ImageImageImageImageImage

Orioles listening on Machado, why not Donaldson?

Moderator: JaysRule15

Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,855

Re: Orioles listening on Machado, why not Donaldson? 

Post#21 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:17 pm

So_Fresh wrote:
Read on Twitter

What's your asking price for Donaldson? Who would want in return.

Since the Jays organization is "intending" to compete this season, I'd take Reyes & Dejong, but doubtful the Cards do that.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#22 » by Schad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Flaherty, Dakota Hudson, Gyorko and a flier would get it done for me. I like Flaherty more than Reyes owing to consistency (still think Reyes ends up as a very nasty closer), and think he could slot in immediately. Hudson's a fast-mover with a big arm who could be great if he misses a few bats, and Gyorko's a league-average 3B on a solid deal.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#23 » by Tanner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter

I am curious what kind of offers they are getting for him.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#24 » by BramptonYute » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm

I wonder who the other two teams are
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,752

Post#25 » by metafisical » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Tanner wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like you mentioned yesterday, I am hoping that "no intention to trade whatsoever" means "sweeten the pot a bit more", and not "I don't care if you offer us enough assets to make us World Series contenders in 2-3 years time, Donaldson is staying with us at all costs".
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Schad » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Unfortunately, it likely means the latter. The only scenario where I could see us trading Donaldson is in a Gord Ash style deal for a name veteran with a year or two of extra control.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran

Post#27 » by Tanner » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:13 am

I'm sure there is an offer that could make Shapiro go to Rogers and sell the idea of trading him, but it would have to be a deal that doesn't hurt the 2018 team while simultaneously giving them more cost controlled talent. I don't think that type of deal exists. A pure rebuilding trade is out of the question.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect
And1: 369

Post#28 » by North_of_Border » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:38 am

Read somewhere that the Atlanta Braves were one of the teams interested in Donaldson. The Alex Anthopolous Braves.

Not sure why, as they are rebuilding but said something like they wanted a stop gap 3B until their prospects are ready. Odd since JD will be expensive, but then again we are talking about AA here.

Braves still have one of the Best and deepest farms in the MLB.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Schad » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:53 am

Tanner wrote:I'm sure there is an offer that could make Shapiro go to Rogers and sell the idea of trading him, but it would have to be a deal that doesn't hurt the 2018 team while simultaneously giving them more cost controlled talent. I don't think that type of deal exists. A pure rebuilding trade is out of the question.

It shouldn't be out of the question, though. That it's out of the question speaks to why we're going to have major problems building a long-term contender, because as Shapiro said, if making decisions on baseball factors alone (read: if the club wasn't such a cash cow for the next little while) we'd already be a year deep into a rebuild. But we're going to keep letting the tail wag the dog until we've killed fan interest again.
**** your asterisk.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#30 » by phillipmike » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:54 pm

metafisical wrote:Like you mentioned yesterday, I am hoping that "no intention to trade whatsoever" means "sweeten the pot a bit more",

Definitely what it means.

and not "I don't care if you offer us enough assets to make us World Series contenders in 2-3 years time, Donaldson is staying with us at all costs".

No one thinks this way. Not even the great Dave Stewart... Donaldson isnt the best player in the league nor close to one of the best assets in the league as he is 33 with 1 year left.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#31 » by dagger » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:10 pm

I chastise the media regularly for their sycophantic catering to the Jays management on the topic of status quo vs rebuild, but I was pleasantly surprised by the way Bobcat is ridiculing Shatkins on this topic. "Dumb and dumber". He was contemptuous of the idea of signing CC Sabathia at age 37 and prone to miss a large number of starts. Not fair on a personal level, but he is certainly giving the casual fans an alternative view.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Al_Oliver
Sixth Man
And1: 201

Post#32 » by Al_Oliver » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:05 pm

dagger wrote: "Dumb and dumber".

Here I was thinking he was referring to himself and whichever co-host was on that day...
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#33 » by So_Fresh » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:42 pm

metafisical wrote:
Tanner wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like you mentioned yesterday, I am hoping that "no intention to trade whatsoever" means "sweeten the pot a bit more", and not "I don't care if you offer us enough assets to make us World Series contenders in 2-3 years time, Donaldson is staying with us at all costs".

Exactly what it means. If Donaldson was staying we wouldnt be hearing teams pushing to trade for him. I believe he's being made available if a team is willing to pay the price to get him.

I like Schads offer of Flaherty, Dakota Hudson, and Gyorko. Although I would love to see Reyes on this team. I would do that deal in a heartbeat!

Lets face it we are not contending in 2018. Donaldson isn't coming back. He is going to be offered crazy money as a FA. Jays won't be able to match. Might as well sell now and get some nice pieces back.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Orioles listening on Machado, why not Donaldson? 

Post#34 » by North_of_Border » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 am

It was reported that Donaldson sat down with management at end of Season and said he wants to be in Toronto and wants to sign an extension now rather than become a FA.... do others remember this report?

So the Jays won’t deal him, then why not extend him already. Either he’s your guy or not at this point. It’s his final year. Are they planning on negotiating a contract when all other teams are in on him next year? That’s dumb.
North_of_Border
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by North_of_Border » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Donaldson to NYY for Torres and Clint Frazier.

Frazier is the odd man out of the outfield now, and Donaldson plays the same position as Torres. NYY might agree to this.

They pay a premium for dealing in division. So say NYY adds a must mid level Pitcher as a flyer.

Great deal?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#36 » by Skin Blues » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:44 pm

The Yankees aren't stupid. They probably wouldn't trade either one of those guys for Donaldson, let alone both. Definitely not Torres, but Frazier - that'd be a possibility. I can't see the Jays fan base being happy about that, though.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Schad » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:44 pm

If the Yankees were interested (and who knows, given that they're lining up for the Machado/Harper sweepstakes and have Torres), I'd probably do something centered around Chance Adams + Miguel Andujar.

Adams is a former reliever who is still stretching out a little but has posted good numbers and Andujar is a 3B who is likely to get blocked in the process. MLB's #53 and #92 prospects respectively...not the sexiest return from a prospect ranking standpoint, but both are close to the majors and have unrealized upside.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran

Post#38 » by Tanner » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:33 am

The time to trade Donaldson from a value standpoint was after the 2016 season when he had two full years of control left. Of course the Jays were coming off an ALCS appearance and were likely to get a huge boost in attendance the following season, so that would not have made business sense. Trading him now means the team that acquires him will get him for one year and over $20m. So there is no cost benefit or control benefit. Strictly a rental, and an expensive one. I can't see the offers being that good. Maybe you will get a good prospect and some decent ones, but the type of prospect(s) that can stand side by side with Guerrero and Bichette? Probably not.

It doesn't hurt to listen to offers. Maybe a team gets desperate and gives up a deal no one can turn down, but chances are you will not get the type of value for JD that warrants losing a projected 6 wins in 2018. Sure at that point you run the risk of losing him for a comp pick or trading him for whatever you can get in July if the team is out of it, but it's hard to imagine a trade scenario that is worth trading him now and getting talent that will be difference makers for the team's next competitive window. No one is giving up Robles or Acuna or Devers types.

I know many here do not like the projected standings on fangraphs, but right now the Jays sit behind the top 4 teams (Houston, Cleveland, NY, Boston) and the Angels. They haven't made a single move in the off season other than Diaz and are a projected 83 win team despite being projected to get nothing out of RF and a starting rotation all projected to have Era's of 4.38 and above except Stroman. At this point it makes a lot of sense to just see if 2018 can turn into anything before selling at the deadline rather than giving up before the season starts and trying to get excited about a young starter with mid rotation potential and a lottery ticket or two acquired in a trade.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Schad » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 am

At this point it makes a lot of sense to just see if 2018 can turn into anything before selling at the deadline rather than giving up before the season starts and trying to get excited about a young starter with mid rotation potential and a lottery ticket or two acquired in a trade.

Not really. The odds of us being the one team that emerges from the pack are low. The odds of us being the one team that emerges from the pack and knocks off the Red Sox or Yankees in the Wild Card game are lower still. We're going all in on what is probably a 1 in 5 (or worse) shot to have a 2 in 5 chance to make it to an actual playoff round.

Six and a half years of a young starter with mid-rotation potential alone is far more valuable than one year of Donaldson spent on a team that has an 80%+ chance of going nowhere.
**** your asterisk.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#40 » by Skin Blues » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:51 am

Seeing what the Angels and Yankees have done this offseason has really tipped the scales towards starting a re-build immediately. We're gonna need some luck to even grab a wildcard spot.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays