ImageImageImageImageImage

Blue Jays board is Over Managed?

Moderator: JaysRule15

wamco
Junior
And1: 46

Re: Blue Jays board is Over Managed? 

Post#21 » by wamco » Sun Aug 5, 2018 2:44 am

I go to other forums for quantity and I come here for quality.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,097

Post#22 » by Schad » Sun Aug 5, 2018 2:55 am

fmradioguy wrote:
vaff87 wrote:I agree with what schad said about too many new topics on a slower board. The fact this board only has a dozen or so posters, if there are countless new threads about every minor topic, they’re not going to amount to much.

I don't post often but have shared the same thoughts in the past.
It's a chicken and egg argument.
Is it a slow board, and therefore it's better to have fewer threads to maximize discussion?
Or is it a slow board because, to potential regulars and new posters, it appears that there are rarely any new discussions, just replies to the same original generalized topic/post? (Although more likely it's slow because the Jays are having a bad season.) But it's something to consider.

Because RealGM is a basketball forum first and foremost, we have a small core of posters on the baseball side, and a larger grouping of people who'll read/post when the team is good. Unfortunately, none of the non-basketball boards ever really took off, in large part because there were already established communities elsewhere when they launched. We're actually the busiest of all the RealGM baseball boards, to the extent that we have almost as many posts here as the other 29 teams combined, which is kinda sad.

I'm certainly open to suggestions, though. No issues with anyone starting threads on anything genuinely newsworthy or simply worthy of a separate discussion. Take the Luke Maile Superstar thread; Skin Blues saw something interesting in his numbers, did a bit of research, and posted a thread. It not only generated discussion, but t-shirts (okay, one t-shirt). Never feel discouraged from starting threads on stuff like that; it's just the "what I think about X" ones or "Y on waivers; should we sign?" sort that tend to clutter the board.
**** your asterisk.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#23 » by The_Hater » Sun Aug 5, 2018 1:11 pm

Schad wrote:We've generally had threads on individual trades involving the Jays before (the Pearce one is still on the first page). I wouldn't have locked a standalone Happ trade thread when the trade went down; as it happened, people just posted in the thread where discussions of trades were already taking place.

If the Jays make a significant roster move (as a guidepost, DFAing whatever a Brandon Cumpton is will not count as a significant roster move), feel free to make a thread about it, so long as the thread's made relatively soon after the move. If, like, several hours have passed and there's already a discussion happening elsewhere, having two threads is just going to fragment things.

Individual threads for trades/major transactions involving MLB level players and the Jays is a must. Those shouldn’t all be thrown in a single thread.

Other than that, I don’t see any issues. A clean board is better than a bunch of junk threads popping up.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,513

Post#24 » by S.W.A.N » Sun Aug 5, 2018 11:18 pm

This board is well run. Don't dare make it more like the Raps board. OP is drunk
We the North
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#25 » by bluerap23 » Mon Aug 6, 2018 1:51 pm

North_of_Border wrote:
BigLeagueChew wrote:What is it exactly that you want to discuss about in various threads other than what we already have?
For example, if I were to make a topic on the Happ trade.

Did you actually make a thread that was locked or merged? Or are you just starting $hit?

I just think there are fewer people posting on the jays board than the raptors board. This is realgm. There are other jay forums with more volume.
bluerap23
Head Coach
And1: 6,574

Post#26 » by bluerap23 » Mon Aug 6, 2018 1:53 pm

Schad wrote:
fmradioguy wrote:
vaff87 wrote:I agree with what schad said about too many new topics on a slower board. The fact this board only has a dozen or so posters, if there are countless new threads about every minor topic, they’re not going to amount to much.

I don't post often but have shared the same thoughts in the past.
It's a chicken and egg argument.
Is it a slow board, and therefore it's better to have fewer threads to maximize discussion?
Or is it a slow board because, to potential regulars and new posters, it appears that there are rarely any new discussions, just replies to the same original generalized topic/post? (Although more likely it's slow because the Jays are having a bad season.) But it's something to consider.

Because RealGM is a basketball forum first and foremost, we have a small core of posters on the baseball side, and a larger grouping of people who'll read/post when the team is good. Unfortunately, none of the non-basketball boards ever really took off, in large part because there were already established communities elsewhere when they launched. We're actually the busiest of all the RealGM baseball boards, to the extent that we have almost as many posts here as the other 29 teams combined, which is kinda sad.

I'm certainly open to suggestions, though. No issues with anyone starting threads on anything genuinely newsworthy or simply worthy of a separate discussion. Take the Luke Maile Superstar thread; Skin Blues saw something interesting in his numbers, did a bit of research, and posted a thread. It not only generated discussion, but t-shirts (okay, one t-shirt). Never feel discouraged from starting threads on stuff like that; it's just the "what I think about X" ones or "Y on waivers; should we sign?" sort that tend to clutter the board.

I like this board BECAUSE it isn't overrun with too much content. The raptors board is out of control at times.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays