May 28-30 Beancounter boys vs Beantowner boys

Moderator: JaysRule15

manjusaka
Senior
And1: 416

Re: May 28-30 Beancounter boys vs Beantowner boys 

Post#61 » by manjusaka » Wed May 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Read on Twitter

As a team, Bluejays does have a similar hitting profile as Grichuk, high swinging strike rate and low contact rate. :wink: :wink:

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Post#62 » by dagger » Wed May 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
dagger
RealGM

Post#63 » by dagger » Wed May 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Jays get a well-deserved day off tomorrow in ... Detroit.
dagger
RealGM

Post#64 » by dagger » Wed May 30, 2018 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Post#65 » by Lateral Quicks » Wed May 30, 2018 9:44 pm

Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 0 out in the 9th. No runs scored. I know it's against Kimbrel, but come on now.

This team is reverting to its swing for the fences approach and striking out a tonne. April was fun because the team was working the counts and not always swinging out of their shoes. I don't know if they're trying to do too much individually now with all the injuries and the lengthy slump, but it's an ugly approach.

I long for players who just try to hit the ball hard, but not necessarily 500 ft. Guys with a 2-strike approach, and the ability to take what the pitcher and/or defense is giving them. Guerrero and Jansen look like they may be such players, and I'm really hoping they don't get ruined by the organization. I'm beginning to think it would be best to keep them away from Jacoby and Gibby. Though at this rate, those two won't be here for long anyways, so it's academic.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
dagger
RealGM

Post#66 » by dagger » Wed May 30, 2018 9:50 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 0 out in the 9th. No runs scored. I know it's against Kimbrel, but come on now.

This team is reverting to its swing for the fences approach and striking out a tonne. April was fun because the team was working the counts and not always swinging out of their shoes. I don't know if they're trying to do too much individually now with all the injuries and the lengthy slump, but it's an ugly approach.

I long for players who just try to hit the ball hard, but not necessarily 500 ft. Guys with a 2-strike approach, and the ability to take what the pitcher and/or defense is giving them. Guerrero and Jansen look like they may be such players, and I'm really hoping they don't get ruined by the organization. I'm beginning to think it would be best to keep them away from Jacoby and Gibby. Though at this rate, those two won't be here for long anyways, so it's academic.

It's why I want a thorough house-cleaning as part of this rebuilding. The future Jays - that of the not too distant future either - will be more athletic, and you want to exploit speed like that with a different offensive approach. The combined homerun output of Donaldson, Morales and Martin in May was awful.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#67 » by So_Fresh » Wed May 30, 2018 9:52 pm

something has to give. This team is slumping. A trade, a firing something please Shatkins!!
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#68 » by So_Fresh » Wed May 30, 2018 9:53 pm

I've seen enough that it's time to fire our hitting coach. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out and you can't manufacture a **** run. Brutal! How many times has that happened this year?
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#69 » by So_Fresh » Wed May 30, 2018 10:08 pm

dagger wrote:Jays get a well-deserved day off tomorrow in ... Detroit.

Good. That's what these overpaid bums deserve.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#70 » by Schad » Wed May 30, 2018 10:32 pm

So_Fresh wrote:I've seen enough that it's time to fire our hitting coach. Runners on 2nd and 3rd with nobody out and you can't manufacture a **** run. Brutal! How many times has that happened this year?

It's not the hitting coach's fault that we have a team full of boom-or-bust hitters. We built a team that, when on, would hit a lot of homers and strike out a lot...they weren't going to manufacture runs. And we do hit for a lot of power: our iso power is the 4th-best in baseball. Unfortunately that hasn't been enough to offset what we knew going in: that we had a tonne of players with miserable on-base rates.
**** your asterisk.
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach

Post#71 » by So_Fresh » Wed May 30, 2018 10:40 pm

sorry for the vent fellas. I need to step away from the Blue Jays and this forum. It's not helping with my blood pressure. I'll come back when management decides to make some changes.
dagger
RealGM

Post#72 » by dagger » Wed May 30, 2018 10:52 pm

So_Fresh wrote:sorry for the vent fellas. I need to step away from the Blue Jays and this forum. It's not helping with my blood pressure. I'll come back when management decides to make changes.

Come back next Monday night, and Tuesday for great draft insight from Schad, Met-A-4 et al. This is another phase of the makeover about to begin
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#73 » by johanliebert » Wed May 30, 2018 11:56 pm

on the bright side morales is turning his season around haha.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#74 » by Tanner » Thu May 31, 2018 3:04 am

I got the feeling prior to the season that by the deadline the Jays were either going to be firmly in the race or so far out of it that they'd sell, so really not disappointed with either scenario (obviously would have preferred the first one). This team will look a lot different by mid 2019 and definitely by 2020 so I wouldn't sweat 2018 too much. I kind of get the feeling the team wants to promote everyone at the same time so the players can hopefully peak together. Wouldn't shock me at all if all of Vlad, Bichette, Biggio, Jansen, Alford, etc, are held down until mid 2019 at the earliest. If all of them have their first full big league seasons in 2020, it would definitely help in building the team on a smaller budget.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Schad » Thu May 31, 2018 3:28 am

My guess is that it'll be staggered a bit more than that. Jansen, I would expect, will be the first one up on a permanent basis; Maile probably gets moved, which shouldn't be challenging given that there are some truly dreadful backup catchers out there, and we get more of Russell Martin, Superutilityman to allow Jansen starter's reps. Alford, who knows; it'll really depend on whether he remembers to make contact.

Beyond those two, I'd expect Biggio and Vlad to hit Buffalo in the not-too-distant future. Bichette might join them (his numbers are thoroughly respectable despite the power outage) or trail behind by a few weeks. No idea what sort of time frame we're looking at for all of them, but the ideal from a service time standpoint would definitely be a month into 2019, though it's less of a concern with Biggio unless we think he's got superstardom in his future. Just calling up the trio on April 19th, 2019 or something would be kinda fun, though.
**** your asterisk.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#76 » by Schad » Thu May 31, 2018 5:48 am

dagger wrote:
So_Fresh wrote:sorry for the vent fellas. I need to step away from the Blue Jays and this forum. It's not helping with my blood pressure. I'll come back when management decides to make changes.

Come back next Monday night, and Tuesday for great draft insight from Schad, Met-A-4 et al. This is another phase of the makeover about to begin

Yeah, this isn't a dark time in Jays land. We'll watch some bad baseball for a few weeks, then we'll get some more prospects, and we'll start to see the homegrown players filter up. This isn't the Phillies circa 2013; this just expedites our transition to being an infinitely more watchable team in relatively short order.
**** your asterisk.
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 416

Post#77 » by manjusaka » Thu May 31, 2018 6:05 am

This is the season that we pay for those "sacrifices the future and win now" moves that we did in the past ie. the Tulo trade and that big long contract of Russ Martin.

The season will be a long one, so be patient. I am anticipating we will transit to the more exiting new generation of players next year.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays