ImageImageImageImageImage

Bring back David Price?

Moderator: JaysRule15

North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Bring back David Price? 

Post#1 » by North_of_Border » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Just read, Boston is looking to put David Price into the bullpen.

He has been a huge bust in Boston, but has a track record of dominance. Most Red Sox fans are banking that he will opt out and leave. But that's not realistic. Price signed one of the richest pitcher contracts in history. He is not walking away from that, because unless he really rebounds, no one is gonna give him that now.

He really enjoyed Toronto and I trust when he said he wanted to stay. The finances just were not available.

Could this be a salary dump situation ?

Imagine if Jays could get Price with Boston eating a huge chunk of salary. We just signed Estrada for 13 million, banking on a rebound. Can we not do that for Price, at say 13-15 million range?... the years are a risk, could become an unmovable contract, true. But it's a Huge Upside gamble. Would have a top 5 pitcher in Baseball on a bargain deal.

No?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: Bring back David Price? 

Post#2 » by Schad » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Price is owed $157m over 5 years, covering ages 32 through 36. Think about it this way: Price's deal was massive enough initially to concern Red Sox fans, and that was when he was two years younger and wasn't coming off of two seasons below his career norms in FIP and SIERA. That deal isn't getting any better, and I am 100% happy to see Boston paying that money.
**** your asterisk.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Bring back David Price? 

Post#3 » by North_of_Border » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Schad wrote:Price is owed $157m over 5 years, covering ages 32 through 36. Think about it this way: Price's deal was massive enough initially to concern Red Sox fans, and that was when he was two years younger and wasn't coming off of two seasons below his career norms in FIP and SIERA. That deal isn't getting any better, and I am 100% happy to see Boston paying that money.

So if the Jays could get him at 14 million per season and only 3 years remaining. Why not?

Maybe even get a prospect or two out of Boston.

If Price can even improve just little and become an average pitcher, then 14 million is very movable, if the Jays wanted to move on.

Boston would still be the loser. Paying many many millions for Price to pitch for someone else.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Schad » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:13 pm

North_of_Border wrote:So if the Jays could get him at 14 million per season and only 3 years remaining. Why not?

How exactly would we get him for only $14m a year for three years? He has an opt-out that he won't exercise, meaning that he has a contract through 2022.

Unless you're suggesting that the Red Sox will eat more than $100m to give him away, which they will not.
**** your asterisk.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by North_of_Border » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Schad wrote:
North_of_Border wrote:So if the Jays could get him at 14 million per season and only 3 years remaining. Why not?

How exactly would we get him for only $14m a year for three years? He has an opt-out that he won't exercise, meaning that he has a contract through 2022.

Unless you're suggesting that the Red Sox will eat more than $100m to give him away, which they will not.

I know it sounds absurd, but look at Panda. Boston would have gladly payed even 95% of his contract if some was willing to take him. Obviously there were no takers and Boston dumped him anyway, while paying All his salary too.

If Price is in the bullpen and Boston thinks he is not a starter now. Who will take him?.... no one. Basically this has all the ingredients of a Sandoval situation.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#6 » by Lateral Quicks » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Fat Panda, Ramirez, now Price... Boston overpaying vets never gets old. But yes, I wouldn't hesitate in bringing him back if Boston was eating major salary. Problem is, they won't. I can't see them moving him to the bullpen either - he's still pretty good. Unless his arm can't handle the workload of a starter anymore.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Bring back David Price? 

Post#7 » by North_of_Border » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Fat Panda, Ramirez, now Price... Boston overpaying vets never gets old. But yes, I wouldn't hesitate in bringing him back if Boston was eating major salary. Problem is, they won't. I can't see them moving him to the bullpen either - he's still pretty good. Unless his arm can't handle the workload of a starter anymore.

Not only is Price not living up to the contract, but he also has off field issues in Boston. He was never a bad character guy all his career. But they are painting him as a club house cancer in Boston. He is always losing his temper at the media and looking unhappy in the dugout.

They regret that deal now. Both sides.No questions about it. And both sides find it hard to just end. For their own reasons. And if it reaches the Panda stage, they will dump him. The price-tag will be dependant on the number of takers.

Jays should be all over this
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Schad » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:13 am

North_of_Border wrote:I know it sounds absurd, but look at Panda. Boston would have gladly payed even 95% of his contract if some was willing to take him. Obviously there were no takers and Boston dumped him anyway, while paying All his salary too.

If Price is in the bullpen and Boston thinks he is not a starter now. Who will take him?.... no one. Basically this has all the ingredients of a Sandoval situation.

Not even remotely close to the Sandoval situation. Price is in the 'pen because they cannot get him back up to speed in two weeks (it's too late in the year for minor league rehab to be an option) and thus won't risk starting him in the playoffs. He'll start next year without question.

Sandoval, meanwhile, was absolutely done as a major leaguer, and everyone knew it; he was the worst player in baseball from 2015-2017, no one was ever going to take one red cent of his contract, and he was a waste of a roster spot.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#9 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:58 am

I still think Price ends up having TJ surgery at some point next season, if not sometime this offseason.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#10 » by flatjacket1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:41 pm

North_of_Border wrote:I know it sounds absurd, but look at Panda. Boston would have gladly payed even 95% of his contract if some was willing to take him. Obviously there were no takers and Boston dumped him anyway, while paying All his salary too.

Buyouts tend to be more beneficial than retaining 95% of the salary. If you really want the roster spot you can work in deferrals or even just less than is owed. The quality of life for MLB players who are no longer playing regular time isn't really that great. Imagine flying around all year away from your family, Leaving the teams hotel at 12PM to get to the field for a 7PM game. Sure its fine when you are playing or are young (the fame, nostalgic feels) but these guys have been there done that. You really don't have too much of a life in season. Sure they make bank but you are already rich, it's very different from that perspective.

Also there is still a chance he returns to 2010-2015 type levels for a year or two. However small it may be it is not impossible, and some of those years were worth 50-70M in fWAR.

If they truly don't think he will ever get decent they will buy him out, and if they do think he has a chance they will keep him. Makes no sense from their point of view to move him.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:34 pm

Good god no. The Jays dodged such a bullet when he left.

Even if the Sox picked up a chunk of his salary, he's a declining investment. He's a big name only. There are lots of other decent pitchers out there.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays