ImageImageImageImageImage

Rate Shatkins at the mid-way mark of 2018

Moderator: JaysRule15

LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,169

Re: Rate Shatkins at the mid-way mark of 2018 

Post#21 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Thu Aug 9, 2018 7:09 pm

we can only rank this mgmt team 5 years down the road tbh. they were given a quickly aging roster, dumped their mainstays and it completely changed the culture (Bautista and EE) We still have MArtin and Tulo still.

I wouldn't even know how AA would have handled this. he brought the core together for 2 years and i highly doubt he would trade any of his vets right away. He probably would have resigned EE if he was allowed to as well. We would probably be calling for his head right about now with this team.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Marmoset
Veteran
And1: 563

Post#22 » by Marmoset » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:26 am

My rating to this point would be 'meh'. I'm not thrilled with the way they have managed the big league roster, but it hasn't been horrible, just okay. I won't rehash the biggest issues (not rebuilding & holding onto guys, "competing", etc.), some of which may or may not be marching orders from ownership.

The minor league system seems to be full of position prospects which is something we haven't had in eons and gives promise for the future. If that system leads to a perennial contending team, then I'll forget about 2017 and 2018 in a hurry. I think 2019 will be much better even if the teams's record is worse because we'll really be starting to see the young guys in the lineup.

Did anyone hear McCown earlier today talking about Shatkins? It's been clear he's not a fan of these guys for a while, but he quite directly said that senior Rogers people are not happy with Shapiro. I don't think he would say this if he didn't have reason to think it's true. Now, the reasons for that are up for debate. McCown gave me the impression that at least some of it is personality, but also that senior management may not agree with some decisions. Does that mean Rogers still wants to 'compete', or does it mean something else?
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#23 » by johanliebert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am

Marmoset wrote:My rating to this point would be 'meh'. I'm not thrilled with the way they have managed the big league roster, but it hasn't been horrible, just okay. I won't rehash the biggest issues (not rebuilding & holding onto guys, "competing", etc.), some of which may or may not be marching orders from ownership.

The minor league system seems to be full of position prospects which is something we haven't had in eons and gives promise for the future. If that system leads to a perennial contending team, then I'll forget about 2017 and 2018 in a hurry. I think 2019 will be much better even if the teams's record is worse because we'll really be starting to see the young guys in the lineup.

Did anyone hear McCown earlier today talking about Shatkins? It's been clear he's not a fan of these guys for a while, but he quite directly said that senior Rogers people are not happy with Shapiro. I don't think he would say this if he didn't have reason to think it's true. Now, the reasons for that are up for debate. McCown gave me the impression that at least some of it is personality, but also that senior management may not agree with some decisions. Does that mean Rogers still wants to 'compete', or does it mean something else?

Also added shapiro’s Job may be on the line.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays