ImageImageImageImageImage

The "Let's Make a Deal" Trade thread.

Moderator: JaysRule15

emptytheclip
Sixth Man
And1: 3,911

Re: The "Let's Make a Deal" Trade thread. 

Post#21 » by emptytheclip » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:07 pm

dagger wrote:Rate this deal - one of a number from The Score

To NYY: LHP J.A. Happ
To TOR: RHP Chance Adams, OF Everson Pereira, RHP Juan De Paula

Knowing every win will count in the race for the AL East with the Red Sox, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman pulls the trigger on a deal that brings left-hander J.A. Happ over from the Blue Jays. The Yankees have an immediate need in the rotation with southpaw Jordan Montgomery out following Tommy John and Masahiro Tanaka sidelined with strained hamstrings. Happ's addition gives the Yankees another lefty in the rotation alongside CC Sabathia, which could be beneficial come playoff time should they meet the Red Sox - a team that's struggled against southpaws this season. Happ has had success in the AL East and is a rental, meaning the Yankees don't have to commit to 2019 when some of their young pitchers might be ready to take the next step. For the Blue Jays, they get a bit of an additional boost in the return by selling early while Happ's stock is high, and the thought of trading within the division is easier to swallow with the chance of re-signing the lefty in the offseason. Toronto lands the Yankees' No. 4 ranked prospect in Adams, No. 21 in Pereira, and No. 28 in De Paula in a similar package to what the Rangers received for Yu Darvish last season.

I’m not so sure about Chance Adams as the main piece of the trade.
phillipmike
Rookie
And1: 1,229

Post#22 » by phillipmike » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Schad wrote:
phillipmike wrote:@Schad and @Skin Blues. Of course, the preference is to trade him for a prospect better than the compensation pick you would get for him if it were after the 2nd round but always the hope someone signs him to a deal that nets you a compensation after the 1st round and it would be a fine consolation prize.

We aren't eligible for a pick after the 1st round because of our financial standing. It's something I keep screwing up as well, so apologies if I'm the source for that information...the new comp rules are really bloody involved.
i

That's another way of saying that those rules are completely asinine and idiotic.
T-d0t
General Manager
And1: 12,914

Post#23 » by T-d0t » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:52 am

I wouldn't take a Chance on that Yankees trade. Would probably get a better haul elsewhere
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#24 » by polo007 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:15 am

dagger wrote:The Score also says - without attribution - that the Jays are getting a lot of interest in Tepera, not only for his performance this year and last, but because of his small contract and remaining control years. Story suggests he wouldn't go cheaply because of his desirable contract situation. Tepera is 30, so his peak doesn't really coincide with team's next projected contention period.

Read on Twitter
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by emptytheclip » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:26 pm

http://riveraveblues.com/2018/06/taking-stock-yankees-trade-chips-prior-deadline-173202/

Yankees’ trade chips:
Tier 1:
Brandon Drury
Clint Frazier
Justus Sheffield

Tier 2:
Estevan Florial (wrist surgery)
Tyler Wade
Billy McKinney
Chance Adams (Elbow)
Albert Abreu

Tier 3
Domingo Acevedo (Blister)
Cody Carroll
Juan De Paula
Freicer Perez (undisclosed DL)
Josh Rogers
Dillon Tate

Since undergoing offseason surgery to remove a bone spur from his right elbow, Adams’ velocity has dipped from the mid-90s to the low-90s — and his command has often been erratic. https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/06/01/yankees-figure-wrong-chance-adams/

The 6-7 righty had been sidelined for over six weeks, with a blister problem that he dealt with back in 2015.
https://www.nj.com/thunder/2018/05/yankees_prospect_domingo_aceve_1.html
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#26 » by vaff87 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:52 pm

emptytheclip wrote:http://riveraveblues.com/2018/06/taking-stock-yankees-trade-chips-prior-deadline-173202/

Yankees’ trade chips:
Tier 1:
Brandon Drury
Clint Frazier
Justus Sheffield

Tier 2:
Tyler Wade
Billy McKinney
Chance Adams (Elbow)
Albert Abreu

Tier 3
Cody Carroll
Juan De Paula
Josh Rogers
Dillon Tate

Since undergoing offseason surgery to remove a bone spur from his right elbow, Adams’ velocity has dipped from the mid-90s to the low-90s — and his command has often been erratic. https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/06/01/yankees-figure-wrong-chance-adams/

The 6-7 righty had been sidelined for over six weeks, with a blister problem that he dealt with back in 2015.

Wait ... why the hell is Brandon Drury so valuable?
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#27 » by Skin Blues » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:03 pm

vaff87 wrote:
emptytheclip wrote:http://riveraveblues.com/2018/06/taking-stock-yankees-trade-chips-prior-deadline-173202/

Yankees’ trade chips:
Tier 1:
Brandon Drury
Clint Frazier
Justus Sheffield

Tier 2:
Tyler Wade
Billy McKinney
Chance Adams (Elbow)
Albert Abreu

Tier 3
Cody Carroll
Juan De Paula
Josh Rogers
Dillon Tate

Wait ... why the hell is Brandon Drury so valuable?

If he was doing what he's doing now, as a 21 year old prospect with 7 years of control rather than a 25 year old that's headed to arbitration next season, it might be a different story.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by emptytheclip » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:06 pm

https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/06/19/yankees-trading-brandon-drury-inevitable/

Well I guess cuz he’s proven he could hit in the majors and currently raking in AAA, but the Yankees like Andujar more.
vaff87
RealGM
And1: 70,824

Post#29 » by vaff87 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:14 pm

emptytheclip wrote:https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/06/19/yankees-trading-brandon-drury-inevitable/

Well I guess cuz he’s proven he could hit in the majors and currently raking in AAA, but the Yankees like Andujar more.

I'd be pissed to trade Happ for a deal centred around Brandon freaking Drury.
Skin Blues
Veteran
And1: 871

Post#30 » by Skin Blues » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:31 pm

emptytheclip wrote:https://yanksgoyard.com/2018/06/19/yankees-trading-brandon-drury-inevitable/

He's proven that he's barely a replacement level major leaguer over the span of 2+ seasons. Very little upside, no remaining pre-arb years. It's like saying Joe Biagini is one of our top tier prospects along with Vlad and Bo.
emptytheclip
Sixth Man

Post#31 » by emptytheclip » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:43 pm

Yeah I would be disappointed if that’s all we get back. I think they can do better.

They need to take a hard look at trade scenarios with the Braves. A few of the Yankees pitching prospects have some alarming question marks, especially health wise. There’s quite a few good prospects in the Braves system
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#32 » by Tanner » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Yeah I'd look at the Braves as well. Deep farm system, real shot at a division title this year, and a new GM that trades prospects like baseball cards.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#33 » by polo007 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:48 am

Read on Twitter
Brave new world
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Brave new world » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 am

What would it take to pry Donaldson & Stroman from the Jays & send them to Atlanta. My offer is 6 prospects, 4 Pitchers, 1 catcher, & 1 OF.
2 guys can step into the MLB rotation tmrw, 2 guys two years away, & 2 solid toolsy position prospects.

Kolby Allard, Ian Anderson, Max Fried, Kyle Muller, Alex Jackson, & Isreanel Wilson.

3 top 100 prospects, 1 just outside, & solid ones. All 6 would be top 20 prosp3cts in the Jays system. Thoughts?
manjusaka
Senior
And1: 416

Post#35 » by manjusaka » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:37 pm

Machado and Moustakas are on the block...

got a feeling that Donaldson will be with us for the remaining of the season, due to lack of demands or lack of values coming back to us.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#36 » by dagger » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:48 pm

Monday's game in Houston could help our trading position - Happ vs Cole, a really solid playoff starting matchup. Ought to be well-scouted.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#37 » by So_Fresh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:12 am

You know what would be awesome if we were able to fleece a team like the Yankees on a Happ trade and he signs with Jays in the off-season. :clap: :usa: :wave:
So_Fresh
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,450

Post#38 » by So_Fresh » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:16 am

manjusaka wrote:Machado and Moustakas are on the block...

got a feeling that Donaldson will be with us for the remaining of the season, due to lack of demands or lack of values coming back to us.

I'm okay with that. Better then getting minimum value in return in a trade and helping someone else advance in the playoffs and possibly win a championship. I wouldn't mind signing Donaldson to a 2 or 3 year contract at the end of this season. No more than 8 million per. I think it's doable. If he continues to be injured this year, teams will shy away from signing him or offering him big money when he becomes a FA.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,095

Post#39 » by Schad » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:20 am

I'm afraid that signing Donaldson to a multi-year deal for $8m per is not even remotely realistic. Even coming off a season where he has been injured and underperformed, you'd be looking at a 1 year, $18m deal (the QO value) at the barest minimum. If he returns and plays reasonably well, he gets 3 years, $60m+.
**** your asterisk.
Tanner
Veteran
And1: 4,173

Post#40 » by Tanner » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:39 pm

This might be a case similar to Estrada last year. He was pitching very poorly at the deadline and they opted to keep him and then re-sign him rather than trade him for junk. Estrada might be more movable now if he keeps pitching the way he has recently. If the market for JD is non existent then hold on to him, give him the qualifying offer and see if he accepts it. A one year QO deal would be perfect for the jays as it would give them an excuse to leave Vlad in the minors until at least June and maybe trade a healthier Donaldson a year from now.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays