May 17-20 West Coast Athletics vs Eastern unathletics

Moderator: JaysRule15

Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Re: May 17-20 West Coast Athletics vs Eastern unathletics 

Post#201 » by Schad » Mon May 21, 2018 6:06 am

manjusaka wrote:high draft pick doesn't guarantee impact talents.

Astros picked Mark Appel and Brady Aiken #1 overall.

Both has issues...

Sure. At the same time, the hit rate on the rest of the Astros' first rounders over the past few years is astonishing, and even Aiken begat Bregman when he failed to sign.
**** your asterisk.
-MetA4-
Head Coach
And1: 465

Post#202 » by -MetA4- » Mon May 21, 2018 9:19 am

vaff87 wrote:The Phillies were so bad for so long, and they don’t have anyone even close to a Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

They're doing alright. Moniak was a stupid pick, but Sixto Sanchez is supposedly better than Casey Mize according to scouts.....
Natural11
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#203 » by Natural11 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:51 am

rottweiler93 wrote:Should we bring back Jose Bautista ?

We have more than enough under-performing vets who should be retired with along with him. Jose was painful to watch last season and looks just as bad or worse this year.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,407

Post#204 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon May 21, 2018 1:10 pm

Natural11 wrote:

We have more than enough under-performing vets who should be retired with along with him. Jose was painful to watch last season and looks just as bad or worse this year.

That would be the ultimate cynical move by the front office to try and boost ticket sales among the casual fan base. They'd be absolutely roasted for doing so.

The only reason Bautista got a job with the Braves is because AA was the GM. He'll be able to find an AAA job if he wants one, but he'll have to prove his way into another MLB job at this point. Very likely his MLB playing career is over.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#205 » by Tanner » Mon May 21, 2018 1:34 pm

Schad wrote:My dude, I don't think that we're going to take it down to the bare metal and pull a Phillies or Astros, but we aren't winning 80-85 games a year during the transition. We can't win 80-85 games when we're trying to compete. We're going to be a pretty bad baseball team next year no matter our intentions, though hopefully we won't be bad for too long thereafter.

I meant we can try to be a 80-85 win team during transition years. Maybe you get lucky and win a WC spot (2015 Yankees) in that scenario. I didn't mean we can be that type of team next year. You don't have to field a team of minor league scrubs to rebuild. You can try to field a palatable team that plays entertaining .500 level ball while transitioning into your next group and it won't hurt any rebuilding efforts (as long as the emphasis on the minor leagues and player development stays consistent).

The Jays two best prospects were acquired during years they made the playoffs. You can win and rebuild at the same time in MLB. I'd rather be the team that tries to do both than the team that sacrifices one for the other.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#206 » by Schad » Mon May 21, 2018 8:07 pm

There need not be any attempt to bottom out a la the Astros, but we're probably going to get pretty close to bottoming out anyway. It'd behoove us to move all of the short-term veterans we can for value, rather than hold on to them and hope to play entertaining .500 ball, particularly as we're unlikely to really approach .500 ball. Now, we can keep adding at the same time, and if we actually do assemble a cast that can do so, even better, but that's more a happy accident than anything.
**** your asterisk.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,319

Post#207 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:12 am

dagger wrote:1. His record doesn't warrant sticking with him any longer

The record is a product of the Jays having not enough good players (or having good players who are underperforming). Has nothing to do with the manager.

2. This team is disappointing in its demonstration of competence in fundamentals, a concern with teaching young players.

Not sure what this means. Is this a criticism of recently acquired guys like Teoscar not knowing how to play the outfield or minor league scrubs like Pompey not knowing how to bunt (which is stupid anyway)? Because that stuff has absolutely nothing to do with this manager.

3. His style and usage of young players is too conservative

He relied heavily on the three youngest players on the roster (Sanchez, Osuna and Stroman) in the team's most recent playoff run, so I have no idea what the basis for this statement is.

4. I don't believe he can relate to young players the way a younger manager can.

And I asked why to this statement and I still haven't gotten an answer yet. Is the theory that this manager would somehow stunt Vlad Jr's development? And if so, why? Is there some evidence that younger managers lead to better production for younger players?

Now I have no problem changing any manager up for the sake of change (Masai fired Casey partly for this reason but mostly as a scapegoat to draw attention off him), but just say it's for that reason. Let's stay away from the nonsense like "Gibbons can't relate to the young generation" as if we have any clue about any of that.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,319

Post#208 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue May 22, 2018 12:19 am

As Pat Tabler's replacement, sure.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
Black Watch
Bench Warmer
And1: 762

Post#209 » by Black Watch » Tue May 22, 2018 3:44 am

Randle McMurphy wrote:Now I have no problem changing any manager up for the sake of change (Masai fired Casey partly for this reason but mostly as a scapegoat to draw attention off him), but just say it's for that reason. Let's stay away from the nonsense like "Gibbons can't relate to the young generation" as if we have any clue about any of that.

Ya done know!
Black Watch and Hamyltowne, my former usernames, are tartan patterns. Nothing to do with any race or any city.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays