Farrell gone!

Moderator: JaysRule15

Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Farrell gone! 

Post#1 » by Chevy Chase » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:30 pm

https://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/47942/Red-Sox-Fire-John-Farrell

While part of me is happy that this turncoat is out of work, he did bring them more success than we've had over that time. So with that being said why is Gibby still employed?
Chevy Chase
Sixth Man
And1: 820

Re: Farrell gone! 

Post#2 » by Chevy Chase » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Sorry Mods, posted in wrong forum. Please move. Thx.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#3 » by dagger » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:55 pm

Boston media uncharacteristically goes after a player who remains while not scapegoating the individual who is leaving.

David Price - the locker room cancer?

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/tomase-red-sox-manager-john-farrell-sacrificed-because-david-price-was-terrible?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#4 » by Skin Blues » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 pm

SUCK-IT FAR-RELL
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,461
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#5 » by SharoneWright » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:33 pm

The dream is gone.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,049

Post#6 » by Schad » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm

dagger wrote:Boston media uncharacteristically goes after a player who remains while not scapegoating the individual who is leaving.

http://www.weei.com/articles/column/tomase-red-sox-manager-john-farrell-sacrificed-because-david-price-was-terrible?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

In fairness to Price, Tomase is a dingbat.
**** your asterisk.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#7 » by Wally West » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Schad wrote:
dagger wrote:Boston media uncharacteristically goes after a player who remains while not scapegoating the individual who is leaving.

In fairness to Price, Tomase is a dingbat.

:rofl:
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#8 » by vaff87 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:18 am

Hopefully they bring back Bobby Valentine, I thought he did a real solid job with them the first time around. :wink:

Also, it seems like this writer is just whiny because David Price doesn't like the media.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,359

Post#9 » by Lateral Quicks » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:14 pm

From wiretap:

Dave Dombrowski wouldn't reveal the exact reason why Farrell wasn't brought back for the final year of his contract, but he did say that no level of team success would have prevented the move.

So even if they'd won the World Series he wouldn't have been brought back? I guess they thought he had something to do with the Killer Bs turning into merely the Above Average Bs this year.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#10 » by flatjacket1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:09 pm

Boston had a solid roster this year, and Farrell managed it terribly.

Some of the lineup decisions were awful, platoon decisions were worse and pitching changes seemed more like he was rolling dice. Bringing arms out of the game early to use a long relief type arm in 2 run games in the 6th inning was really the most identifying thing of the Red Sox's season. I follow the Red Soxs a bit (as well as the Cubs and Arizona) and really I feel bad for their fans. Despite some obvious struggles of the players (Price) they really didn't deserve the year they had.

Really no matter who they bring in, I can't imagine them being much worse than Farrell. Although Farrell seems like a stand up guy, the way he manages only adds fuel to the fire when talking about the classic "pitching coaches shouldn't be managers" debate.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#11 » by LLJ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm

flatjacket1 wrote: Although Farrell seems like a stand up guy

Whoa let's not get carried away here
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 pm

LLJ wrote:
flatjacket1 wrote: Although Farrell seems like a stand up guy

Whoa let's not get carried away here

Word from Dombrowski is that Farrell was going to be fired regardless on how well the Sox did during the playoffs. So the standup guy obviously did something aside from his job as manager to write his own pink slip.

flatjacket1 wrote:Boston had a solid roster this year, and Farrell managed it terribly.

Some of the lineup decisions were awful, platoon decisions were worse and pitching changes seemed more like he was rolling dice. Bringing arms out of the game early to use a long relief type arm in 2 run games in the 6th inning was really the most identifying thing of the Red Sox's season. I follow the Red Soxs a bit (as well as the Cubs and Arizona) and really I feel bad for their fans. Despite some obvious struggles of the players (Price) they really didn't deserve the year they had.

Really no matter who they bring in, I can't imagine them being much worse than Farrell. Although Farrell seems like a stand up guy, the way he manages only adds fuel to the fire when talking about the classic "pitching coaches shouldn't be managers" debate.

Well they won the division so I’m not sure how badly he screwed them up in the regular season but obviously it didn’t matter.

As for the playoffs, when your high priced starters can’t prevent the other team from scoring there’s only so much a manager can do. Don’t overrate the minor influence a baseball manager has on the outcome of a huge majority of the games.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#13 » by North_of_Border » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:08 pm

John Farrell left the Jays and many have sour feelings. And rightly so, as Farrell ditched his team on bad terms.

However, in his time there he had more success than the Jays could ever do and he won a World Series. The big big goal, the big trump card in conversation.

I think John Farrell is likely content with his decision, had a great time and will get a new job eventually. Plus, managers are hired to be fired at some point. So I doubt he losses any sleep over any of this.

We are the losers for feeling like we got vindicated here. Don’t fool yourself. We lost. He won.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#14 » by polo007 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:22 pm

Read on Twitter
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,974

Post#15 » by JaysRule15 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 pm

Still salty at Farrell and the Red Sox winning that 2013 World Series. They did not deserve to win that at all with their overrated team.

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really hope Gammons is joking here. Otherwise the front office really is out of touch with the fan base. Farrell is likely the most hated guy in MLB by our fanbase.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#16 » by vaff87 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:Still salty at Farrell and the Red Sox winning that 2013 World Series. They did not deserve to win that at all with their overrated team.

polo007 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really hope Gammons is joking here. Otherwise the front office really is out of touch with the fan base. Farrell is likely the most hated guy in MLB by our fanbase.

I would say Odor ... who they were also rumoured to be interested in. :-?
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#17 » by Wo1verine » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 pm

At least Odor is a solid baseball player Farrell isn't good at anything.
BrunoSkull
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,176

Post#18 » by LLJ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:03 pm

Odor and Bautista on the same team would at least have been interesting.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#19 » by Skin Blues » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:23 pm

LLJ wrote:Odor and Bautista on the same team would at least have been interesting.

Odor was actually one of the few full-time players that finished with a worse WAR than Bautista. Interesting, indeed.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#20 » by Tanner » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Gammons probably means in the front office, not as a manager. Farrell worked with Cleveland under Shapiro in the 2000's in the player development side.

Still unlikely to happen since it would be a PR mess to have Farrell back in the org in any capacity.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays