ImageImageImageImageImage

The "Let's Make a Deal" Trade thread.

Moderator: JaysRule15

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

The "Let's Make a Deal" Trade thread. 

Post#1 » by dagger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:36 pm

The rumours will pick up, so let's get the ball rolling.

Read on Twitter
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,411

Re: The "Let's Make a Deal" Trade thread. 

Post#2 » by Lateral Quicks » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:08 pm

With Donaldson still not back, we may be further ahead to hold onto him for the comp pick. That or maybe sign him to a new deal if his value has tanked enough to make it worthwhile.

I'd love to get some quality pitching prospects back this deadline. Although SRF, Harris and Zeuch are having pretty good years, the farm still looks bereft of high end talent, particularly at the upper levels. We could really use a top gun or two in AA or AAA, but I'm not sure we have the trade assets to make that happen.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#3 » by vaff87 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:12 pm

Lateral Quicks wrote:With Donaldson still not back, we may be further ahead to hold onto him for the comp pick. That or maybe sign him to a new deal if his value has tanked enough to make it worthwhile.

I'd love to get some quality pitching prospects back this deadline. Although SRF, Harris and Zeuch are having pretty good years, the farm still looks bereft of high end talent, particularly at the upper levels. We could really use a top gun or two in AA or AAA, but I'm not sure we have the trade assets to make that happen.

A comp pick for Donaldson would be way too low. We'd still get more in a trade.
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#4 » by Cyrus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:38 pm

Hopefully we are looking to deal Haap, Estrada, Donaldson, Pearce, Pillar, some of our Pen guys, anybody that has value.

Guys like Haap / Estrade we can just sign next year if we want them back badly enough, time to get some assets.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Post#5 » by BramptonYute » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Sucks that donaldsons value has tanked so much.

What type of return could we expect?
emptytheclip
Sixth Man
And1: 3,911

Post#6 » by emptytheclip » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 am

After the trade deadline dust settles, if we could acquire two top 100 prospects and a few not as known upside guys, I’d call it a good haul. Considering our best trade chips are rentals and our best player have huge question marks about his health.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#7 » by The_Hater » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:02 pm

BramptonYute wrote:Sucks that donaldsons value has tanked so much.

Just another reason why trying to compete this season was such a horrible idea. Sometimes teams need to look at themselves in the mirror and answer the question ‘how good are we’ with complete honesty. And with the Yanks, Sox and Astros all looking like 100 win teams in the preseason, the decision should have been obvious. We had 10 straight years of these type of patch jobs under Gord Ash.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#8 » by Raptors Realtor » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:27 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Just another reason why trying to compete this season was such a horrible idea. Sometimes teams need to look at themselves in the mirror and answer the question ‘how good are we’ with complete honesty. And with the Yanks, Sox and Astros all looking like 100 win teams in the preseason, the decision should have been obvious. We had 10 straight years of these type of patch jobs under Gord Ash.

Yep, completely agree... Rogers/Atkins gambled big time with a patch job of minor trades which for some unforeseen reason thought would bring them (almost) on par so that they could compete with the likes of Yankees, BoSox & Astros. Donaldson, our best trade chip, value has only gone down since the offseason, after an injury plagued season and being another year older. Whoever made the call to go in this direction this season should be canned, without question, it was short sighted with a high probability of failure.
dagger
RealGM

Post#9 » by dagger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 pm

Rate this deal - one of a number from The Score

To NYY: LHP J.A. Happ
To TOR: RHP Chance Adams, OF Everson Pereira, RHP Juan De Paula

Knowing every win will count in the race for the AL East with the Red Sox, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman pulls the trigger on a deal that brings left-hander J.A. Happ over from the Blue Jays. The Yankees have an immediate need in the rotation with southpaw Jordan Montgomery out following Tommy John and Masahiro Tanaka sidelined with strained hamstrings. Happ's addition gives the Yankees another lefty in the rotation alongside CC Sabathia, which could be beneficial come playoff time should they meet the Red Sox - a team that's struggled against southpaws this season. Happ has had success in the AL East and is a rental, meaning the Yankees don't have to commit to 2019 when some of their young pitchers might be ready to take the next step. For the Blue Jays, they get a bit of an additional boost in the return by selling early while Happ's stock is high, and the thought of trading within the division is easier to swallow with the chance of re-signing the lefty in the offseason. Toronto lands the Yankees' No. 4 ranked prospect in Adams, No. 21 in Pereira, and No. 28 in De Paula in a similar package to what the Rangers received for Yu Darvish last season.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#10 » by phillipmike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Unless you get a really good offer for Donaldson i would keep him. You QO him and if he accepts you have him on a 1 year deal under 20M and you can trade him or he doesnt accept and you likely get a compensatory pick for him. One pick in a vacuum may not seem like much but you should view it on the macro scale of the entire bonus pool and if you have a larger bonus pool then you can end up cutting deals with top end talents like the Rays, Royals, Indians and Padres did. This helps you land better prospects in the draft where it increase your pool to have a better draft as whole. I was very impressed with the Rays, Royals and Indians.
phillipmike
Rookie

Post#11 » by phillipmike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:Yep, completely agree... Rogers/Atkins gambled big time with a patch job of minor trades which for some unforeseen reason thought would bring them (almost) on par so that they could compete with the likes of Yankees, BoSox & Astros. Donaldson, our best trade chip, value has only gone down since the offseason, after an injury plagued season and being another year older. Whoever made the call to go in this direction this season should be canned, without question, it was short sighted with a high probability of failure.

Cant can the owners.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#12 » by Schad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:19 pm

I'd do that. If the Yankees weren't willing to give up a guy who could help them this year, I'd also be fine swapping Adams for Luis Medina, though perhaps with a rework of the other pieces.
**** your asterisk.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#13 » by Skin Blues » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:21 pm

phillipmike wrote:Unless you get a really good offer for Donaldson i would keep him. You QO him and if he accepts you have him on a 1 year deal under 20M and you can trade him or he doesnt accept and you likely get a compensatory pick for him. One pick in a vacuum may not seem like much but you should view it on the macro scale of the entire bonus pool and if you have a larger bonus pool then you can end up cutting deals with top end talents like the Rays, Royals, Indians and Padres did. This helps you land better prospects in the draft where it increase your pool to have a better draft as whole. I was very impressed with the Rays, Royals and Indians.

The only way that the comp pick is more valuable than a prospect from a trade is if Donaldson is injured and can't play the final 2 months of the season. Extra pool money is great but it's not gonna move the needle that much.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Schad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 pm

phillipmike wrote:Unless you get a really good offer for Donaldson i would keep him. You QO him and if he accepts you have him on a 1 year deal under 20M and you can trade him or he doesnt accept and you likely get a compensatory pick for him. One pick in a vacuum may not seem like much but you should view it on the macro scale of the entire bonus pool and if you have a larger bonus pool then you can end up cutting deals with top end talents like the Rays, Royals, Indians and Padres did. This helps you land better prospects in the draft where it increase your pool to have a better draft as whole. I was very impressed with the Rays, Royals and Indians.

Comp picks are good. The round 2 comp pick (in the 75-80 range overall, with a bonus allotment of probably $800-850k) we'd get for Donaldson is worth quite a bit less than what we'd get by trading him, even with his value down.

Now, in the offseason, I'd be quite interested in trading other players for competitive balance picks, once ownership of those picks is established.
**** your asterisk.
phillipmike
Rookie

Post#15 » by phillipmike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:22 pm

dagger wrote:Rate this deal - one of a number from The Score

To NYY: LHP J.A. Happ
To TOR: RHP Chance Adams, OF Everson Pereira, RHP Juan De Paula

Knowing every win will count in the race for the AL East with the Red Sox, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman pulls the trigger on a deal that brings left-hander J.A. Happ over from the Blue Jays. The Yankees have an immediate need in the rotation with southpaw Jordan Montgomery out following Tommy John and Masahiro Tanaka sidelined with strained hamstrings. Happ's addition gives the Yankees another lefty in the rotation alongside CC Sabathia, which could be beneficial come playoff time should they meet the Red Sox - a team that's struggled against southpaws this season. Happ has had success in the AL East and is a rental, meaning the Yankees don't have to commit to 2019 when some of their young pitchers might be ready to take the next step. For the Blue Jays, they get a bit of an additional boost in the return by selling early while Happ's stock is high, and the thought of trading within the division is easier to swallow with the chance of re-signing the lefty in the offseason. Toronto lands the Yankees' No. 4 ranked prospect in Adams, No. 21 in Pereira, and No. 28 in De Paula in a similar package to what the Rangers received for Yu Darvish last season.

If its the best deal i make this trade no problem. An MLB ready back end starter with #3 upside and 1 toolsy OF and a high upside pitcher.
phillipmike
Rookie

Post#16 » by phillipmike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:38 pm

@Schad and @Skin Blues. Of course, the preference is to trade him for a prospect better than the compensation pick you would get for him if it were after the 2nd round but always the hope someone signs him to a deal that nets you a compensation after the 1st round and it would be a fine consolation prize.
dagger
RealGM

Post#17 » by dagger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:54 pm

The Score also says - without attribution - that the Jays are getting a lot of interest in Tepera, not only for his performance this year and last, but because of his small contract and remaining control years. Story suggests he wouldn't go cheaply because of his desirable contract situation. Tepera is 30, so his peak doesn't really coincide with team's next projected contention period.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Schad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:17 pm

phillipmike wrote:@Schad and @Skin Blues. Of course, the preference is to trade him for a prospect better than the compensation pick you would get for him if it were after the 2nd round but always the hope someone signs him to a deal that nets you a compensation after the 1st round and it would be a fine consolation prize.

We aren't eligible for a pick after the 1st round because of our financial standing. It's something I keep screwing up as well, so apologies if I'm the source for that information...the new comp rules are really bloody involved.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#19 » by Tanner » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Happ might be the best sp on the trade market. I’d take that Yankees deal if it was the best deal out there but I think the Jays should be patient on this one. All it takes is one desperate team that sees a window.

And yeah id move Tepera. Relievers can fall off at any moment. If there’s a market now, take advantage.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#20 » by The_Hater » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Raptors Realtor wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Yep, completely agree... Rogers/Atkins gambled big time with a patch job of minor trades which for some unforeseen reason thought would bring them (almost) on par so that they could compete with the likes of Yankees, BoSox & Astros. Donaldson, our best trade chip, value has only gone down since the offseason, after an injury plagued season and being another year older. Whoever made the call to go in this direction this season should be canned, without question, it was short sighted with a high probability of failure.

In defense of Atkins and Shapiro, I'm almost positive this is all on Rogers. One just has to look at what they did in Clevleand over the years and short term patch jobs were never part of the plan.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays