2018 MLB Draft - June 4 - 6

Moderator: JaysRule15

Wally West
Starter
And1: 329

Re: 2018 MLB Draft - June 4 - 6 

Post#81 » by Wally West » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:04 am

vaff87 wrote:
Wally West wrote:My yearly tradition. Here you go.

Want: Nolan Gorman, Ethan Hankins, Jordan Groshans, Matthew Liberatore, Owen White, Carter Stewart, Braydon Fisher, Joe Gray
Wouldn't Mind: Jordyn Adams, Kris Bubic, Colby Gomes, Mason Denaburg, Eric Cerantola, Justin Jarvis, Kumar Rocker, Connor Scott
Worried About/Hesitant About Us Picking: : Bryce Montes de Oca, Brady Singer, Zach Hess, Durbin Feltman, Drew Rasmussen
Deck McGuire Clones/Stay Away From: J.T. Ginn, Mitchell Killkenny, Cody Deason, Nick Sandlin, Paul RIchan, Michael Flynn

Please note that I've omitted Casey Mize, Joey Bart, Alec Bohm and Nick Madrigal as I feel there's not way they get to our pick at 12. I'm also aware Joe Gray's name is Joe Gray Jr. but I couldn't squeeze the "Jr." part on the first line.

What about Swaggerty and Kelenic?

I should've mentioned in my above post that I had both of them in the "Wouldn't Mind" category but much lower hence why either of them didn't make this list as I couldn't fit them on the first line with all this talent. I'm not particularly high on either player but I could see either of them being the pick at 12 as they both have above average to plus hit tools which we seemed to value with our first pick last year Logan Warmoth. If that's the trend, they'll be in the running with our pick to go along with Connor Scott, a guy I actually like.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
Wally West
Starter

Post#82 » by Wally West » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:10 am

emptytheclip wrote:

Want: Nolan Gorman, Ethan Hankins, Jordan Groshans, Matthew Liberatore, Owen White, Carter Stewart, Braydon Fisher, Joe Gray
Wouldn't Mind: Jordyn Adams, Kris Bubic, Colby Gomes, Mason Denaburg, Eric Cerantola, Justin Jarvis, Kumar Rocker, Connor Scott
Worried About/Hesitant About Us Picking: : Bryce Montes de Oca, Brady Singer, Zach Hess, Durbin Feltman, Drew Rasmussen
Deck McGuire Clones/Stay Away From: J.T. Ginn, Mitchell Killkenny, Cody Deason, Nick Sandlin, Paul RIchan, Michael Flynn

Please note that I've omitted Casey Mize, Joey Bart, Alec Bohm and Nick Madrigal as I feel there's not way they get to our pick at 12. I'm also aware Joe Gray's name is Joe Gray Jr. but I couldn't squeeze the "Jr." part on the first line.

Wow that’s fun! Let me join in.
1st round only for me:

Want: Matthew Liberatore, Carter Stewart, Jarred Kelenic, Travis Swaggerty, Brady Singer
Wouldn’t mind: Logan Gilbert, Connor Scott, Jordyn Adams, Nolan Gorman, Cole Winn, Cole Wilcox, Kumar Rocker, Trevor Lanarch
Worried about/hesitant about us picking: Shane McClanahan, Ryan Rolison, Ryan Weathers, Ethan Hankins, Mason Denaburg, Jackson Kowar, Xavier Edwards, Brice Turang

Great list man! Where's your "busts" list? I've debated what to make of McClanahan and I didn't mention him on my list because even though his injury history and delivery scream reliever, there's just too much talent there like a Lance McCullers who I was borderline on as well.
Want: Trae Young, Michael Porter Jr., DeAndre Ayton, Jaren Jackson Jr, Marvin Bagley III, Mohamad Bamba, Shai Gilgeous- Alexander, Elie Okobo, Jevon Carter
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#83 » by vaff87 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:12 am

Wally West wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

I should've mentioned in my above post that I had both of them in the "Wouldn't Mind" category but much lower hence why either of them didn't make this list as I couldn't fit them on the first line with all this talent. I'm not particularly high on either player but I could see either of them being the pick at 12 as they both have above average to plus hit tools which we seemed to value with our first pick last year Logan Warmoth. If that's the trend, they'll be in the running with our pick to go along with Connor Scott, a guy I actually like.

I noticed in IFA the last two years, they’ve signed guys with the “best hitter in the class” label, in Miguel Hiraldo and presumably Orelvis Martinez. And of course, Bo Bichette in the 2016 draft. Seems to be a trend.

I don’t know if that’s just common sense or what. :lol:
Wally West
Starter

Post#84 » by Wally West » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:22 am

vaff87 wrote:
Wally West wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

I noticed in IFA the last two years, they’ve signed guys with the “best hitter in the class” label, in Miguel Hiraldo and presumably Orelvis Martinez. And of course, Bo Bichette in the 2016 draft. Seems to be a trend.

No kidding eh? I didn't notice as I thought it was just a potential draft trend as it's only been one year under the Steve Sander regime. Bo Bichette by many pundits had a below average hit tool his draft year hence why he lasted until the 2nd round and got drafted after JB freaking Woodman (still seething at that pick). The only person I remember was optimistic about Bo leading up to the draft was Keith Law.
vaff87
RealGM

Post#85 » by vaff87 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 4:37 am

Wally West wrote:
vaff87 wrote:
Wally West wrote:I should've mentioned in my above post that I had both of them in the "Wouldn't Mind" category but much lower hence why either of them didn't make this list as I couldn't fit them on the first line with all this talent. I'm not particularly high on either player but I could see either of them being the pick at 12 as they both have above average to plus hit tools which we seemed to value with our first pick last year Logan Warmoth. If that's the trend, they'll be in the running with our pick to go along with Connor Scott, a guy I actually like.

No kidding eh? I didn't notice as I thought it was just a potential draft trend as it's only been one year under the Steve Sander regime. Bo Bichette by many pundits had a below average hit tool his draft year hence why he lasted until the 2nd round and got drafted after JB freaking Woodman (still seething at that pick). The only person I remember was optimistic about Bo leading up to the draft was Keith Law.

From what I understand with Bo, there was just a lot of scepticism about his swing. A lot of people thought it wouldn’t translate, while apparently there were some teams really high on him.

Apparently he had three or four offers before the Jays drafted him. The Jays were one of the top places he wanted to be, surprisingly. His relationship with Tulo contributed to that, among other things.
Wally West
Starter

Post#86 » by Wally West » Mon Jun 4, 2018 5:09 am

vaff87 wrote:
Wally West wrote:
vaff87 wrote:

From what I understand with Bo, there was just a lot of scepticism about his swing. A lot of people thought it wouldn’t translate, while apparently there were some teams really high on him.

Apparently he had three or four offers before the Jays drafted him. The Jays were one of the top places he wanted to be, surprisingly. His relationship with Tulo contributed to that, among other things.

I see. That's how you know I'm tired though as I spelled Steve Sanders wrong. :lol: That's it for me but I'm really looking forward to tonight!
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#87 » by -MetA4- » Mon Jun 4, 2018 5:24 am

emptytheclip wrote:I don’t think Ross Atkins & Steve Sanders are the type to go for huge gambles like a HS righty with very recent injury history. It’s one thing to take a gamble on Pearson when the guy has a college track record and he’s one of your two 1st rounders.
This management seems way to conservative for that.

Denaburg has talent there’s no question about it. But prep righties drafted in the first round usually do have great stuff and projectability, yet this demographic has the highest fail rates out of any draftees. A lot of these prep arms never show that velocity they had in HS once they turn pro.

If you’re the Tampa Bay Rays and you’re drafting #16, 31, 32 you can take a shot at a guy like Denaburg cuz you aren’t putting all your eggs in one basket.

I think if the Jays do want to take a risk at a prep righty and draft underslot, they’re more likely to go after Cole Wilcox or Grayson Rodriguez.

But who are we kidding? There’s a high chance they’re drafting a college guy tomorrow.

Most of what you just said is based off pure conjecture and isn't grounded in any reality. They are already linked to prep pitchers, including prep righthanders, so clearly they have no problem taking that risk, otherwise why are they scouting these kids? What makes you think that they are "conservative" when it should be pretty obvious by now that the last two drafts were heavily influenced by the fact that we had next to nothing in the upper minors, and poof, now that there is some stability in the system we are supposedly only linked to prep players "unless a college player who shouldn't be available" is available. I don't even understand the logic behind your last statement: you've clearly been following the lead up to this draft, why do you believe that there is a "high chance" they take a college player when all the information is pointing the other way? Even Keith Law had them taking Grayson Rodriguez in his most recent mock, and he was (erroneously it seems) claiming that they were "in on college pitchers" previously.

There is no real reason for Wilcox or Rodriguez to take an underslot deal when they are in play in that range anyway. While Denaburg could ultimately still go before both of those two anyway, I brought him up because his injury makes his stock more volatile, which in theory should at least make him more receptive to taking less money at #12 to at least guarantee 'X' amount of money.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#88 » by dagger » Mon Jun 4, 2018 12:43 pm

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
emptytheclip
Sixth Man
And1: 3,911

Post#89 » by emptytheclip » Mon Jun 4, 2018 3:06 pm

Them picking 15/20 college picks, 2 Ju-co and 3 HS players in the top 10 since 2016 makes them seem like a risk averse group. I would love to be wrong and they pick a prep player today.

Rodriguez and Wilcox has rising stock but haven’t heard anyone is seriously considering them top 10. Would they draft for underslot? No clue. Was just throwing names out there for the scenario.

And about Bichette, I heard there was signability issues with Bo. He had a couple teams in mind and wasn't willing to sign with just anybody.

At Lakewood HS (while home school’ed he played there) Bichette hit for a .569 batting avg. and was the Tampa Bay Times player of the year and Gatorade player of the year for Florida and was named Florida's Mr. Baseball. His hit tool was off the charts, scouts just doubted it would work in the pros. He didn’t want to change his swing, which is why he fell to the Blue Jays in the second round.
Wally West
Starter

Post#90 » by Wally West » Mon Jun 4, 2018 5:53 pm

From Keith Law's Final Mock Draft
12. Toronto Blue Jays: Jonathan India, 3B, Florida

This is supposedly Swaggerty's floor, too; I've heard them more on college guys (India, Ryan Rolison) than prep guys, although the rumor mill badly wants to connect them to Noah Naylor because he's Canadian. The one prep arm I've heard them with is Grayson Rodriguez.
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#91 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Mon Jun 4, 2018 5:58 pm

Is this a good draft? I don't see too many familiar apart from Singer, Bart, and Rocker.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,094

Post#92 » by Schad » Mon Jun 4, 2018 6:21 pm

Callis/Mayo both say they're hearing prep bats over college, so again Keith Law appears to be speaking to different people.They have Gorman/Swaggerty in that spot, respectively.
**** your asterisk.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#93 » by BigLeagueChew » Mon Jun 4, 2018 6:22 pm

vaff87
RealGM

Post#94 » by vaff87 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 6:24 pm

Last year going into the draft, we had a pretty good idea who the Jays were going to pick with both of their first round picks.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#95 » by Schad » Mon Jun 4, 2018 8:57 pm

Just in terms of sheer uniqueness, the unquestioned leader in this draft is Anthony Ziegler...he's a switch-hitting catcher who also can throw with both arms from behind the plate, and also served as an ambidextrous relief pitcher for his high school. Per Fangraphs he'd also be only the second known Navajo player in the majors if he made it, after Jacoby Ellsbury.
**** your asterisk.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by emptytheclip » Mon Jun 4, 2018 9:59 pm

Yeah heard about him. Switch pitching switch hitter lol. Will drive the umpires bananas.

You guys higher on India or Swaggerty?
vaff87
RealGM

Post#97 » by vaff87 » Mon Jun 4, 2018 10:10 pm

So who’s everyone’s #1 realistic choice? As a person that has never seen any of these guys play, I’m going to go with Swaggerty. I’ve heard him compared to Brett Gardner. As I said, I prefer position prospects in the first round. He seems to have a pretty high upside, and might not take too long to get to the majors.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#98 » by emptytheclip » Mon Jun 4, 2018 10:26 pm

I’m not sure, they could be hoping for someone from the top 10 to fall on their lap or they have an eye on a very specific prep player. I do see the value in a higher pick though, if they concede this season I hope they have a top 5-8 pick next year. Drafting a couple spots ahead can really make a difference in terms of the quality of college players available.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Schad » Mon Jun 4, 2018 10:41 pm

I have no problem gambling on a high school pitcher at 12. In order, probably Liberatore, Swaggerty, Stewart, Winn, Kelenic, Gorman, India, Wilcox, Denaburg.
**** your asterisk.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#100 » by emptytheclip » Mon Jun 4, 2018 10:57 pm

Watch for the traditional commercial break before, during, and after the Blue Jays pick

Return to Toronto Blue Jays