitter
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#56 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 am

JaysRule15 wrote:It's really too bad that Jose's pride won't let him do it, but I'd be down to bring him back in a bench capacity next season if no other team out there is willing to give him a starting role this offseason.

He's a poor fit for the bench. On a three man bench, you need at least one backup infielder/utility guy, a fourth outfielder, and a backup catcher. Bautista doesn't fit any of those roles. Some teams elect to go with a four man bench instead of an eight man bullpen, and I suppose you could carry Bautista there. However, much better ways to use that roster spot.

This is definitely the end of Bautista in a Blue Jays uniform, and may be the end of his big league career. Some team will probably take a flyer on him in the hopes that this year was a fluke, and it may even be the Blue Jays. But without a strong spring he'll be in tough to be on a roster come opening day.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,627

Post#57 » by Fairview4Life » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:33 am

If Dioner Navarro and Ben Revere weren't absolutely **** by that ump in KC, we'd still be talking about Jose's 2 homeruns in game 6 on the way to win the WS like we do Alomar's homer in Oakland.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Schad » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:40 am

Lateral Quicks wrote:

He's a poor fit for the bench. On a three man bench, you need at least one backup infielder/utility guy, a fourth outfielder, and a backup catcher. Bautista doesn't fit any of those roles. Some teams elect to go with a four man bench instead of an eight man bullpen, and I suppose you could carry Bautista there. However, much better ways to use that roster spot.

This is definitely the end of Bautista in a Blue Jays uniform, and may be the end of his big league career. Some team will probably take a flyer on him in the hopes that this year was a fluke, and it may even be the Blue Jays. But without a strong spring he'll be in tough to be on a roster come opening day.

And keeping him as a poor-hitting bench corner OF means that, in any sort of roster crunch, we'd have to look long and hard at DFA'ing him. I really, really do not want his tenure to end that way.

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping he retires rather than hoping to catch on as a minor league FA with an invite, which is likely what he's looking at. Sucks to see him go out this way, but he's done.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#59 » by JaysRule15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am

Fairview4Life wrote:If Dioner Navarro and Ben Revere weren't absolutely **** by that ump in KC, we'd still be talking about Jose's 2 homeruns in game 6 on the way to win the WS like we do Alomar's homer in Oakland.

That strike 2 call on Revere was so ridiculous. Wouldn't be surprised if that ump was on the take.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by JaysRule15 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 am

Schad wrote:
Lateral Quicks wrote:

And keeping him as a poor-hitting bench corner OF means that, in any sort of roster crunch, we'd have to look long and hard at DFA'ing him. I really, really do not want his tenure to end that way.

Honestly, I'm kinda hoping he retires rather than hoping to catch on as a minor league FA with an invite, which is likely what he's looking at. Sucks to see him go out this way, but he's done.

Yeah, would be nice to bring him from a sentimental point of view, but I guess it's not practical. Still, if he's not getting a contract from anywhere else and willing to come back for a minimum, I'd be hard-pressed to say no. If he comes and sucks next year, you can either cut him or convince him to retire mid-season.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays