ImageImageImageImageImage

Shohei Otani joins Angels

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: Shohei Otani confirmed. Jays have chance? 

Post#41 » by Schad » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Tanner wrote:The media has reason to hype it up, yes. The media has reason to hype up anything baseball related this time of year. I just don't think the front office cares as much about perception as some seem to think they do. Certainly the last two off seasons prove that. Ohtani fits everything that Shapiro and Atkins mention when they go on the radio; getting younger, higher upside, "championship calibre players", etc. Atkins might have gotten hopes up by saying what he said, I'm not denying that, but I don't think he deliberately said it for that reason.

How do the last couple offseasons demonstrate a lack of concern for perception? We spent months talking about how much we had wanted to re-sign Encarnacion and Bautista, and continued doing so even after Edwin signed elsewhere (and I'm fine with the decision we made there). We talk continually about having to try to compete "for the fans" even as we bottomed out on the field. We are a perception-obsessed company, because as a vertically-integrated baseball/media conglomerate whose ownership is deeply concerned with profits in the here and now, perception is very important to our model.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#42 » by Tanner » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Schad wrote:
Tanner wrote:The media has reason to hype it up, yes. The media has reason to hype up anything baseball related this time of year. I just don't think the front office cares as much about perception as some seem to think they do. Certainly the last two off seasons prove that. Ohtani fits everything that Shapiro and Atkins mention when they go on the radio; getting younger, higher upside, "championship calibre players", etc. Atkins might have gotten hopes up by saying what he said, I'm not denying that, but I don't think he deliberately said it for that reason.

How do the last couple offseasons demonstrate a lack of concern for perception? We spent months talking about how much we had wanted to re-sign Encarnacion and Bautista, and continued doing so even after Edwin signed elsewhere (and I'm fine with the decision we made there). We talk continually about having to try to compete "for the fans" even as we bottomed out on the field. We are a perception-obsessed company, because as a vertically-integrated baseball/media conglomerate whose ownership is deeply concerned with profits in the here and now, perception is very important to our model.

The only part of the above that is/was done for perception is that they still want to compete, and even in that scenario they are making short-term decisions with that intention in mind (so theoretically they still could compete for a playoff spot with some good moves and luck). Other than that, it was openly stated that they didn't make an offer for David Price, that they moved on from Edwin shortly after he turned down what many interpreted as an offer they knew would get turned down (any subsequent talk about Edwin after Morales/Pearce were signed was pretty tepid), and they flat out said they were done with Bautista shortly after he was celebrated during his final home game. I mean, Shapiro and Atkins are savvy PR guys who like to use corporate speak, but they have been fairly straight forward to the fan base for the most part, especially Shapiro.

I don't doubt that part of their job is to sell interest in the brand. That's the case with every team. You want fans energized and optimistic about the team regardless of what direction they are going in. That doesn't mean that everything they say or do is for that reason. If Atkins felt the chances of signing Ohtani were as low as you and others seem to, then why even comment on it? How does that benefit him or the Jays? I think you're reading too much into it, tbh.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#43 » by polo007 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:27 pm

The Seattle Mariners appear to be gearing up for the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes.

In their second trade in 48 hours, the team sent Brazilian prospect Thyago Vieira to the Chicago White Sox for international signing bonus pool money.

MLB Pipeline had Vieira as the No. 8 prospect in the Mariners' system.

Read on Twitter
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#44 » by North_of_Border » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 am

Rumour has it NYY is the favourite.

There is mutual interest and they can also offer the most money.

The rich get richer

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#45 » by HangTime » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:42 am

North_of_Border wrote:Rumour has it NYY is the favourite.

The rich get richer

I thought he didn't want to go to a contender.

He wants to help a growing team, and he doesn't care about money.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#46 » by dagger » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:46 am

The rich get richer

Texas, I believe, can offer the most money.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 120,004

Post#47 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 am

dagger wrote:

The rich get richer

Texas, I believe, can offer the most money.

Hopefully Darvish called Otani and talked **** about Texas.
polo007
General Manager

Post#48 » by polo007 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager

Post#49 » by polo007 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:40 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
HangTime
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,593

Post#50 » by HangTime » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 am

Wouldn't Toronto be the best place for him?

Have entire country root for you.
Have a climate controlled environment for home games.
Gets to play for a smaller market (US attention) which he prefers.
International city, more diversity, which he may like.

I know I'm missing more advantages.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#51 » by LLJ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 pm

Has Rogers ever won a bidding war?
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,744

Post#52 » by metafisical » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:51 pm

HangTime wrote:Wouldn't Toronto be the best place for him?

Have entire country root for you.
Have a climate controlled environment for home games.
Gets to play for a smaller market (US attention) which he prefers.
International city, more diversity, which he may like.

I know I'm missing more advantages.

How many high profile Japanese baseball players chose Toronto because of the reasons you have outlined? None. There is a reason why certain teams (namely NYY, Seattle and LAD) seem to attract Japanese players more than others.

That being said, I am open to being surprised.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#53 » by Schad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:00 pm

LLJ wrote:Has Rogers ever won a bidding war?

Because Otani is young enough to be governed by the IFA rules, there really is no bidding war here. It's a very weird situation...it's a near guarantee that whoever gets Otani will immediately look to sign him to a long-term deal, but they can't actually discuss that with him before he picks a team, and MLB is apparently closely monitoring the situation for any tampering.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#54 » by Tanner » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:43 pm

LLJ wrote:Has Rogers ever won a bidding war?

This isn't a bidding war. Money is almost a non-factor in this. A team basically has to sell Ohtani on the organization. The most he can make from the signing itself is around $3.5m. I'm sure if he told a team with less money to spend that he wants to sign there, that team could trade some prospects for international money (like Alex did when he signed Guerrero) to sweeten the pot a bit. He won't necessarily go to the Rangers or Yankees (the two teams that could give him the most). That's why every team will give it their best shot. No one really knows, or it hasn't been reported, what his location preference is. Maybe he wants a big market, maybe he wants the closest flight to Japan, maybe he wants a team with strong player development track record, etc. Who knows at this point.

When Ohtani signs, he will be a regular prospect. So he'll be cheap as hell for three years and then go to arbitration. I don't think a team will sign him to a long term deal right away, certainly not right after the situation with the Braves. They will probably wait a year or two. The amount of surplus value an organization will get from this signing assuming he pans out will be enormous.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#55 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:16 pm

Schad wrote:Because Otani is young enough to be governed by the IFA rules, there really is no bidding war here. It's a very weird situation...it's a near guarantee that whoever gets Otani will immediately look to sign him to a long-term deal, but they can't actually discuss that with him before he picks a team, and MLB is apparently closely monitoring the situation for any tampering.

It's not a bidding war for salary, but there is a certain degree of bidding war going on. As much as people want to say money isn't an issue, I'll believe Otani signs for a tiny fraction of the bonus pool maximum when I see it. The bidding war will be in trades to get that bonus pool money, which is already clearly underway, with the Yankees and Mariners, and even Jays, getting involved in attempting to add to their bonus pool totals. For the Jays to get to the upper end of that total, though, will be expensive. I mean, when you're already going to sign what you know will be a bargain basement contract for whoever signs you, when a team interested in signing you might not be willing to do what it takes to pay you the max of what small amount they can, I have to imagine that's a factor, too - not the only factor or even necessarily the most important factor, but a factor. I have a hard time believing the Jays are going to get involved seriously in the bidding war for bonus pool money without serious assurances from Otani, and yeah... I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong, but I definitely don't see it in the cards.
Bucket! Bucket!
dagger
RealGM

Post#56 » by dagger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:47 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Schad wrote:Because Otani is young enough to be governed by the IFA rules, there really is no bidding war here. It's a very weird situation...it's a near guarantee that whoever gets Otani will immediately look to sign him to a long-term deal, but they can't actually discuss that with him before he picks a team, and MLB is apparently closely monitoring the situation for any tampering.

It's not a bidding war for salary, but there is a certain degree of bidding war going on. As much as people want to say money isn't an issue, I'll believe Otani signs for a tiny fraction of the bonus pool maximum when I see it. The bidding war will be in trades to get that bonus pool money, which is already clearly underway, with the Yankees and Mariners, and even Jays, getting involved in attempting to add to their bonus pool totals. For the Jays to get to the upper end of that total, though, will be expensive. I mean, when you're already going to sign what you know will be a bargain basement contract for whoever signs you, when a team interested in signing you might not be willing to do what it takes to pay you the max of what small amount they can, I have to imagine that's a factor, too - not the only factor or even necessarily the most important factor, but a factor. I have a hard time believing the Jays are going to get involved seriously in the bidding war for bonus pool money without serious assurances from Otani, and yeah... I just don't see it. I hope I'm wrong, but I definitely don't see it in the cards.

There might be another reason to go after bonus pool money - even without assurances from Otani. Kevin Maitan and the other Brave prospects freed up as free agents in last week's disciplinary action by MLB. Maitan already has received on bonus he gets to keep, but he may also prefer that money talks a second time.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Shohei Otani confirmed. Jays have chance? 

Post#57 » by North_of_Border » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm

Send Guerrero to NYY for 3 million in bonus money. Then Bo to Texas for another 3 million. Then waive that cash in front of Otani. Right to left, left to right and up and down. Let him salivate. Get a pen and finalize.... or not

But seriously. I don’t think Otani is a superstar type. Either as a pitcher or hitter. I think he will be unique, different from anything we’ve seen. A solid guy. But not what he’s hyped as.

Still would be great to get him and hopefully he proves me wrong.
dagger
RealGM

Post#58 » by dagger » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:21 pm

dagger wrote:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:

There might be another reason to go after bonus pool money - even without assurances from Otani. Kevin Maitan and the other Brave prospects freed up as free agents in last week's disciplinary action by MLB. Maitan already has received on bonus he gets to keep, but he may also prefer that money talks a second time. The Jays could use current year money or next year money - though can't combine both. So it's an interesting proposition - if everyone is waiting on Otani, scoop up a couple of those Braves prospects.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#59 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:17 am

North_of_Border wrote:Send Guerrero to NYY for 3 million in bonus money. Then Bo to Texas for another 3 million. Then waive that cash in front of Otani. Right to left, left to right and up and down. Let him salivate. Get a pen and finalize.... or not

But seriously. I don’t think Otani is a superstar type. Either as a pitcher or hitter. I think he will be unique, different from anything we’ve seen. A solid guy. But not what he’s hyped as.

Still would be great to get him and hopefully he proves me wrong.

me too, but on the Jays, not in any other uniform.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
polo007
General Manager

Post#60 » by polo007 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:37 am

Read on Twitter

NEW YORK (AP) — Major league teams were given homework this weekend by Shohei Ohtani.

The agent for the star pitcher and outfielder asked for written explanations in English and Japanese on how Ohtani would fit into each organization intending to bid and what makes the team attractive, according to details obtained by The Associated Press.

The memo from Nez Balelo, co-head of CAA Baseball, was distributed to all 30 teams by the commissioner's office late Friday along with materials for the Dec. 1 vote on a new posting agreement between Major League Baseball and Nippon Professional Baseball. If the deal is approved, the 23-year-old is expected to be put up for bid later that day or the following day.

Balelo's memo asks for a team to evaluate Ohtani's talent as a pitcher and as a hitter; to explain its player development, medical training and player performance philosophies and facilities; to describe its minor league and spring training facilities; to detail resources for Ohtani's cultural assimilation into the team's city; to demonstrate a vision for how Ohtani could integrate into the team's organization; and to tell Ohtani why the team is a desirable place to play.

Each team was asked to provide its answers in both languages as soon as possible. Clubs were told not to include any financial terms of a possible contract.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays