ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna charged with assault by Toronto police

Moderator: JaysRule15

WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,287

Re: Blue Jays closer Roberto Osuna charged with assault by Toronto police 

Post#121 » by WaltFrazier » Wed Aug 1, 2018 7:22 pm

It amazes me how the media is pretty much all lined up on one side of the story, saying Osuna had to go. There is another viewpoint, that Roberto is still young, a great talent, a guy who could be a key part of the rebuild. A guy who could put the incident behind him and stay with the same team, like Chapman. But everyone takes the politically correct line.

Except maybe Rosie Dimanno:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/opinion/2018/07/30/blue-jays-close-the-book-on-roberto-osuna.html

“He is a young superstar,” said defence lawyer Domenic Basile, “who will succeed wherever he pitches.”

That should have been here, in Toronto, had uber-management not so horribly misread the fan base. Three years in for the carpetbaggers from Cleveland and they still don’t have a clue.
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,046

Post#122 » by Schad » Wed Aug 1, 2018 7:32 pm

Osuna was not going to play a part of any rebuild, because his contract ends after 2020, and no one in their right mind should give him or any other reliever with past TJ surgery a massive extension.

Also, why the **** is a defense lawyer commenting on his capabilities as a pitcher. That's kinda greasy.
**** your asterisk.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,639

Post#123 » by Kurtz » Wed Aug 1, 2018 7:39 pm

Schad wrote:Osuna was not going to play a part of any rebuild, because his contract ends after 2020, and no one in their right mind should give him or any other reliever with past TJ surgery a massive extension.

Also, why the **** is a defense lawyer commenting on his capabilities as a pitcher. That's kinda greasy.

Welcome to Rosie Dimano's articles. She has a very superficial knowledge of sports, but is not shy about putting out material.

But I believe Osuna's contract ends after 2021 (the suspension cost him a year of service).
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#124 » by Schad » Wed Aug 1, 2018 7:52 pm

Kurtz wrote:Welcome to Rosie Dimano's articles. She has a very superficial knowledge of sports, but is not shy about putting out material.

But I believe Osuna's contract ends after 2021 (the suspension cost him a year of service).

You're correct. Still should've been trade bait; relievers break.

And that's definitely material of some sort. Who the **** has ever called a pitcher a "moundsman"?
**** your asterisk.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,174

Post#125 » by LLJ » Wed Aug 1, 2018 9:14 pm

Kurtz wrote:
Schad wrote:Osuna was not going to play a part of any rebuild, because his contract ends after 2020, and no one in their right mind should give him or any other reliever with past TJ surgery a massive extension.

Welcome to Rosie Dimano's articles. She has a very superficial knowledge of sports, but is not shy about putting out material.

Rosie is that weird rare thing; an agitator in a left-leaning paper.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#126 » by Skin Blues » Thu Aug 2, 2018 2:10 pm

LLJ wrote:
Kurtz wrote:

Rosie is that weird rare thing; an agitator in a left-leaning paper.

I know very little about her but that column was terrible. The fact that her knowledge of baseball seems to be Wikipedia-level at best removes any veil of sincerity. It's like she's trying to single-handedly balance out the lunacy of all the ultra progressives she works with. Two wrongs make a right... right? Ya gotta pick a side, extreme crazy on the left, or extreme crazy on the right. Being reasonable doesn't sell papers!!
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#127 » by johanliebert » Sat Aug 4, 2018 3:59 am

WaltFrazier wrote:It amazes me how the media is pretty much all lined up on one side of the story, saying Osuna had to go. There is another viewpoint, that Roberto is still young, a great talent, a guy who could be a key part of the rebuild. A guy who could put the incident behind him and stay with the same team, like Chapman. But everyone takes the politically correct line.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/opinion/2018/07/30/blue-jays-close-the-book-on-roberto-osuna.html

“He is a young superstar,” said defence lawyer Domenic Basile, “who will succeed wherever he pitches.”

That should have been here, in Toronto, had uber-management not so horribly misread the fan base. Three years in for the carpetbaggers from Cleveland and they still don’t have a clue.

Of course they all sided with the jays front office..half of them work for Rogers.

They gotta get fans to understand why a 23 year old closer with pedigree was moved for scraps.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#128 » by vaff87 » Sat Aug 4, 2018 4:10 am

johanliebert wrote:
WaltFrazier wrote:It amazes me how the media is pretty much all lined up on one side of the story, saying Osuna had to go. There is another viewpoint, that Roberto is still young, a great talent, a guy who could be a key part of the rebuild. A guy who could put the incident behind him and stay with the same team, like Chapman. But everyone takes the politically correct line.

Of course they all sided with the jays front office..half of them work for Rogers.

They gotta get fans to understand why a 23 year old closer with pedigree was moved for scraps.

He wasn’t moved for scraps. That’s just BS.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 408

Post#129 » by manjusaka » Sat Aug 4, 2018 1:42 pm

vaff87 wrote:
johanliebert wrote:

He wasn’t moved for scraps. That’s just BS.

I agree. It is a rather nice package.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#130 » by Schad » Sat Aug 4, 2018 2:46 pm

Osuna's age really doesn't play into it, unless you're planning to extend him. And you shouldn't; long-term, big-money deals for relievers seldom work out all that well. and that's doubly true with Osuna given that the warranty on his first Tommy John will run out a couple years into his next deal. We should have been shopping him even before the charge, and did rather well given the circumstances.
**** your asterisk.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#132 » by BigLeagueChew » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:34 pm

“No one knows what happened but obviously me,” Osuna told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. “Everybody is quick to judge me and say all kinds of things about it. I’m just waiting for everything to come out so people can really wait to see what happened. I would really like the fans, and everybody else, [to] learn what the media says is not true.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/roberto-osuna-speaks-everybody-quick-judge/

Not sure why he couldn't say this a month ago , more quotes in the article.
KL78192020
RealGM
And1: 14,401

Post#133 » by KL78192020 » Sat Sep 1, 2018 2:53 pm

BigLeagueChew wrote:
“No one knows what happened but obviously me,” Osuna told USA Today’s Bob Nightengale. “Everybody is quick to judge me and say all kinds of things about it. I’m just waiting for everything to come out so people can really wait to see what happened. I would really like the fans, and everybody else, [to] learn what the media says is not true.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/roberto-osuna-speaks-everybody-quick-judge/

Not sure why he couldn't say this a month ago , more quotes in the article.

If hes found innocent, another **** trade by Shatkins, giving up the best player in the deal.
BigLeagueChew
RealGM
And1: 4,088

Post#134 » by BigLeagueChew » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:50 pm

Astros right-hander Roberto Osuna appeared at a court hearing and agreed to a one-year peace bond, as Chandler Rome of the Houston Chronicle reports (Twitter links). With that agreement, assault charges from the alleged victim were withdrawn. Under the terms of the peace bond, Osuna will not be permitted to contact the alleged victim for one year and must avoid any further criminal charges. The Athletic’s John Lott further tweets that the complainant is currently in Mexico and declined to return for court proceedings, which led to today’s agreement.

Read on Twitter

Osuna declined to speak with the media upon releasing the courthouse, instead only releasing the following statement via his lawyer (Twitter links via Rome and via Shi Davidi of Sportsnet):

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/09/roberto-osuna-peace-bond-assault-charges-withdrawn-astros.html

“Now I can begin to put these alegations behind me and focus on baseball. I want to thank my family, teammates and fans for believing in me. I am grateful to the Astros for providing me with the opportunity to play baseball and compete for a World Series championship. I will make no further comments about this matter, as I plan on moving past this and look only to the future.”
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#135 » by KL78192020 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:58 pm

So we traded an innocent dude for a pile of rocks. Nice, what was the urgency to trade him again? Team wasn't going anywhere this year.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by Schad » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:10 am

ozzykhan16 wrote:So we traded an innocent dude for a pile of rocks. Nice, what was the urgency to trade him again? Team wasn't going anywhere this year.

That's your takeaway from him agreeing to a peace bond?

MLB would have received information about his actions, which led to his suspension and the Jays' decision to trade him. Ultimately, the alleged victim opted not to testify, as is unfortunately quite common in domestic violence cases. That's a bit different than asserting it was a frame-up.
**** your asterisk.
KL78192020
RealGM

Post#137 » by KL78192020 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:34 am

Schad wrote:
ozzykhan16 wrote:So we traded an innocent dude for a pile of rocks. Nice, what was the urgency to trade him again? Team wasn't going anywhere this year.

That's your takeaway from him agreeing to a peace bond?

MLB would have received information about his actions, which led to his suspension and the Jays' decision to trade him. Ultimately, the alleged victim opted not to testify, as is unfortunately quite common in domestic violence cases. That's a bit different than asserting it was a frame-up.

How does a peace bond implicate him? At the end of the day he was set free, not guilty of any charges. Isn't that called being 'innocent'? All I said was the dude is innocent.
hst420
Senior
And1: 427

Post#138 » by hst420 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 am

Blue Jays organization over a barrel.
Myth11111
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#139 » by Myth11111 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:40 am

Signing a peace deal does not make him innocent. So frustrating that young men are so dumb and really take from the news today that he did nothing wrong and we should have kept him.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by Schad » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:40 am

ozzykhan16 wrote:
How does a peace bond implicate him? At the end of the day he was set free, not guilty of any charges. Isn't that called being 'innocent'? All I said was the dude is innocent.

Greg Hardy is also innocent, legally speaking. He paid off his victim, who then refused to appear in court. I would not employ him, either.

Addison Russell is also innocent, legally speaking. His (now-former) wife refused to cooperate; it has since come to light that she detailed years of physical and emotional abuse at his hands on her blog. I would not employ him, either.

The legal threshold for guilt and innocence is not the same necessary for an employer. I'm glad the Jays got rid of him.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays