Post#1 » by TANKNATION » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:29 pm

I love him
:crazy:
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Re: Teoscar hernandez 

Post#2 » by Skin Blues » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Still can't fathom how we got 6 years of this guy in return for 2 months of Francisco Liriano.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#3 » by Tanner » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:26 pm

His power is real and I think his k% will normalize (~25%) as he gets more reps in the bigs. Now the question is whether the front office can accept Morales as sunk cost and move on from him. If they do, then much respect. If not, then poor Kendrys will be a lightning rod for the next few months unless he starts hitting.
TANKNATION
Analyst
And1: 11,049

Post#4 » by TANKNATION » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:26 am

Tanner wrote:His power is real and I think his k% will normalize (~25%) as he gets more reps in the bigs. Now the question is whether the front office can accept Morales as sunk cost and move on from him. If they do, then much respect. If not, then poor Kendrys will be a lightning rod for the next few months unless he starts hitting.

Hopefully a team bites and were able to trade him as I still think he does provide some value but teoscar keeps hitting like the way he does no way he's not our everyday outfielder
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#5 » by Tanner » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:15 am

DH's who are better hitters than Morales had trouble finding jobs in the off season, and signed for much less than the the $11-12m aav that Morales is owed this year and next year. The only two options are keeping him or releasing him. Really no other option. EVen if he starts to hit again, no team is touching that contract, so playing him more isn't going to improve his value.

Maybe there is a Liriano type of deal out there where the Jays can send 1-2 prospects who they have soured on and need to make 40 man roster decisions on who they can include to persuade a team to take him, but no sense messing with your prospect capital to save money. The Jays are a high enough payroll team to eat up the salary. Just a matter of whether the bean counters will agree and whether the front office is willing to swallow a moderately expensive mistake.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,572

Post#6 » by bluerap23 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:24 am

Tanner wrote:DH's who are better hitters than Morales had trouble finding jobs in the off season, and signed for much less than the the $11-12m aav that Morales is owed this year and next year. The only two options are keeping him or releasing him. Really no other option. EVen if he starts to hit again, no team is touching that contract, so playing him more isn't going to improve his value.

Maybe there is a Liriano type of deal out there where the Jays can send 1-2 prospects who they have soured on and need to make 40 man roster decisions on who they can include to persuade a team to take him, but no sense messing with your prospect capital to save money. The Jays are a high enough payroll team to eat up the salary. Just a matter of whether the bean counters will agree and whether the front office is willing to swallow a moderately expensive mistake.

I'd rather eat the $$ than give away prospects.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#7 » by SharoneWright » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 am

Didn't EVERYONE think we accumulated too many outfielders in the offseason??? I mean, many of us thought Alford could also be in the mix....
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,295

Post#8 » by Randle McMurphy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:52 am

SharoneWright wrote:Didn't EVERYONE think we accumulated too many outfielders in the offseason??? I mean, many of us thought Alford could also be in the mix....

He will be after they finally get rid of Pillar (and that's coming within the next 12 months).
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
TANKNATION
Analyst

Post#9 » by TANKNATION » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:55 am

SharoneWright wrote:Didn't EVERYONE think we accumulated too many outfielders in the offseason??? I mean, many of us thought Alford could also be in the mix....

Yup and think about it... we got tulo,Donaldson injured as well... its gonna be hard to squeeze everybody in. This is what the Jays wanted though... flexibility and versatility
TANKNATION
Analyst

Post#10 » by TANKNATION » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:

He will be after they finally get rid of Pillar (and that's coming within the next 12 months).

He's building quite a value as well early on in the season but I doubt we trade him if he continues to get hits and were winning
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#11 » by So_Fresh » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:05 pm

Trading Pillar wouldn't be a bad thing imo. Grichuk can play CF. Teoscar in RF. If he continues to hit his value will go up and we can probably get a good package for him in return. Won't go too well with some of the fans since he is a fan favorite. We have too many outfielders as it is anyways.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,295

Post#12 » by Randle McMurphy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:05 am

TANKNATION wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:

He's building quite a value as well early on in the season but I doubt we trade him if he continues to get hits and were winning

They'll only trade him this season if they fall out of contention early. But he's got no long-term future here with Alford on the way.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#13 » by vaff87 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:37 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:
TANKNATION wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:He will be after they finally get rid of Pillar (and that's coming within the next 12 months).

They'll only trade him this season if they fall out of contention early. But he's got no long-term future here with Alford on the way.

All the bandwagon fans are going to riot.
rotty
Head Coach
And1: 35,090

Post#14 » by rotty » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:37 am

Love this kid too. And I know its one game but gurriel was exciting tonight. So much versatility and I like it. I also agree Morales needs to go and depending on how things go with Alford in the minors, wouldnt mind moving pillar. I like the future of this team. especially with bichette and vladdy on their way in september or next season

Edit: and I havent even mentioned the mailman Maile !!
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Post#15 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:34 am

Man, I really wish there was some way we could move Morales. But we're stuck with him for now. Just need to find a way to make it work. But there's no question that Teo needs to stay up here and get regular at-bats.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#16 » by Schad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:47 pm

I'd imagine that we'll start to put out feelers on Pearce, even this early in the season. He's a useful bat and isn't making a tonne, and a team like Colorado (with their all-lefty OF, two members of which cannot hit lefties) would seem like a sensible destination.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#17 » by dagger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:40 am

rottweiler93 wrote:Love this kid too. And I know its one game but gurriel was exciting tonight. So much versatility and I like it. I also agree Morales needs to go and depending on how things go with Alford in the minors, wouldnt mind moving pillar. I like the future of this team. especially with bichette and vladdy on their way in september or next season

Edit: and I havent even mentioned the mailman Maile !!

We have both Pompey and Dwight Smith Jr off to good starts, so there is lot of latitude to make changes in the OF.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Schad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Teoscar's weird, man. He always had some pop, but beyond half a season in A+ Lancaster (which is such a notorious hitting environment that you'll rarely read a scouting report of a prospect there that doesn't include their home/road splits) he never showed anything approaching the 70-grade power he suddenly sprouted post-trade. He has an isolated power above .350 as a Jay, and his numbers in 2017-2018 extrapolate to over 50 HRs in a full season.

Dunno where that has come from, or to what degree we can expect it to stick around.
**** your asterisk.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#19 » by dagger » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:30 pm

Schad wrote:Teoscar's weird, man. He always had some pop, but beyond half a season in A+ Lancaster (which is such a notorious hitting environment that you'll rarely read a scouting report of a prospect there that doesn't include their home/road splits) he never showed anything approaching the 70-grade power he suddenly sprouted post-trade. He has an isolated power above .350 as a Jay, and his numbers in 2017-2018 extrapolate to over 50 HRs in a full season.

Dunno where that has come from, or to what degree we can expect it to stick around.

If opposing pitchers don't throw him a heavy diet of breaking balls, it's a case of advance scouting incompetence. He shouldn't see a fastball on the inner half, ever. Let's see how he does when the rest of the league figures this out.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Schad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:04 pm

They've been junkballing him thus far; his fastball percentage is among the lowest in the league (only 2 of the 15 pitches he saw today were classified as straight fastballs, with two more cutters, and his homer was off a mistake slider), and to his credit he's striking out less thus far, though his chase/whiff rates are still well short of ideal.

That said, the "challenge rookies and make them prove they can hit the fastball" trope is baseball at its absolute dimmest. They can all hit the fastball if thrown middle-middle! There are plenty of guys who throw hard in the minors, and what generally separates minor league pitchers from their major league counterparts is that the latter have quality secondary pitches. and that's the steepest learning curve for young hitters.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays