2018 MLB Draft - June 4 - 6

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,087

2018 MLB Draft - June 4 - 6 

Post#1 » by Schad » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:44 pm

Usually post this at the start of May, but putting it up slightly early because it's a really intriguing draft class.. Seems to be a lot of top-15 worthy talent, but few nailed-on top picks...it's quite likely that a number of guys who were drooled over a year ago will be available at 12 when we select.

Jays picks:

Overall pool - $7.98m

First round, 12th overall - $4.20m
Second round, 52nd overall - $1.35m
Third round, 88th overall - $653k
Fourth round, 116th overall - $479k
Every 30 picks thereafter.

Kiley McDaniel's top 50 and mock:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-mlb-mock-draft-v-1-0/

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/updated-2018-mlb-draft-rankings/

I started this now in part because Callis stated that his updated rankings/mock would be up by the end of the week, but, well...I'll include when it is.

Per McDaniel, we're one of the teams heavily into Kumar Rocker, a HS RHP who was talked about as 1-1 material at one point and hasn't really done a tonne to diminish his standing. Seems to get dinged a bit simply because he's been on the radar so long, and because he's a strong commit to Vanderbilt (something that has caused us heartburn in the past).

The other name mentioned is Connor Scott, a five-tool HS CF with a tonne of projection. I'm down. The combination of the two suggests that we're not afraid to draft young, a good thing in a pool overflowing with high schoolers, particularly high school arms.
**** your asterisk.
JaysRule15
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 119,997

Re: 2018 MLB Draft - June 4 - 6 

Post#2 » by JaysRule15 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:36 am

lmao, came into this thread expecting Schad to drop some cool sounding names. Not disappointed with Kumar Rocker.

Dude sounds like a Bollywood star.
IceBelly05
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#3 » by IceBelly05 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Travis Swaggerty
Kumar Rocker
Seth Beer
Steele Walker

All great names to add to the likes of Maverik Buffo
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Schad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:54 pm

JaysRule15 wrote:lmao, came into this thread expecting Schad to drop some cool sounding names. Not disappointed with Kumar Rocker.

Dude sounds like a Bollywood star.

Yeah, I really want Rocker. 70-grade fastball, 70-grade name. Also the son of a former NFL player and long-time coach, which kinda counts, right?

IceBelly published a good primer, but I'm waiting 'tll MLB publishes the list of draft-eligible prospects to start hunting for the Maverik Buffos of 2018, because I'm too cheap to pay for a BA or PG subscription.
**** your asterisk.
IceBelly05
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#5 » by IceBelly05 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:17 pm

With Rocker he has a commitment to Vanderbilt and that’s the one thing that scares me about drafting him, and if it wasn’t for our good September last year we’d be drafting atleast 2 spots higher

Beyond the great names I wouldn’t mind drafting jarred kelenic. CF with some decent pop and a 60 grade hit tool
emptytheclip
Sixth Man
And1: 3,911

Post#6 » by emptytheclip » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Funny they might have a chance to draft Brady Singer again, seems like his stock fell a little bit.

Tristan Pompey (Dalton’s little bro) looks like a mid first rounder.

There seems to be a couple intriguing arms at the top of this draft, one may drop to the Blue Jays at 12.
I wouldn’t mind an upside pick with a HS prep arm like Kumar Rocker or Ethan Hankins.
They’ve got log jams of position players in the farm and not too many arms.
It could be awhile before they get another pick this high. Their rotation was a dumpster last year and half their club was DL’d which resulted in this draft slot.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,485

Post#7 » by dagger » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Speaking of logjams - the nice kind to have - the Jays are favorites to land this guy. I know we've had whispers of this posted before, but MLB Pipeline is out with its latest 30 top international prospects ranking, and Jesse Sanchez has placed signing destinations on the top five. So another shortstop.

Read on Twitter

By rate way, Schad, anyone whose first name we can just shorten to Elvis will launch a 1000 good headlines if he makes it big in the majors.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#8 » by vaff87 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:11 pm

dagger wrote:Speaking of logjams - the nice kind to have - the Jays are favorites to land this guy. I know we've had whispers of this posted before, but MLB Pipeline is out with its latest 30 top international prospects ranking, and Jesse Sanchez has placed signing destinations on the top five. So another shortstop.

Read on Twitter

By rate way, Schad, anyone whose first name we can just shorten to Elvis will launch a 1000 good headlines if he makes it big in the majors.

“A young Adrian Beltre.”

I’m pencilling him in the HOF as we speak. Booking my tickets to Cooperstown for 2045.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by emptytheclip » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:03 am

There are articles saying he might end up at 3rd or corner OFs. He prob wont arrive till 2022-2024 so i guess its irrelvant.
If his bat is good we can find a spot
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Schad » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:23 am

Callis' top 100 is out:

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=draft

Per McDaniel, current expectation around the league is that the top four goes Mize - Swaggerty - Bohm - Madrigal.
**** your asterisk.
flatjacket1
Analyst
And1: 66

Post#11 » by flatjacket1 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:16 pm

In terms of arms in the first round, solid depth and talent.

To me, my #1 arm would be LHP Matthew Liberatore (assuming Mize obviously is off the board). Big lefty, decent command looks like he projects as a starter. The only real knock is he loses velo deeper in games, which is mainly a conditioning/immaturity issue with most HS arms. Logan Gillbert would be my #2, solid college arm who did well in the cape (wood bat SL). Command is solid, power curve, big frame easily a starter.

Kumar looks like he may have issues with sign ability which will mean our next several picks will need to be underslot guys, and everyone else has enough struggles with command and inconsistent performance, and would need to develop enough to be risky picks. I would be content with a position player if both of those guys are gone. Many of the arms that look like projectable HS guys fall in the 2nd half of the first round, and taking a project in the first round isn't a great strategy IMO.
Avp115 wrote:Bautista>>Mike Trout and Kendrick
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by emptytheclip » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:05 pm

Go big or go home. Try for a high upside pick that can be a star.
Screw trying to get a safe pick that might turn out to be a replacement level player.
They won’t have a first rounder this high for awhile.

If pitcher, Shane McClanahan (if drop), Jackson Kowar, Kumar Rocker, or Ethan Hankins
If bat, Nolan Gorman, Joey Bart, Jered Kelenic, Travis Swaggerty (no way he’s dropping to 12).

Lots of solid lefty bats here, Jays desperately need one. Wouldn’t mind a pitcher
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#13 » by -MetA4- » Wed May 2, 2018 7:07 pm

Jays Fan Matt
Hearing any other names connected to Toronto at pick 12? Any guys you've heard them scouting for possibly the second round? Thanks as always.

Kiley McDaniel
Kumar Rocker and Connor Scott are two names I've heard a good bit. Nicholas Schnell in the 2nd I've also heard.

Nick Schnell is another prep OF (from Indiana); good frame and feel for hitting with present speed and arm strength.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Schad » Wed May 2, 2018 7:36 pm

Definitely do not appear to be shying away from prep kids.
**** your asterisk.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,534

Post#15 » by Fairview4Life » Thu May 3, 2018 12:09 am

vaff87 wrote:
dagger wrote:Speaking of logjams - the nice kind to have - the Jays are favorites to land this guy. I know we've had whispers of this posted before, but MLB Pipeline is out with its latest 30 top international prospects ranking, and Jesse Sanchez has placed signing destinations on the top five. So another shortstop.

Read on Twitter

“A young Adrian Beltre.”

I’m pencilling him in the HOF as we speak. Booking my tickets to Cooperstown for 2045.

Why such a short career?
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by emptytheclip » Sat May 5, 2018 1:23 am

http://sixmanrotation.com/mock-draft-picks-1-30/
They have us taking McClanahan, haven’t seen a mock with him dropping to us. Lefty with 100 mph heater with potential plus change and slider. Would be a great pickup.

They also have Nolan Gorman picked #13, Kumar Rocker #16, Ryan Weathers #18, Ethan Hankins #26

Quite some juicy choices there. Hope the scouting department did their homework

https://www.mlb.com/news/projections-for-all-30-first-round-draft-picks/c-274577288?tid=151437456
Has us taking Ryan Rolison, with Hankins, Kowar, Rocker, Weathers, Turang still on the board

They’re anticipating Shatkins brain trust will continue to play it safe

https://247sports.com/mlb/scouting/Article/MLB-Draft-April-Big-Board-1-17--117665782
They also have us at McClanahan #12

https://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=15110
Ryan Rolison picked with Joey Bart still on board. Also Rocker, Kowar, Turang, Scott, Weathers

http://thedmonline.com/baseball-weekend-preview-2/
Interesting stuff on Ryan Rolison if anyone is interested
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Schad » Sat May 5, 2018 1:45 am

If we're talking a college lefty, it has to be Weathers. Not that he's a more highly-regarded player, but he's the only son with a first-round projection, as far as I am aware.
**** your asterisk.
Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Post#18 » by Wally West » Mon May 7, 2018 9:18 pm

Looking at years past in the draft when I roll out my list on guys I want all the way down to busts, I got suckered into projection picks more then guys with now ready tools but last year, and maybe the year before that, I really turned a corner in terms of what to look for. Looking at these prospects, the 5 guys that jump out at me in order are Nolan Gorman, Ethan Hankins, Connor Scott, Austin Becker and Kumar Rocker. A bit about everyone.

Nolan Gorman - 80 raw power and competent but not a great of a defender at 3B. If you think you can straighten him out as he has had an up and down senior season, the rewards could be huge.

Ethan Hankins - Unless the medicals say he has a tear in his right shoulder, you can't ignore a kid with that kind of life on his fastball. There's no doubt in my mind that if he fills out, he'll be touching 100+ on the heater easily. To go along with an above average changeup, and solid average curveball and slider, this kid could be special.

Connor Scott - Really like this kid. Don't have him higher as I'm not sure how much he'll fill out. Already a plus-plus runner with 70 speed, can really, really put the barrel on the baseball. How much power he'll develop will be key here.

Austin Becker - Crazy projectable. For every Aaron Sanchez, there's a Trey Ball who just doesn't fill out his body for whatever reason. Could have three above average if not plus pitches with the fastball, curveball and changeup.

Kumar Rocker - Built like he should be in the NFL, the only reason why I don't have him higher is I do worry about his weight. Don't get me wrong, I shouldn't worry about that but if he's not careful, could end up very heavy. Plus-plus fastball, though to go along with that wicked slider and average changeup.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by emptytheclip » Tue May 8, 2018 5:22 am

This draft class has a very strong crop of HS prospects, especially the prep arms. You don’t normally see this many HS arms that could potentially be picked top 15. HS players in general are considered a bit risky and usually need more seasoning in the minors.

Bats: Brice Turang, Jarred Kelenic, Connor Scott, Will Banfield, Nolan Gorman, Nander De Sedas, Jordyn Adams, Triston Casas
Arms: Ethan Hankins, Kumar Rocker, Matt Liberatore, Ryan Weathers, Mason Denaburg, Carter Stewart, Cole Winn, Mike Vasil

These highschool guys have top 10 pick potential in most draft classes.
Some had stocks fall due to injury, others were projected higher but had their stocks dip a bit.

With a bit of luck and quality scouting, they can really land a decent prospect this year.

If they go the college route, the guys that might be still on board for #12 include:
Bats: Jonathan India, Joey Bart, Jeremy Eierman, Steele Walker, Trevor Larnach
Arms: Shane McClanahan, Ryan Rolison, Logan Gilbert, Jackson Kowar

Most of the college bats that make scouts salivate seem to be picked early in mocks, don’t think they will fall the way down to 12.
With such a strong pitching class, and most of the top college bats picked before 12, and HS bats generally a bit risky, I think the Jays have their best chances with an arm if they are comfortable with the risk.
Ong_dynasty
Head Coach
And1: 351

Post#20 » by Ong_dynasty » Tue May 8, 2018 12:28 pm

with the difference in pay between 1st Round and 2nd Round money
Does it not make sense to get a good college player who we can get under slot and go for a strong HS arm or player in the 2nd round? Who would be deemed to expensive?

Return to Toronto Blue Jays